Future Skyline Rendering

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think Duke 2 will block legacy Union from this angle thankfully.

If this is built out and add in in-fill around the gateway station; what more can people say?  Such an impressive sight to see.  My fingers, arms and legs are crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, DavieNative said:

Haven't been over here in a bit... Looks like RDF is about to drop some fire in as always! It will be awesome to have the Levine side of town finally get some more stuff moving.

haha. The levine land isn't included in this rendering. I don't think he will build a single thing

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 2:58 PM, Sigma said:

We're starting to look more like Atlanta.

How? Atlanta's Skyline is so spread out, and Charlotte's is so dense.  Maybe similar in Height. And I'm not trying to compare to Atl. I actually love Atlanta's skyline because it is so different and spread out for miles and miles and miles. I would say Charlotte is more like a Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, or Philly(on a smaller scale of course) type of skyline, Where as Austin is actually more similar to Atlanta. 

3 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

How? Atlanta's Skyline is so spread out, and Charlotte's is so dense.  Maybe similar in Height. And I'm not trying to compare to Atl. I actually love Atlanta's skyline because it is so different and spread out for miles and miles and miles. I would say Charlotte is more like a Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, or Philly(on a smaller scale of course) type of skyline, Where as Austin is actually more similar to Atlanta. 

If all of the projects in the rendering make it then the skyline will definitely share more similarities with Atlanta than... Indianapolis. 

48 minutes ago, southslider said:

The greatest similarity between  skylines for Charlotte and Atlanta is their linearity along a north-south axis, though a much longer axis in Atlanta.

I don’t know. Charlotte is thickening our East/West also. Especially if you’re talking about all of ATL’s skylines in general, I just can’t picture Charlotte ever having such a long linear skyline. There’d Have to be major infrastructure changes I don’t really see happening. 

I see the towers staying in uotown and directly accessible to the 277 loop. 

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don’t know. Charlotte is thickening our East/West also. Especially if you’re talking about all of ATL’s skylines in general, I just can’t picture Charlotte ever having such a long linear skyline. There’d Have to be major infrastructure changes I don’t really see happening. 

I see the towers staying in uotown and directly accessible to the 277 loop. 

Yeah Charlotte's has a thicker feel to it. There are times in Charlotte when it feels like you are in a really urban canyon, where I never really feel that way in Atlanta- even in Downtown Atlanta. Everything just seems so spaced out and linear. I dig both Skylines. You catch Atlanta's skyline from the right angle and it looks massive and super impressive. Charlotte's skyline can either be extremely Symmetric and tall looking, and then it can look very dense and Clusterish. They both have a good variety of buildings. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:23 AM, TheOneRJ said:

If all of the projects in the rendering make it then the skyline will definitely share more similarities with Atlanta than... Indianapolis. 

I agree that our development is denser than Atlanta's, however, based on the rendering that RDF provided, we have a very strong linear / axis of development as someone else above stated.

That said, we certainly feel denser than say Atlanta or Austin, with much more "urban canyon" corridors.  Atlanta's skyline reminds me of market lights, just one long string.  If we start to see 10+ story towers popping up in Southend, we will start to get some of this effect, IMO.  The development of Stonewall St. helps shift us away from the N. Tryon corridor / string of development more similar to Atlanta.

I just wish 85 or 77 drove through or near Uptown more.  One of my favorite things when travelling is driving past a city's downtown up-close and feeling engulfed by the skyline.  The closest feeling I get is 74 coming into the city.  Buildings look imposing and super dense and you can see all the mid-rises that you usually don't see from afar. 

7 hours ago, Sigma said:

I agree that our development is denser than Atlanta's, however, based on the rendering that RDF provided, we have a very strong linear / axis of development as someone else above stated.

That said, we certainly feel denser than say Atlanta or Austin, with much more "urban canyon" corridors.  Atlanta's skyline reminds me of market lights, just one long string.  If we start to see 10+ story towers popping up in Southend, we will start to get some of this effect, IMO.  The development of Stonewall St. helps shift us away from the N. Tryon corridor / string of development more similar to Atlanta.

I feel like that angle seems linear only because the tallest buildings on Tryon are blocking the others. 

There are highways in DC that never make me feel disconnected nor do I feel say midtown/Elizabeth is disconnected from uptown. If anything the railroad in uptown is much worse than 277. 

But honestly 277 might be the reason uptown continues to densify further.  ATL’s skyline, and those of other sprawling skylines, I think, snake along an interstate. The city grew in a defining manner when sprawling development was all the rage.

I77 is not going to do that. High rises aren’t going to go along I77, it’s going to go along I277. In my opinion. 277 is better to funnel traffic into SouthEnd versus 77, IMO. 

South Parks infrastructure also caps it from developing too large and too dense. There would have to be so much money and effort poured into infrastructure to turn CLT into a sprawling high density area (as in high rise density. Of course we are already sprawly otherwise). 

277 is already set up to pump people into the areas it touches. 

GP_Midtown_Atlanta_Aerial_2016_16.jpg

midtown-and-atlantic-station_2A600xx1160

georgia-atlanta-skyline-aerial-view-pict

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I feel like that angle seems linear only because the tallest buildings on Tryon are blocking the others. 

There are highways in DC that never make me feel disconnected nor do I feel say midtown/Elizabeth is disconnected from uptown. If anything the railroad in uptown is much worse than 277. 

But honestly 277 might be the reason uptown continues to densify further.  ATL’s skyline, and those of other sprawling skylines, I think, snake along an interstate. The city grew in a defining manner when sprawling development was all the rage.

I77 is not going to do that. High rises aren’t going to go along I77, it’s going to go along I277. In my opinion. 277 is better to funnel traffic into SouthEnd versus 77, IMO. 

South Parks infrastructure also caps it from developing too large and too dense. There would have to be so much money and effort poured into infrastructure to turn CLT into a sprawling high density area (as in high rise density. Of course we are already sprawly otherwise). 

277 is already set up to pump people into the areas it touches. 

GP_Midtown_Atlanta_Aerial_2016_16.jpg

midtown-and-atlantic-station_2A600xx1160

georgia-atlanta-skyline-aerial-view-pict

The skyline has grown directly adjacent to Peachtree, more so than the highway. Peachtree's closest comparison in Charlotte? Well that'd be Tryon. I fully expect the skyline to continue stretching down S. Tryon. Railyard, DFA, Spectrum and Common Square all have one thing in Common, South Tryon. I think theres a chance it could stretch east/west along Trade/Eliz, but theres a lot of big time institutional landholders that might keep this from happening.

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The skyline has grown directly adjacent to Peachtree, more so than the highway. Peachtree's closest comparison in Charlotte? Well that'd be Tryon. I fully expect the skyline to continue stretching down S. Tryon. Railyard, DFA, Spectrum and Common Square all have one thing in Common, South Tryon. I think theres a chance it could stretch east/west along Trade/Eliz, but theres a lot of big time institutional landholders that might keep this from happening.

I’m looking at the map, and it looks like the most dense development has grown along I85. 

If I85 was a loop and didn’t continue to go parallel to Midtown, I don’t think midtown would be as big as it is today. If it was a loop, I think midtown type density/development would’ve looped around downtown.  Like how I think uptown will develop. 

Aerial_of_Downtown_Atlanta,_GA.jpg

Atlanta May have developed along peachtree, but I think that linear development is more attributed to 85. It gives the infrastructure to dump people into midtown. 

And i I think SouthEnd is growing and will be a continuation of uptown because of 277. Without 277, I think there would be a lot more development closer to I77. I277 gives SouthEnd the infrastructure to grow the way it is. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

I still think we see very little development of 20+ story buildings (or even close to it) outside of Uptown, so the skyline will never be as linear as Atlanta's.  Not really anywhere with the infrastructure to handle it.  

Uptown will be compact and hopefully will make good use of its remaining land.  

I mean sure, I don't see towers going out to Scaleybark, but there are plans for high rise residential, office & hotel in southend around 15-20 floors. Portman is trying to push the limits and build 250 feet on Hawkins. 

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean sure, I don't see towers going out to Scaleybark, but there are plans for high rise residential, office & hotel in southend around 15-20 floors. Portman is trying to push the limits and build 250 feet on Hawkins. 

Yep.  Interested to see how a lot of these plans go.

Atlanta is unique in that they really have three different districts with skyscrapers and have for a long, long time now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Yep.  Interested to see how a lot of these plans go.

Atlanta is unique in that they really have three different districts with skyscrapers and have for a long, long time now.

I do tend to agree with you though that our skyline will remain centralized, but I think there will eventually be significant growth around Midtown, Elizabeth and South End. 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I do tend to agree with you though that our skyline will remain centralized, but I think there will eventually be significant growth around Midtown, Elizabeth and South End.

Aren't we still expecting a 300' NAI tower at 3rd and Baldwin over in Midtown? It's rezoning was approved back in summer.

12 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Aren't we still expecting a 300' NAI tower at 3rd and Baldwin over in Midtown? It's rezoning was approved back in summer.

yea for sure. But its really just proposed at this time. Keep in mind over the years no less than 5 different high rises have been proposed in Elizabeth. To me though, the grid system of Elizabeth will inspire high rise construction one day.

Edited by Guest