Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grock

Sodo

18 posts in this topic

Seems like Hartford's Sodo (south downtown) neighborhood is coming back. The Emperor at the Linden is getting rave reviews and is just what the city needs more of, a 7 day a week restaurant. Capuccino's offers breakfast and coffee and some amazing soups and sandwiches. Masala's opens at the old Low Country as an upscale Indian restaurant. The owners are from New Haven. If they can only get rid of the methodone clinic and the rooming house on Buckingham they'd be all set. Met some folks even a cop who live in the Capitol Avenue brownstones during the parade and they were having parties all over their steps. Some guy who works for the city says they want to build more townhouses near the Bushnell.

Seems like Hartford's Sodo (south downtown) neighborhood is coming back. The Emperor at the Linden is getting rave reviews and is just what the city needs more of, a 7 day a week restaurant. Capuccino's offers breakfast and coffee and some amazing soups and sandwiches. Masala's opens at the old Low Country as an upscale Indian restaurant. The owners are from New Haven. If they can only get rid of the methodone clinic and the rooming house on Buckingham they'd be all set. Met some folks even a cop who live in the Capitol Avenue brownstones during the parade and they were having parties all over their steps. Some guy who works for the city says they want to build more townhouses near the Bushnell.

I know there have been plans (at least in the past) to create a new brownstone neighborhood along the Capitol Avenue corridor between the Bushnell and Main Street. I assume the state-owned parking lots would be consolidated into a new garage nearby.

I always thought this idea would be a huge boon to South Green. Given the proximity to downtown, Bushnell Park, and the Capitol, one could essentially create Hartford's version of Beacon Hill with brownstones, shaded cobblestone side streets, and some retail space at certain intersections. Unfortunately, the housing market doesn't look it could support such a massive project right now.

With so many sites all over the city, why did they place the clinic there?

I know there have been plans (at least in the past) to create a new brownstone neighborhood along the Capitol Avenue corridor between the Bushnell and Main Street. I assume the state-owned parking lots would be consolidated into a new garage nearby.

I always thought this idea would be a huge boon to South Green. Given the proximity to downtown, Bushnell Park, and the Capitol, one could essentially create Hartford's version of Beacon Hill with brownstones, shaded cobblestone side streets, and some retail space at certain intersections. Unfortunately, the housing market doesn't look it could support such a massive project right now.

The state isn't going out of business--and won't bow to employee demand for suburban living--so it's absurd that it feels compelled to offer its employees free parking at all. Let's see how big a garage we need when the state begins to charge its employees a reasonable amount for parking, then they can decide, like the rational bureaucrats they are, whether it's more economical to take a commuter bus. I wonder if the union contracts require free parking; I bet they do.

The biggest problem is the state-owned parking lots. I am not quite sure how many cars park there during weekdays, but it will take a huge garage to accommodate all those cars. Where will it be located and who is going to pay for it? Anyone wants to develop the brownstone neighborhood needs to address that.

Heard Tinker's Seafood is coming to the neighborhood.

Heard Tinker's Seafood is coming to the neighborhood.

Heard it is across from Library next to Subway

I would suggest constructing a four to six-level parking garage between Buckingham and Capitol. The garage would be across the street from the Bushnell's Belden Theater. State employees would use it by day and Bushnell patrons would use it by night and on weekends. The state would pay for it. The state could charge customers in order to recoup some of the garage's costs. I don't care who would operate the garage (state, city, private contractor, etc.). Well...on second thought...maybe not the city. ;)

It would also make sense that Hartford Stage's new location be on Capitol along with Theatreworks. You would have the makings of a theater/entertainment district. This would undoubedtly attract restaurants, cafes and maybe even a hotel.

OK, in the old Municipal Building. That's not bad at all for that building and I think that fills the retail on that spot to capicity with DD on one side, Subway on the other, and now Tinker's in the middle.

It would make sense for the state to construct a municipal parking garage adjacent to the state office building across from the Bushnell. It would also make sense that Hartford Stage's new location be on Capitol along with Theatreworks. You would have the makings of a theater/entertainment district. This would undoubedtly attract restaurants, cafes and maybe even a hotel.

It would make sense for the state to construct a municipal parking garage adjacent to the state office building across from the Bushnell. It would also make sense that Hartford Stage's new location be on Capitol along with Theatreworks. You would have the makings of a theater/entertainment district. This would undoubedtly attract restaurants, cafes and maybe even a hotel.