Plainfield Ave. Meijer Construction Updates

tamias6

Well. Just one month to go until the new plainfield store opens up. I was wondering if anyone has been in or around the plainfield store lately? We haven't heard an update about it in a while now. In the exhisting store, is the retail section completly empty? Is the grocery section starting to empty out? Anything that's going on out there, plz let me know. I unfortunately do not get to go out there at all.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well. Just one month to go until the new plainfield store opens up. I was wondering if anyone has been in or around the plainfield store lately? We haven't heard an update about it in a while now. In the exhisting store, is the retail section completly empty? Is the grocery section starting to empty out? Anything that's going on out there, plz let me know. I unfortunately do not get to go out there at all.

For any bargain shoppers out there, all remaining general merchandise at the old Plainfield Meijer is now 25% off. This excludes grocery, pharmacy, HBA, diapers, and baby wipes.

The store is looking pretty empty these days. The southeast end of the store has been blocked off from shoppers and is being used to dismantle shelving units. There is also a large open area in the center of the clothing section, and open shelves in most of the remaining aisles. At this point, I'd say that the general merchandise area is at least 75% empty. However, the grocery section is nearly fully stocked.

Here's some photos of the Plainfeild Meijer as of today.

The new store gleaming in today's spectacular sunshine.

2333493491_e79f23236c_b.jpg

A detail shot of a mystery entrance.

2334323162_07d09bc992_b.jpg

The old store enjoying one of the last sunny days it will ever see before its pending closure and demolition.

2333497545_cde62777c9_b.jpg

Now as for the mystery entrance as shown in the first and second photographs, it is located on the south side of the grocery entrance. It is not a cart room entrance. The cart room entrance is on the north side of the grocery entrance. My guess is the mystery entrance is a dedicated entrance serving the bottle return room. Having a dedicated bottle return entrance would be a very nice convenience as people with carts loaded with cans a bottles would not have to conflict with traffic flow of normal shoppers entering and leaving the store.

I would like to know when and if they are going to have a sale of all the grocery/hbc items? As to what I was told, nothing from the old store is going to the new store and I would think that also includes groceries and the HBC stuff. Also, do you know if meijer will be posting a schedule soon on whether it will close for a bit or when the new one is to open?

I would like to know when and if they are going to have a sale of all the grocery/hbc items? As to what I was told, nothing from the old store is going to the new store and I would think that also includes groceries and the HBC stuff. Also, do you know if meijer will be posting a schedule soon on whether it will close for a bit or when the new one is to open?

All of the general merchandise areas to the SE and SW of the main aisles have been blocked off, with all remaining items being moved to the center of the store. Needless to say, there are many items that are not in stock. There are several products in HBA and grocery that have dwindling supplies or are missing as well, and many of the top shelves have been cleared.

All remaining general merchandise is now marked 25%-40% off. All HBA and groceries are now 10% off. I think they are no longer honoring any ad prices.

The new store is scheduled to open April 16.

• 2 weeks later...

In there today... The slow depressing music sounded really loud over the empty shelves and bare floors -- needless to say, a strange and somewhat sad shopping experience. Groceries were 30% off (and only about 30% left?). Hardware, including batteries was 60% off. Most other general merchandise was 50% off. Cosmetics, 50%. HBC, 30%. All sales final, of course. The checkouts were still in place, but most had their shelves cleared and looked like they wouldn't be reopened. Most of the old gen. merchandise areas were closed off, and it looked like they were tearing out the old shelving and stacking the parts. A few store furnishings and a giant dehumidifier were for sale.

There are some good deals to be had if they have what you want.

Some weird things: Half an aisle still full of Tide Detergent. Something like six full pallets of some kind of meijer brand chocolate chip cookie cereal. Many refrigerators with gallons of milk (are they still getting shipments?). Lots and lots of wallpaper (hmmm... a slow seller?). An aquarium shaped like a lava lamp. An electric ice cream maker with no box or price tag, but wrapped up pretty nice (haggle opportunity?). A pile of lonely green onions for sale in the empty produce department.

They were also giving the gas station canopy the new "blue stripe" design, and the other new signage is in place.

For the first time ever at this Meijer, I didn't have to wait in line for 10 minutes to check out. :)

Enjoy the sales!

In there today... The slow depressing music sounded really loud over the empty shelves and bare floors -- needless to say, a strange and somewhat sad shopping experience. Groceries were 30% off (and only about 30% left?). Hardware, including batteries was 60% off. Most other general merchandise was 50% off. Cosmetics, 50%. HBC, 30%. All sales final, of course. The checkouts were still in place, but most had their shelves cleared and looked like they wouldn't be reopened. Most of the old gen. merchandise areas were closed off, and it looked like they were tearing out the old shelving and stacking the parts. A few store furnishings and a giant dehumidifier were for sale.

There are some good deals to be had if they have what you want.

Some weird things: Half an aisle still full of Tide Detergent. Something like six full pallets of some kind of meijer brand chocolate chip cookie cereal. Many refrigerators with gallons of milk (are they still getting shipments?). Lots and lots of wallpaper (hmmm... a slow seller?). An aquarium shaped like a lava lamp. An electric ice cream maker with no box or price tag, but wrapped up pretty nice (haggle opportunity?). A pile of lonely green onions for sale in the empty produce department.

They were also giving the gas station canopy the new "blue stripe" design, and the other new signage is in place.

For the first time ever at this Meijer, I didn't have to wait in line for 10 minutes to check out. :)

Enjoy the sales!

Went there tonight. Only the middle section of the retail store (an area roughly the size of the women's clothing dept) remains. The jewelry counter is intact and seems to have a lot of product left. Interestingly, the process seems to have been: pick the perimeter clean, then move the shelving to block off the former aisles. What's left is carefully arranged and sorted, hung on display hooks, with many red shirts replacing and condensing. It's like a flea market, a very well-merched and clean one.

And there isn't much. Some HBA, leaning towards the exotic (hair mousses, nail polish, electric toothbrushes). Lots of wrist supports, knee braces, canes and walkers, wrist wraps. A small aisle of party goods. A rack of greeting cards. Some Easter. Some automotive, some hardware, sporting goods. (There's a reasonable selection of auto touch-up paint and hardware spray paint.) In the former bakery area are racks from the checkouts with all the impulse items: candy bars, nail clippers, lighters...racks and racks of them. An aisle of shrink-wrapped matted pictures, one of office supplies, and a few racks of clothing.

If you need small computer accessories or little camera bags, get over there. Flash drives, USB cables, cell phone cases, stereo and VCR cables.

Grocery is pretty well depleted. There were gallons of milk, assorted containers of Edy's ice cream, and many boxes of peanut butter Meijer cereal. Lots of baby formula and baby food. Seems to be quite a bit of boxed candy left (presumably the Easter shoppers went elsewhere) along with most of the Southern ethnic product from the international aisle. Several shelves of pasta.

The space smells musty. A red shirt told me that, as the shelving units get moved, lindering dust is kicked up. hea said they are sweeping and mopping daily, but no more floor waxing.

Checkout is speedy, however. Mr U-Scan was very happy to see a willing vict--I mean, customer. And parking is very accessible because there's almost nothing left to buy.

Vulture hours: 7 am - 11 pm for a few more days. Grand opening across the lot is 7 am on the 16th.

My review of the new Plainfield Meijer store.

Today the new Plainfield Meijer made due on its grand opening replacing the very outdated old facility next door. So I decided to have a look inside and see what the new store had to offer. In contrast to the worn out and dinginess of the old store, the new store is sparkling clean, brightly lit and very colorful. Like most of the Meijer's new stores the new Plainfield store follows the David Rockwell prototype with its cheery colors, bold graphics program, and ease of navigation. With groceries on the right hand and retail to the left, the basic layout is very much like the Alpine Ave. Meijer. The outside also takes on the standard yet recognizable Meijer look with its very large bold store sign flanked by distinctive glass enclosed entrances sheltered by eye brow roofs that jut 10 feet above the building's main roof line. However there are some differences to this store as compared to other new and recently built or remodel Meijer stores.

First outside next to grocery entrance is a dedicated entry to the Bottle Return room. This is a handy feature as it will help ease traffic flow at the entrance especially in the vestibule. In contrast there is no access to bottle return from the grocery entrance vestibule. Instead one has to access the bottle return room from inside the store or the dedicated Bottle return entrance outside. In place of were the bottle return entry would be in the vestibule is a Unisex restroom and an employee service door allowing access to the rear of the bottle return machinery.

Inside the sales floor more differences become apparent. One of the most obvious is the floor. The entire grocery section features exposed concrete floors polished to a smooth sheen. The rest of the sales floor features blue and white tile in the raceways, wood floors and blue carpeting in the central area and yellow tiles in the pharmacy area. Also the in store tenant alcoves are shallower than those of the older 207,000 sq. ft variation of the David Rockwell prototype. Furthermore the cafe area which is normally completely open to the sales floor is enclosed by 4 foot high knee wall.

The new store's E4 differs from those of other stores as well . Electronics are towards the front of the dept while music and media are arranged along the back wall and corner. A wall of video game display cabinets divides E4 from the adjacent sporting goods. But out of all the variations made to the new Plainfield Ave. store's E4 is the service desk. Taking a cue from Meijer @ Cascade, the service counter forms a predominate island located front and center of E4 and is clearly visible from the retail and rear raceways.

Making one's way towards the toys, stationary, and seasonal, the new Plainfeild Ave. store looks very much like the layout of the Standale store only mirrored. But variations can be found here. Bicycles, normally located along the wall at the rear of the toy dept at other stores, are along the back wall of the bump out accommodating parts of the seasonal dept and the indoor portion of the garden center. Also some the toy dept. spills into the bump out as well. This reconfiguration allows room for an expanded School and Office Supply dept.

Moving to the Pharmacy/ H&B area., one will notice that this area is a bit smaller than at other Meijer stores. But the pharmacy counter is much larger and is vastly different from that of other stores. The service counter takes on an "L" shape along the front corner of the store and is reminiscent of Meijer @ Cascade's pharmacy service counter.

Last but not least are the checkout lanes and front promenade. The new store is equipped with 28 check out lanes including a compliment of nine U-scan lanes and 3 self service lanes for full sized orders. Meanwhile the front of the store contains a compliment of in store tenants typical of Meijer, these include a Flagstar bank, a nails salon, a photo studio, bottle return, and a customer service desk. Restrooms include a Unisex faculty in the grocery entrance vestibule and a pair of segregated restroom in the retail entry vestibule. Also the are two more segregated restrooms located at the back of the sales floor by sporting goods.

A couple of things to take note of is due to the presence of the old store, the new stores the Retail Entry is still closed and boarded up while the outdoor garden center is still incomplete though work is well under way on it.

Virtues of new store are like those of any new and recently remodeled Meijer location. Those being great lighting, cheerful and upbeat graphics program, great product selection, and a simple yet logical layout that make finding products a snap. But even though the new store feel allot more spacious than its extremely claustrophobic predecessor the new store is only 192,000 sq. ft. where as most other Meijer stores in the area are a more spacious 207,000 sq. ft. or greater. The new store is even smaller than the old one by whopping 14,000 sq. ft. As a result space is a bit tight in the produce area while aisles in much of the retail section and H&B are a tad on the narrow side barely able to fit two shopping carts side by side.

Overall the new Plainfield Meijer store is a much overdue replacement of the old store that reliefs shoppers of most of the old store's drawbacks while making available the latest and greatest Meijer has to offer. Even though space is somewhat tight compared to other Meijer stores in the area, the new store will surely be major step up and a huge hit for local area shoppers.

Pictures:

2419413334_7bee889c36_o.jpg

2419413222_2810c5a3f8_o.jpg

2419413110_b0f14b74bf_o.jpg

2418597289_ac99e830d2_o.jpg

2418597185_74d469ab31_o.jpg

2418597047_81512c7578_o.jpg

2418596991_25bcc0d0ce_o.jpg

2418596905_77fed962b0_o.jpg

Archived