CA Hwy 1 (SF) to Devil's Slide/Half Moon Bay

Charles Pearson

...driving down Highway 1 from San Francisco through San Mateo County's beautiful and often fogged-in (but not this day!)city of Pacifica down to Half Moon Bay is always a fun adventure for a weekend of hiking, beach walking or sunning, sketching and painting...

A Pacifica beach...

hwy1_a%20Pacifica%20Beach.JPG

Pacifica hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean...

hwy1_Pacifica.JPG

Devil's Slide/Highway 1 carved through the rocks/cliffs along the Pacific...

hwy1_California_DevilsSlide.JPG

Devil's Slide/Hwy 1

Hwy1_DevilsSlide%202.JPG

Meadows, hills and mountains/ Town of Half Moon Bay (from the car)

hwy1_halfmoonbay.JPG

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I love walkable cities that's not dependent on the "car"...though, I tell you car people are far more friendly these days in Berkeley across the Bay than in San Francisco, where they seem to be in an awful rush w/o much attention to the us pedestrians anymore...ON a daily basis, you can hear a pedestrian screaming at a car person at 15th & Dolores, where there is no traffic light, but pedestrains do have the right of way...but I think we have the highest number of pedestrians & car accidents/deaths in the State.

I bought a car when I lived on Twin Peaks Blvd, was making too much money--which I didn't know what all to do with at the time, and was dependent on the god-awful but beautiful route up the hill from Castro District of the run of the 37Corbett, which I caught 3 blocks downhill on Clayton Street...but I've moved downhill since then into the center of public transportation in the Church/Market/Dolores Street area...

I imagine the cool-busted-ass hotel in the TL was much fun as I have visited a few of them...The TL is a gasp but its nightlife is certainly lively with a cool theatre like the EXIT where I've seen several performances by local artists/actors...and there used be a wonderful dance club in the TL called "Polyesters" on Eddy Street that played 70s & 80s disco and a line was around the block to get in...That place was loads of FUN!!!

I spent time with a friend (Paul L.) in Dallas/Fort Worth many years ago and thought I wanted to live there for some bizarre reason...but the house was in a burb of Fort Worth called "EdgeCliff" and the only way to get around was via car...so I decided against moving to very hot and strange-for-me Texas...where "people" stared a lot when Paul & I were together...but I did meet some cool people on Cedar Springs (I think?) Road in Dallas' "gay district", particularly a big blonde lesbian in dressed in leather who thought I should give Dallas a chance...However, I found Dallas' car people even less friendlier than SF's new transplants of car people...

yeah, dallas is definitely a car town - ya made the right choice to stay put.

the hotel was at leavenworth & eddy - the hotel verona...not sure if it's still there. people grouse about the tenderloin, but really, SF has so few truly 'ghetto' areas compared with most other large cities - it's just a much more affluent city than almost any other, and there isn't much fallow urban space given over to decay. if you're used to city life, the tenderloin is no big deal - and it's definitely not a dead zone. if that area was my only option for living in SF, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

and if you're a part of GLBT culture, there are plenty of great places to live in just about every city (even my hometown of birmingham is pretty gay-friendly, down in the actual city), but SF is one of the few places that allows you to feel like the whole city belongs to you, instead of only feeling that you're in your element in smaller, limited gay-friendly enclave sections, as usually is the case in other towns.

Indeed...SF ghetto's or skid-rows can't compare to the atrocious ghettos of I've seen back East!!! in cities like New York and Philadelphia...

Yeah, I don't think I would have been very happy in Dallas/Fort Worth...I was there in August and every day was 100+ degrees!!!

SF is pretty gay friendly in every neighborhood...so gays aren't confined to just living in Castro or Polk Street areas...and can now live or hold hands in public squares in any neighborhood...so that's cool. The Castro's has 60% male population right now and 40% female with a population of 14,000; but its the new upcoming MISSION Bay area that has the highest % of males in the City right now at 73%; and 27% female. Mission Bay, where The Giants play in AT&T Park, has population of 2,400...and I believe the majority of males in Mission Bay are single and make over $100,000 a year...

I know we had that terrible incident earlier in the year when some gay Yale student singers were gaybashed up at somebody house that was connected to the San Francisco Police department officer...but I don't even know all the logistics of that incident.

That would be quite a long but adventuresome trip!!! but a good goal...I've only been on PCH from LA/Santa Monica to as far north as Jenner up in Sonoma County...From San Francisco just to Pt. Reyes took 2 hours since road hugs an up and down cliff above the ocean or these huge drops into nowhere and is very narrow and curvy...

...even San Francisco's Ocean Beach has its "beautiful" spots...I think Maine probably has the most dramatic/beautiful of coastline in the east...though, some of the sea islands of South Carolina and North Carolina's Outerbank are quite stunning as well...

...The City was strangely violent yesterday during lunch time! At 9th & Market in the Civic Center, there was a shooting in traffic between six guys in two separate cars...One guy apparently got out of his car at the traffic light and started firing into the other car... I imagine the incident is gang related. People ran and ducked for cover everywhere. The area was shut down for hours...Fortunately, no one was hurt or killed...

My brother lives near (but not quite in) the Tenderloin, and there's a bar on the bottom floor of his building. He sees a lot of barfights despite the "upwardly mobile" scene at the bar, and drug use in his alley. They also run a needle exchange once a week in that alley. Nothing BAD bad, but certainly not exactly what you want to be living near, either.

Anyway, Ocean Beach is neat, especially when you get near the Cliff House. Anybody been up to the ruins of Sutro Baths?

My brother lives near (but not quite in) the Tenderloin, and there's a bar on the bottom floor of his building. He sees a lot of barfights despite the "upwardly mobile" scene at the bar, and drug use in his alley. They also run a needle exchange once a week in that alley. Nothing BAD bad, but certainly not exactly what you want to be living near, either.

Anyway, Ocean Beach is neat, especially when you get near the Cliff House. Anybody been up to the ruins of Sutro Baths?

I will certainly check out your pics of the Japanese Tea Garden and De Young, both in Golden Gate Park!!! I love the Tea Gardens...It's a very relaxing place...the de Young has re-started its popular FRIDAY NIGHTS...AND for newcomers, don't forget that the lst Tuesdays of every month are free at de Young and SFMOMA...And I believe the Asian Art Museum as well called "Target Tuesdays" since Target sponsors a free day here. Our nearest TAR-GET is in Colma, just south of Daly City.

The new season of Friday Nights begins on March 30, 2007 at de Young Museum:

Friday Nights are back! The popular series returns, offering live music, poetry, films, dance, tours, lectures, cocktails, food, artist demonstrations, and interactive art projects. Enjoy a variety of musical performances ranging from punk, jazz, and opera to avant-garde hip-hop jazz; performance art; artwear demonstrations; art works made from recycled clothing; student designers; and more. The museum store and cafe stay open these evenings.

Through June 10, enjoy the exhibition Vivienne Westwood: 36 Years in Fashion, with docent tours at 7:30 p.m. and a special reduced admission of $10 (reg. $15). Members are admitted free. For more information see individual Friday Night calendar listings below, call 415.750.7634, or email [email protected].

Archived