Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tennreb

Wyndham Garden to become Crowne Plaza

11 posts in this topic

Intercontinental is turning the Wyndham Garden downtown into a Crowne Plaza. This is great news. The Wyndham Garden is a really bad hotel. Crowne Plaza isn't quite a Westin, but they are good hotels. I love the Astor Crowne Plaza in New Orleans.

This will be nice! I hate that the Wyndham Garden was never spruced up to be a true Wyndham hotel, but it will be good to see the Crowne Plaza moniker return to Memphis.

The Wyndham Garden is between 2nd and 3rd streets across from the Marriott. Its north side faces I-40. Anyone know whether the hotel will be purchased/operated by a franchisee or by Intercontinental Hotels Group? I couldn't really tell from the MBJ article. Having the Crowne Plaza logo facing I-40 will be a bit of a boost in prestige.

Wasn't The Marriott once a Crowne Plaza in the mid to late 80s/early 90s? I stayed in that hotel in 1987 and I am pretty sure that's what it used to be. That's ironic to be so close to the other building.

The current Marriott started life as a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza in the 80s back when the Crowne Plaza label was affixed to larger, higher-end Holiday Inn hotels. In 1994, Bass PLC/Intercontinental Hotels Group (owner of the Holiday Inn brand) took the Crowne Plaza designation off the higher end HI's and made it a stand-alone upscale brand between Holiday Inn (and HI-Select) and Intercontinental.

The current Marriott started life as a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza in the 80s back when the Crowne Plaza label was affixed to larger, higher-end Holiday Inn hotels. In 1994, Bass PLC/Intercontinental Hotels Group (owner of the Holiday Inn brand) took the Crowne Plaza designation off the higher end HI's and made it a stand-alone upscale brand between Holiday Inn (and HI-Select) and Intercontinental.

Wow, I didn't even know that. I guess that's also the reason why the Crowne Plaza in Nashville became a Sheraton hotel around the same time, because I remember staying over there twice in the mid-90s.

Come to think of it, you don't often see the Crowne Plaza moniker used around these parts lately.

The downtown Memphis hotel market is just getting stronger with this announcement, the recent opening of the Westin and the recent announcement of a Hyatt Regency coming to One Beale.

Wow, I didn't even know that. I guess that's also the reason why the Crowne Plaza in Nashville became a Sheraton hotel around the same time, because I remember staying over there twice in the mid-90s.

Come to think of it, you don't often see the Crowne Plaza moniker used around these parts lately.