SF Pictures of the Day II

Charles Pearson

Chinatown was awesome! Wouldn't you know that the one evening I go into the city without my camera is the evening I end up in Chinatown, slaloming down Lombard Street, and walking along the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building. Now that I know my way around, I'm looking forward to my next trip out there with a camera.

Here's one taken during my return trip from my short venture over into Oakland:

1399247515_bf68adc116_b.jpg

WARNING: THIS WAS TAKEN BY A PROFESSIONAL DRIVING PHOTOGRAPHER ON A CLOSED COURSE. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME.

P.S. Oakland did have a beautiful downtown, but it was utterly LIFELESS. Where were all the people? San Francisco?

Yes, my friend and I have debated how in the world you took that photo in the tunnel...since traffic is traveling so fast or least 55 MPH...Of course, you didn't stand in the middle of one of the lanes?

Chinatown is always a thrill...I'm working now out in the Avenues in the Richmond district (between Golden Gate Park and Mountain Lake Park on 6th Ave at Geary) and its near what I call San Francisco's new Chinatown - Clement Street from about 4th Ave. down to 10th Avenue...It's old Chinatown with a wider boulevard and a small town feel, and no tourists...

Oaktown or Oakland's downtown has lots of potential with imposing old art deco buildings like the old Fox Theatre. I've seen old photos of downtown in 1940s and downtown then was as bustling as San Francisco. These days the only thing going for Oak's retail seems to be WalMart...Yeah, Oakland finally got a WalMart. So one of these days I will finally get a chance to check out my first WalMart. I believe Oakland's WM is a supercenter that's close to San Leandro.

Though downtown is dead, there are some cool or rather gentrified neighborhoods in Oakland with their own mini "downtowns" like Rockridge District out on College Ave which bustles with tons of coffee houses, restaurants and bars, bookstores and some interesting upscale shops (clothing, furniture). Lots of handsome/pretty people always around this toney neighborhood to look at while sipping a hot cup of java... Popular Market Hall near Rockridge BART Station reminds me of Paris, France...

Edited by Zahc

Yes, my friend and I have debated how in the world you took that photo in the tunnel...since traffic is traveling so fast or least 55 MPH...Of course, you didn't stand in the middle of one of the lanes?

It was really very simple...I kinda just held the camera up with my right hand and kept driving with my left in hopes that I had the focal length set to an appropraite value and the camera level. :P This one turned out alright. Most others that I attempted using the same technique did not.

Chinatown is always a thrill...I'm working now out in the Avenues in the Richmond district (between Golden Gate Park and Mountain Lake Park on 6th Ave at Geary) and its near what I call San Francisco's new Chinatown - Clement Street from about 4th Ave. down to 10th Avenue...It's old Chinatown with a wider boulevard and a small town feel, and no tourists...

I wasn't far from there on Saturday as it was Highway 1 that I took up to Muir Woods/Salsalito. I crossed Geary probably just a few blocks from where you work. That whole side of the city did have very much a close-knitt neighborhood feel to it.

It's not San Francisco, but the Standord Campus in Palo Alto was beautiful:

1399252733_dbdcf43e86_b.jpg

1399255741_24dca05ce2_b.jpg

1400156218_40c2a6ce98_b.jpg

Folsom Street Fair was as crowded as usual with some 400,000 people in attendance. I was bit wasted to photograph anything properly...but Fred A. captured the flavor of this year's event very well...Next weekend, Castro Street Fair on Sunday, Oct. 7...

07UYA_4865.jpg

The Poster that stirred up the Christian-Right...

FSF2007_poster_web_582px.jpg

As seen here many times in this thread, NORTH BEACH is named one of the best Neighborhoods in the USA. DC's Eastern Market, San Diego's Hillcrest and Brooklyn's Park Slope also made that list. But where's the Castro? my 'hood that's turned into a urban sprawl these days & prob. a lost identity that's being worked on now-a-days. One crazy theme was to turn the CASTRO into OZ with yellow-painted streets or yellow brick roads like Dorothy discovered in Wizard of Oz. A crazy idea!!!...This year, there will be no Halloween Party in the Castro due to last year's shootings that injured several people....But NorthBeach is a great 'hood to live with its mix of mom & pops, coffee houses, shops, bookstores, adult entertainment, parks, playgrounds and churches, and no chain stores...

Full Chronicle Article

2007 GREAT NEIGHBORHOODS

Chatham Village

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Eastern Market

Washington, D.C.

Elmwood Village

Buffalo, New York

First Addition

Lake Oswego, Oregon

Hillcrest

San Diego, California