Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

i have not had a good experience as Eagle Square shaws, and the few times i've gone i'd gotten the feeling that the store is saying "you people aren't worth a decent grocery store." While you're experience may be different, mine is that it is a dirty, lowest common demoninator store that looks like wolves have fun through it on a regular basis.

we questioned the developer when he said he was building an upscale store to get all the business of folks coming in and out of PVD on the 6/10 and we questioned him when he said that the po' folks in the neighborhood needed a store that catered to them, that they could walk to, and frankly think we got the worst of both. It doesn't appear to carry much upscale anything, and its almost impossible to walk to. Only the Shaws on North Main is more unsavory, in my opinion and that's really unfortunate because this Eagle Square shaws could have been a really interesting store that served both the community and the commuters.

on the other hand, i really like the staples down there. It is a little stripped down compared to the one at University Heights, but the staff is great, the store is clean and they managd to put it in one of the older buildings without too much fuss. Of course its not any easier to walk to it, but...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have not had a good experience as Eagle Square shaws,

(snip)

we questioned the developer when he said he was building an upscale store to get all the business of folks coming in and out of PVD on the 6/10 and we questioned him when he said that the po' folks in the neighborhood needed a store that catered to them, that they could walk to, and frankly think we got the worst of both.

Maybe I have a high tolerance or something, but I'm really not seeing what is so terrible about the Eagle Square Shaw's. I mean people are complaining about the floors, I never even noticed, I don't go there to marvel at the floor. It could be better sure, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it. More power to the people who can drive miles out of their way to avoid the place I guess.

sorry, i was only commenting on what i believe affects the quality of this particular store. walking in and hearing gangsta rap isn't exactly pleasant.. when the employees are rude and no one is there to help, this affects the store. you're right the way people use ebt has nothing to do with the store.

Maybe I have a high tolerance or something, but I'm really not seeing what is so terrible about the Eagle Square Shaw's. I mean people are complaining about the floors, I never even noticed, I don't go there to marvel at the floor. It could be better sure, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it. More power to the people who can drive miles out of their way to avoid the place I guess.

Just in case people don't like going to giant chain grocery stores and don't have a car and live in the West End (like me): there are places to get groceries other than Shaws. Some examples:

Meat: Joe's Meat Market on Westminster

Fruit and Veg: the sellers on the road outside Joe's Meat Market; Tropical Market on Westminster

Canned Food: Tropical Market, Gabi's on Carpenter

Fresh Fish: Mekong Seafood on Broad

Bread and Pasta: Constantino's on Atwells

Noodles, Tofu, Soymilk, things asian: New Asian Market on Broad

I manage to get all my basic foods from these places. Occasionally I step into Shaws to get cleaning supplies. If you're on a budget, and on a bike, you needn't starve...

I must be oblivious cause I never even notice the cleanliness of a grocery store. I'm too busy cursing stupid people in the self checkout line who can't operate it or the fact that there's 3 registers open with 50 people in line (the common occurrence at Shaw's on Warwick Ave in Cranston).

My favorite chain grocery store in RI is the Stop & Shop in Pawtucket on Cottage Street. It always had decent produce, lots of registers open, tons of cheap Goya food and most importantly, Stop & Shop donuts and rasberry/white chocolate chip gourmet cookies!

I must be oblivious cause I never even notice the cleanliness of a grocery store. I'm too busy cursing stupid people in the self checkout line who can't operate it or the fact that there's 3 registers open with 50 people in line (the common occurrence at Shaw's on Warwick Ave in Cranston).

Speaking of milk, does anyone order milk and/or other dairy products from a local establishment that delivers? I use to order from Munroe Diary of East Providence ( http://www.cowtruck.com/wcms/index.php ) up untill about 10 yrs ago, but it really got to be too expensive. They also sell meat products, as well as juice and bakery items. The other local co is Christiansen Diary Co of N. Providence.

Speaking of milk, does anyone order milk and/or other dairy products from a local establishment that delivers? I use to order from Munroe Diary of East Providence ( http://www.cowtruck.com/wcms/index.php ) up untill about 10 yrs ago, but it really got to be too expensive. They also sell meat products, as well as juice and bakery items. The other local co is Christiansen Diary Co of N. Providence.

Yeah, as I remember it, they'll continue to bring you your regular order from previous weeks unless you call up to cancell. In other words, if you usually order a gallon of milk a week, along with a 1/2 gallon of orange juice, a loaf of bread and an order of beef paties, then that's what they will bring to you each and every week. A real pain in the a$$.

Archived