100 West Livingston

bic

100 West Livington

100wlivingston7qz2.jpg

Project Description

The applicant requests approval of a Master Plan for a phased mixed-use development in the Downtown Activity Center. The project consists of two towers housing approximately 514,590 sq. ft. of office, 49,600 sq. ft. of retail, 350 hotel rooms, 120 residential condos, and a 10-level parking garage for 1,405 vehicles. An intensity bonus will be required.

The +2.97 acre subject property is located at 100 West Livingston Street. It is bound by Livingston and Robinson Streets on the north and south, respectively, and by the CSX railroad tracks and North Garland Avenue to the east and west, respectively. The proposed project is comprised of two towers with 120 residential units and 915,086 sq. ft. of non-residential space that includes 350 hotel rooms.

Massing and Building Heights

100 West Livingston Street will include two towers 358 ft. and 349 ft. tall and a parking deck that reaches approximately 110 ft. The Bank of America Building to the east is 409 ft. in height. The Center Place development to the north has an approved height of 344 ft. The Orange County Court House, one block to the east, is 417 ft. The AC-3A/T zoning district prescribes no height limit, and the application states that the FAA approved building height up to 382 ft.

Background and Existing Development

The subject site contains some of the oldest non-residential structures in the city, as it is located adjacent to the railroad tracks. The subject site contains four buildings originally designed for warehouse uses constructed between 1901-1926. The buildings are not designated as historic structures. The building closest to Livingston Street currently contains the Orlando Weekly newspaper offices. A few other business and organizations occupy other portions of the buildings.

Phasing

100 West Livingston Street will be developed in two phases. Phase I will consist of an office tower and parking garage on the eastern portion of the property, and a skate park on the southwest corner. Phase II involves removal of the skate park and construction of a hotel/residential tower in its place.

Phase I. The office building on the northeast corner will provide ground level restaurants, retail space, and a lobby. On the east facade, facing Gertrude's Walk, ground floor retail will extend up to the parking garage. The remaining space within the 25-story structure will contain 514,950 sq. ft. of office space. Phase I will also include a 10-level parking garage, capped with a landscaped amenity deck for residents and hotel guests, and a skate park where the Phase II structure will be located.

Phase II. A 35-story building will replace the skate park located at the southwest portion of the property. The ground floor will contain hotel and residential lobbies and a restaurant. The additional floors will include 350,896 sq. ft. of hotel space, which will include 350 hotel rooms, meeting rooms, and a ballroom. The remaining floors above the hotel will contain 120 residential units.

Gertrude's Walk

Gertrude's Walk is a partially-existing pedestrian path that is planned ultimately to run from South Street (just west of City Hall) northward to the Dinky Line trail south of Lake Ivanhoe. The Walk currently extends as far north as Washington Street, approximately 1,000 ft. south from this property. The Walk runs along the eastern boundary of the subject site between the proposed structures and the CSX railroad. The portion running along the proposed office building will be lined with ground floor commercial. Landscaping and display boxes with artifacts will lined the portion of the Walk adjacent to the garage. The portion of the Walk adjacent to the parking ramp is nearly 300 ft. long. Staff conditions address measures to break up the monotony of the parking garage by increased landscaping and improved design to improve the quality of the artifact display boxes. Several other conditions address the safety of the Walk through minimum paved width, alignment, and lighting.

Skate Park

The applicant proposes to construct a skate park on the southwest corner of the proposed Phase II hotel/residential tower. The park will be removed when Phase II is constructed. Staff has placed several conditions on the installation of the skate park to provide safe recreation opportunities and provide an appropriate transition after the park is removed for Phase II development. Specifically, staff strongly encourages the applicant to work with the Orlando Parks Department to find a permanent location for the park after its removal. This will provide skates with a dedicated location to skate other than constructed on-site hardscaped areas. Other conditions of the park require final review and approval from the Police, Parks, and Planning Departments; controlled access to the park; and final review of lighting at the park by the Planning and Permitting Divisions. Additionally, staff does not require that the proposed park be a skate park.

Summary and Recommendation

The proposed project would provide additional density in an area that continues to attract downtown's tallest buildings, and transform the under-developed downtown subject property with a quality mixed-development. The Bank of America Building, the Orange County Court House, and the proposed Center Place--Downtown are all within one block of the subject site. Additionally, the project will provide a crucial link between the downtown to the east and the proposed Creative Village to the west, which currently contains the Amway Arena and Bob Carr Performing Arts Center. This area is becoming a hub that will likely see even more intense development in the future due to the proximity of the central bus station, the proposed downtown commuter rail station, and an I-4 exit ramp. Based on the foregoing analysis and subject to the conditions in this report, staff recommends approval of the requested Master Plan.

100wlivingston2zd5.jpg

100wlivingston1yt6.jpg

100wlivingston6yt6.jpg

100wlivingston5qm2.jpg

100wlivingston8oi5.jpg

100wlivingston4br3.jpg

100wlivingston3ih2.jpg

PS: Thanks to Tim for sending me the PDF file of this case that does not load on the MPB web site.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have an inclination of the likelihood this will get built? I think we all pretty much know what's required for financing to get a condo tower off the ground, but is it easier or more difficult to get an office tower off the ground? Does this developer have deep pockets? Is this project tied to the Fortune 500 company rumored to be moving to Orlando?

Also, I'm surprised the old :08 building they're going to demolish for this project doesn't have some sort of historical protection. It's one of the few buildings/venues we have in downtown with actual character -- and bricks. I really wish phase one would be on the west side of the property rather than the east so they could leave the old building alone in case phase two never happens ...

i know that PBLT was shopping the property when it was for sale. plus architectonica was involved with the design of the center place property when pblt was trying to develop it. with bic's excellent summary (thanks man) it sounds to be pblt. anyone know for sure?

Just my opinion, but I don't think the designs are all that great. I know that a project like this would go through many alterations, so I totally support it. It's a great location and infill... what if they were to make it more like the 330 Central Project at it's full height. That wouldn't be half bad in this spot and would look stunning from I-4 and to commuters going to the streets from the LYNX Central Station IMO.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the designs are all that great. I know that a project like this would go through many alterations, so I totally support it. It's a great location and infill... what if they were to make it more like the 330 Central Project at it's full height. That wouldn't be half bad in this spot and would look stunning from I-4 and to commuters going to the streets from the LYNX Central Station IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that Sky Development Inc. out of South Florida received approval to build a $300 million mixed-use project at 100 West Livingston. Its name is to be SkyCity and it will consist of two towers-- SkyTower I (sound familiar?) will be a 25-story Class-A office building with 515,000 square feet. The first 10 stories will house parking and the 11th floor will feature a 20,000-square-foot fitness center.

I hope this go thru, just based on the fact that, they try to jump start Grtrude Walke with 20K retails. We need a signature attration downtown. If the entire getrude walk filled with stores & gallery, it will be great.

Plus, I am tired of driving thru that empty lot everyday when i go to work.

I like it. It looks like it has been around for time and is quite representative of your "typical" big-city highrise. I dunno, it is unlike anything else and that is going to be one thing Orlando is known for in 40 or 50 years - it's diversity of architecture.

Archived