Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

I went by there after work tonight. Sorry to say: the selection is good for RI, but pales in comparison to even the Whole Foods stores in NoVa... .

OK, now we need to get back on topic. Jim, I'll have to talk to you in person about this next week.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was giving you the example of the best beer store in the state. there's others that have great selections as well.

i don't remember beer or wine in the grocery stores in PA, i don't think they have them there.

Pennsylvania is the strangest state I have ever encountered as far as its alcohol laws. You buy beer at a state-run beer store. And you can only buy cases or kegs. If you want a 6-pack, you have to buy it at a *bar* at a premium (unless you live in a big college town like State College, where there are a few 6-pack shops). Wine and liquor are sold only at state-run liquor stores.

K.

Dont know what to tell you. I dont know enough about it. I just know they sell it and have a great selection. Stuff I cannot find anywhere else, and still cant unless I go up there. Which I never do anymore...

Also, it is in Wayland MA, not Sudbury. My mistake.

Some grocery stores in MA sell beer and others dont - Im not sure what the distinction is. When I was a kid Almacs in Blackstone always had a big beer/wine selection. Its sort of like the weird Drugstore booze thing in RI. Beaupre's in Woonsocket had a full liquor selection - hard stuff, beer, wine, etc...

Yeah, the Whole Foods in Reston, VA has probably twice as many beers and more than twice as much shelf space (it's also a larger store that the University WF).

Nikki's is OK. I didn't see the huge variety in breweries I was hoping for but they did have a lot of varieties from individual breweries. To me, "350 different beers" is not as impressive as having a large number of different breweries. Anheiser-Busch probably makes 350 different beers - don't mean they're good ones. :shades:

ah, the thing i like about nikki's is that they don't take up the singles space for AB/Miller/Coors beers. they reserve it for the microbreweries and imports. a part of the issue isn't just the store, but also the distributors and breweries (some breweries are strict about where they'll distribute). wachusett for instance won't distribute out of MA, which is dumb because they distribute to yankee spirits, which is probably farther from their brewery than nikki's. some distributors won't carry certain beers because they won't get a lot of orders for them. nikki's is the only place in RI that sells boulder beer for instance (i learned that at a friday night tasting).

i doubt we'll see a better selection if grocery stores could sell beer based on distribution and breweries. i think nikki's carries everything they basically can.

Back to food, although I do love beer. :alc:

I second the vote for Wegman's as the best all around. We have one here in cherry hill, NJ and I grew up with one in wilkes-barre, PA. Other than it we have Acme, Pathmark, Giant, Superfresh, Whole Foods, and some other smaller chains like Cousin's.

The produce at Wegmans and Whole Foods tends to be on par for quality but the others are definately hit or miss. Some superfresh stores are good others are lousy. It also depends on the time of day. Sometimes if you shop late at night the best is picked over and there are no stock people to refresh the supply.

Are there any 24hr supermarket's in downtown PVD? I've got the same question for pharmacies? :unsure:

The other great thing about wegman's is that they tend to be both 24hrs and have an inhouse pharmacy. Truly a one stop store.

BTW: My wife has celiac disease and it's great to hear there are some places in providence to get the essentials. Any other tips for celiac suffering providencians (is this the right term) would be greatly appreciated. ;)

PS: Has anyone used UrbanGreens?

i'm actually not sure about the one on branch, but the stop and shop on mineral spring (near 146) is 24 hours, although i think it closes sometime on saturday night (midnight maybe?) and opens at like 6 on sunday and closes at 10 on sunday night, but opens again at 6 on monday and is open straight through saturday night again. i could be wrong on the hours though, it's been a long time since i worked nights and found it easier to shop after midnight than mid-day when i had to dodge old ladies or get stuck behind them as they counted pennies to pay.

the shaws in eagle square is plain old nasty. i just love popping in there and everytime i do they're playing gangsta rap on the speakers and the ebt lines are out of this world. i love watching them use their ebt card and then watch them getting into their brand new merecedes or lexus. what has this world come to? i'm all for the right use of ebt, but this is ridiculous.

the shaws in eagle square is plain old nasty. i just love popping in there and everytime i do they're playing gangsta rap on the speakers and the ebt lines are out of this world. i love watching them use their ebt card and then watch them getting into their brand new merecedes or lexus. what has this world come to? i'm all for the right use of ebt, but this is ridiculous.

BTW: My wife has celiac disease and it's great to hear there are some places in providence to get the essentials. Any other tips for celiac suffering providencians (is this the right term) would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Their breads are a very good mock and their cakes and cookies are sometimes better than the wheat versions. I'd rather avoid having to ship products though, if something is available locally. Local is always better.

sorry, i was only commenting on what i believe affects the quality of this particular store. walking in and hearing gangsta rap isn't exactly pleasant.. when the employees are rude and no one is there to help, this affects the store. you're right the way people use ebt has nothing to do with the store.

Archived