Charlotte Forum Meet

Southend

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Any reports from the meet?

where were all of you guys? thanks to drummy and nostyle for showing up- we had an adventurous time to say the least- from public urination to almost being hit by a train, to illegal trespassing, roof climbing and racial profiling ..... pics coming soon.

we had an adventurous time to say the least- from public urination to almost being hit by a train, to illegal trespassing, roof climbing and racial profiling .....

LOL, in retrospect, I guess we DID do all that, huh...

Okay, my pics...

Before it even got going, I couldn't help but capture this moment...

manandchurch.jpg

We started off in the Business District, but decided to wander over to First Ward:

firstward2.jpg

It's amazing that as much as has already been done, this area continues to grow:

firstward.jpg

firstwarduc.jpg

We headed west to Fourth Ward, Uptown's biggest collection of grandios historic homes and modern condos:

fourthward.jpg

fourthward2.jpg

Still a good deal of construction here too:

fourthward3.jpg

Lots and lots of condos:

fourthward4.jpg

Under construction, CityView Towers:

cityview.jpg

Kitty corner to CityView Towers is the Charlotte Cotton Mills:

cottonmills.jpg

Again, an abundance of condos in Fourth Ward:

cottonmills2.jpg

The restored sections of the Cotton Mills. Fifth and Poplar can also be seen in the distance:

cottonmills3.jpg

Oh, now here we go...a part of Charlotte I bet most of you have never seen...SILOS!

silos.jpg

That's right, folks, fully operational silos. Right next door, more condos (are you shocked), aptly named 'the Silos':

silos2.jpg

A nice, long train happened to come by, affording me the time to take this rare Charlotte skyline:

train.jpg

Okay, enough grit...we all know Charlotte is nothing but cookie-cutter sprawl, so back to the tour...;)

A Fourth Ward grocery store (I thought only real cities had these?!):

grocerystore.jpg

Okay, we're now getting near Gateway Village. And I bet that a bunch of you don't know a darn thing about Gateway Village. To get a nice 'canyon' view of Trade Street near Gateway, we all jumped up on an overpass to get these shots (by the way, that's Johnson & Wales under construction on the left):

gateway.jpg

gateway2.jpg

gateway3.jpg

Here's the prominade at Gateway Village:

promenade.jpg

We went to the top of Gateway's parking deck, where we found an amazing view of everything. Here's one pic, showing off Fourth Ward's condo-filled density:

density.jpg

(those surface lots in the foreground are slated to become the multi-modal transportation station eventually)

Back down on Trade Street, here's a shot of Johnson & Wales, looking back at Bank of America Tower:

jw.jpg

Another shot, this one from Doubletree Hotel looking towards Gateway:

fromdoubletree.jpg

And lastly, as we headed back into the business district, one shot of some lesser-seen towers, from a lesser-seen angle:

towers.jpg

SouthEnd then gave us an awesome driving tour of South, East, and North Charlotte. Thanks again to him for that. I saw lots of things that I'd never seen before. It was a great time.

Archived