Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HartfordNick

What Happened to The Park Street Gateway

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks, ive been reading all of your wonderful blogs for the past year or so I finally decided to join the coversation! You all have such great opinions of the area. Its nice to find like minded people interested in bringing Hartford back to what it once was.

Anyway, what ever happened to the Park Street development? Weren't they supposed to start building this spring?

Hey folks, ive been reading all of your wonderful blogs for the past year or so I finally decided to join the coversation! You all have such great opinions of the area. Its nice to find like minded people interested in bringing Hartford back to what it once was.

Anyway, what ever happened to the Park Street development? Weren't they supposed to start building this spring?

they'll get that up right after they finish building layfayette place....

Incidentally, I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I'm not sold on the architecture for this. When you consider the setting--Main and Park St.--a Spanish motif may well represent the current culture of Park Street, but is it going to detract from the New England charm of the architecture surrounding South Green? Unless the building materials are truly quality--which never seems to be the case anymore--there's a real chance that this thing could look like a parody of Spanish archicture, rather than something authentic, Spanish or New England. Moreover, I can't stand arches over the entrances to streets. I don't know why we insist on blocking views; rather than serve as a gateway to Park Street, I think blocking the view of the street closes it off and makes it less inviting. The last design I saw made it look like you were entering a parking garage, not turning onto Main Street, Little San Juan.

Incidentally, I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I'm not sold on the architecture for this. When you consider the setting--Main and Park St.--a Spanish motif may well represent the current culture of Park Street, but is it going to detract from the New England charm of the architecture surrounding South Green? Unless the building materials are truly quality--which never seems to be the case anymore--there's a real chance that this thing could look like a parody of Spanish archicture, rather than something authentic, Spanish or New England. Moreover, I can't stand arches over the entrances to streets. I don't know why we insist on blocking views; rather than serve as a gateway to Park Street, I think blocking the view of the street closes it off and makes it less inviting. The last design I saw made it look like you were entering a parking garage, not turning onto Main Street, Little San Juan.