Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have decided to (mostly) abstain from driving to the East Side for groceries, and to walk around the West End or, if necessary, drive to Eagle Square for everything. It's time to conserve fossil fuel, save my 20-yer old car, reduce traffic, and get out on foot more! Here's my plan:

Veggies:

Farmers' Market at Dexter Park! (And veggies through Urban Greens and the Little City Grower's Coop Winter CSA in the off-season)

The Asian market on Bucklin

Fruit & Veggie vendors on corner od Westminster & Dexter

Bread:

Palmieri's

Seven Stars (when it opens)

Every 2 weeks, Olga's, ordered thru Urban Greens

Kim at Hudson St. Market orders a challah from Rainbow for me every week!

Other:

Cafe Bustelo is a full dollar cheaper at the newly opened bodega on Messer St. than at Eastside Market. Also, Tortillas and beans are plentiful and cheap!

Occasional trips to Tony's Collonial and Venda for cheeses, etc.

Urban Greens offers an amazing array of stuff, if you have the patience to really pour over the catalogue. I just bought a POUND of Ducktrap smoked salmon for $4.99!

Now the only staple I'm really missing is FISH! Like I've said, Shaw's fish is crappy. Mekong is just a little too far off my regular route. Once that fish shop opens on Atwells (and if it's any good), I'll be all set!

Any other great shopping suggestions to add to my neighborhood list?

ok, i have my first 2 complaints about the eagle square shaws... they only had 3 cartons of the rhody fresh 1% milk yesterday and they were all dated May 4 (today). also, they didn't have the tom's of maine toothpaste that i like to use. i also think their milk prices are more than the north providence shaws.

Slightly off topic, I just tried the challah from Rainbow and wasn't all that impressed... My favorite in the area remains the Wayland Bakery one (although they always seem to be sold out by the time I get there...).

- Garris

I went to Whole Foods for the first time in my life on Friday (University Heights) and honestly, besides the excellent customer service, I don't see what all the hoopla is about. I'd rather buy local foods than organic ones shipped from California, which seems to be a lot of what they carry. My one good find: Gem ravioli from Johnston, mmmm.

I went to Whole Foods for the first time in my life on Friday (University Heights) and honestly, besides the excellent customer service, I don't see what all the hoopla is about. I'd rather buy local foods than organic ones shipped from California, which seems to be a lot of what they carry. My one good find: Gem ravioli from Johnston, mmmm.

So the Shaws on North Main...now I understand what a dirty supermarket is...and how does it stay in business?? It was totally dead when I was there. And who would build a market in an urban area down in a ditch way setback from a main street?

So the Shaws on North Main...now I understand what a dirty supermarket is...and how does it stay in business?? It was totally dead when I was there. And who would build a market in an urban area down in a ditch way setback from a main street?

• 2 weeks later...

What is going on in the old Honorbilt clothing store on Washington Street? Is this where you are setting up your market? I noticed the sign outside. If it is, it's a great location but whatever business does go in there needs to shne because the rest of the retail on that block is nothing inviting.....

• 1 month later...

i agree with recchia... the one in eagle square does a pretty good business as far as i can tell. there's always a decent amount of people in there when i go. this really sucks though, i guess i'm either going to have to do my grocery shopping after work at the north prov shaws or check out price rite or brewery parkade. i really liked this shaws. it's better than any of the others i've been to. maybe one of the other supermarkets will see this as a prime opportunity.

i agree with recchia... the one in eagle square does a pretty good business as far as i can tell. there's always a decent amount of people in there when i go. this really sucks though, i guess i'm either going to have to do my grocery shopping after work at the north prov shaws or check out price rite or brewery parkade. i really liked this shaws. it's better than any of the others i've been to. maybe one of the other supermarkets will see this as a prime opportunity.

Archived