The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting article in StrongTowns today (actually from 2018 but they're promoting it today on FB):

What’s up with all those empty commercial storefronts in new mixed-use developments?

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2018/6/5/whats-up-with-all-those-empty-commercial-storefronts-in-new-mixed-use-developments

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Has REI ever done a small scale urban store like Moosejaw is?

On another note - I love seeing how far GR has come since this post.

On 10/10/2006 at 12:33 PM, starrfish said:

These vacancies are VERY prominent and will just add to the drag on Monroe Ctr created by other vacant spaces along Monroe Ctr. Hopefully it will be seen as an opportunity for someone with a great idea and some capital! With the Art Museum across the street - those spaces are prime and I can see the rents going up just for that reason.

On a related note - I was downtown on Sunday afternoon to see the Eames exhibit at the current GRAM with friends. We wanted to get a light snack and nearly everything on Monroe Center was closed. If downtown GR wants to be a contender, they need to stop rolling up the sidewalks on Sundays and get people to think differently about DT as a destination. Come on! We had money to spend and didn't get to spend it at bite, Four Friends, Olive Express, Big O's (all options we considered until realizing one after the other as we walked that they were closed.) We ended up at the City Market for a sandwich and junk food, so at least something food related was open. There weren't many people downtown either.

In comparison, I was in EGR later on that afternoon and their new retail was rockin' - Olga's was open with people sitting outside, Jersey Junction was open and crawling with ice cream eaters. Tons of people just walking around enjoying the scene.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, egrguy said:

I was curious if the location could be a Dicks Public Lands store. Seems like that and Moosejaw have some overlap. 

My understanding is that they are moving Moosejaw's operations from Madison Heights to be with Public Lands in Pittsburg.  Unfortunately, Dick's will likely ruin the company culture of Moosejaw and the brand loyalty along with it . The stores played a large role in making Moosejaw what it is;  typically had well trained staff, would price match, and sponsor local climbing, biking, and other competitions.  Wal-Mart largely left Moosejaw alone to continue operating independently. 

Edited by demhem
more context
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Paramaribo said:

Bravo LT decamped from the ground floor in the Peck Building, and Rockford Construction is prepping for a new tenant. Could be a 24 hour omelet place or a well-known retailer with roots in Detroit. I'm thinking it's the latter. 

Both sound interesting! Maybe a Carhartt store like they have on Cass Street in Detroit? They seem to put stores in urban areas (Carhartt is such an interesting company; affordable, yet has street cred). An 24 hour breakfast place would be great as well.

Either way, it'll be nice to have something with a little more street level activity on that corner. Offices are better than empty space, but retail or restaurants > office space.

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Both sound interesting! Maybe a Carhartt store like they have on Cass Street in Detroit? They seem to put stores in urban areas (Carhartt is such an interesting company; affordable, yet has street cred). An 24 hour breakfast place would be great as well.

Either way, it'll be nice to have something with a little more street level activity on that corner. Offices are better than empty space, but retail or restaurants > office space.

Joe

I was thinking Shinola. Seems like about the right footprint and location for one of their stores. 

We came across urban Carhartt stores in Europe. It is definitely a trendy street wear brand over there. 

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paramaribo said:

Bravo LT decamped from the ground floor in the Peck Building, and Rockford Construction is prepping for a new tenant. Could be a 24 hour omelet place or a well-known retailer with roots in Detroit. I'm thinking it's the latter. 

I've never felt that was a "great" fit for a prominent spot like that. It has had some interesting places over the past 20 years, though.  Hoping for something more active.

• 2 months later...