Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

they stopped delivering back in October or November, saying that their driver was hurt. Then we didn't hear anything until about a month ago when they said they were getting ready to start service up again and could we put out our bottles. And still nothing.

Seltzer in a plastic bottle just doesn't compare.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The shaws at the bottom of Atwells at Eagle square is down right scary especially at night. My girlfriend won't even go there alone because all the patrons do there is follow her around the entire store. Security is pretty much non existent too.

I bought a soda bottle from target.com and order CO2 chargers in bulk through a place called CreamRight in FL. It's about $.35 per liter of seltzer, not counting the bottle (~$40, IIRC), and I have all the fresh seltzer I want.

The shaws at the bottom of Atwells at Eagle square is down right scary especially at night. My girlfriend won't even go there alone because all the patrons do there is follow her around the entire store. Security is pretty much non existent too.

Seriously. . . What? Your girlfriend must be a hell of a lot more attractive than me, because I've never once had anyone follow me or even give me the time of day in there. All they do is follow her around? Like, everyone in the store is just hanging out and waiting for some single girl to trail?

I have also thought the security was at times a bit overkill, with that car constantly patrolling the lot. Weird, if you ask me.

My complaint is with the cleanliness and appearance of the store. I can't be bothered to worry about the other shoppers.

Well, I've held off on this as long as I can, but I must voice my opinion. The Shaw's on Valley St is like no other that I've been in. First of all, I noticed that most af the aisles were filled with Spanish food item. But I also noticed that the meat selection was very much different from other Shaw stores in the quality of steaks, pork, chicken and other meats. It was of lower price and quality, as if to say that the people in that area could not, and would not purchase, or afford the food that other patrons would have in other stores. I think that all posters here are aware of the fact that not all supermarket flyers are for all of their chain stores. For instance, I live in East Providence and we have two Shaw's, one in EP, in the center of the city, and one on the EP/Barrington line. The prices in the Barrington store are usually higher than the EP store. It's the same with Stop & Shop. The Branch Ave store is usually lower than the Seekonk store. That's why all flyers have they're sales available only at the listed stores on the flyers.

I shop at Eagle Square all the time. I think the floors are fine but the store is underdesigned. Look at Whole Foods the next time you're there; I seem to recall that they have concrete floors too but much better lighting and merchandising.

There are several things I like buying at the Eagle Square Shaw's:

- Kate's Homemade Butter - quite possibly the best butter on the planet and Eastside Market doesn't carry it.

- Perfectly ripe mangos all summer

- Lots of fresh cilantro and mint

- Really cheap shallots - less than half the price than at Whole Foods!

- Queso de Frier. Yum!

- Variety meats for homemade sausage (special occasions only)

- Jumbo packs of boneless chicken thighs

However, things I don't even try to buy there are good cheese and seafood. Or goose. Or duck. Never seen it there for that matter.

I unfortunately find myself reflexively buying brand names or more expensive things than I would at any other store, on the slim hope that it will help skew the store purchase decisions toward the higher quality stuff. Foolish and futile, I'm sure.

I shop at Eagle Square all the time. I think the floors are fine but the store is underdesigned. Look at Whole Foods the next time you're there; I seem to recall that they have concrete floors too but much better lighting and merchandising.

. . .

However, things I don't even try to buy there are good cheese and seafood.

ok, so i actually do now have a real issue with the eagle square shaws... they once again did not have 1% rhody fresh milk. :angry: they have 2% and whole, but not 1%. what the hell is up with that?

and matt... you had to go and spoil my fun. now people are gonna be looking out for me. thanks a lot. :silly:

Archived