Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a quick review of ALDI. While it was super clean (I went the first night it was open), I wasn't overly impressed. You need a quarter to use the carts, meaning you have to remember to have a quarter. Sure, you get it back when you return it, but it's kind of a pain. Everything is store brand stuff (though it all has different cutesy brand names). They have one aisle with name brand stuff. The produce is pretty much non-existent as none of it is fresh. There's also no deli, butcher, fish or any of that. It's all pre-packaged like the produce. Prices are decent, but nothing better than Price Rite.

It was a nice store, but I don't see myself shopping there very often with Price Rite just as far with same (if not better) prices, a good deli, good meats, and good produce.

I'm assuming the reason behind this is to ensure that shoppers will not take off with the carts so they won't have to drag their bags of groceries home. But I don't a think a refundable $ .25 fee is much of a deterrence. If I had to drag 3 - 6 bags several blocks I would gladly let them keep my quarter.

Archived