The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Yet again, is the city taking an anti-business stance? What do you guys think? Should a dentists office (one that will probably STAY in business) be allowed to occupy a retail store near Rosa Parks Circle? Where Pita House was?

http://www.mlive.com..._was_grand.html

That space has gone through how many tenants (?) in the 6 years that this thread has been going?

Yet again, is the city taking an anti-business stance? What do you guys think? Should a dentists office (one that will probably STAY in business) be allowed to occupy a retail store near Rosa Parks Circle? Where Pita House was?

http://www.mlive.com..._was_grand.html

That space has gone through how many tenants (?) in the 6 years that this thread has been going?

Did you read those comments following the original article? A whole bunch of "I live downtown and that location needs retail" type comments. Excuse me, but if that is such a hotspot for retail/restaurant activity then why is it vacant... AGAIN. The DDA is apparently in a competition with SWAN for the 2012 NIMBY award.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going in next to Lee and Birch at Louis / Ionia? It has a "leased" sign and construction crews are hard at work in the space.

Joe

I noticed the activity in there when I rode by today. There was an Orion Construction sign in the window and it appeared some wood studded walls were going up to split the space into smaller areas. From the little bit I saw, I'd speculate it's some kind of offices and not the retail I had hoped would compliment Lee and Birch. However, I really don't know for sure. Maybe next time I will stop in a Lee and Birch and ask.

If I remember correctly, wasn't this space supposed to be a retail incubator similar to MoDiv? I thought the city had approved this space and one other for incentives (need coffee, my memory is fuzzy. :) ).

Joe

Yes, this space was supposed to be a retail incubator similar to MoDiv. I don't recall if it was approved, but it may still be the plan. However the building now has new owners. Maybe plans have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Was downtown today and saw a sign that Sweet Yo's is moving into the space that the dentist was refused space. Good idea passing now?

I think it certainly fits what the city was hoping for in terms of a retail/food service vs a services orientated business. I am okay either way as both options filled up an empty storefront.

Was downtown today and saw a sign that Sweet Yo's is moving into the space that the dentist was refused space. Good idea passing now?

I think it certainly fits what the city was hoping for in terms of a retail/food service vs a services orientated business. I am okay either way as both options filled up an empty storefront.

Dentist office would probably have better longevity, particularly with Kilwin's next door. I've never even heard of a dentist office going out of business (just when a dentist retires).

But true, the dentist might look at Ottawa, or the old Three Crowns space.

Dentist office would probably have better longevity, particularly with Kilwin's next door. I've never even heard of a dentist office going out of business (just when a dentist retires).

But true, the dentist might look at Ottawa, or the old Three Crowns space.

Considering how they were treated, if I were the dentists I'd be looking at a completely different city.

\

Is this a franchise/chain operation, or are they the same Sweet Yo's that opened in EGR this summer?