New nightlife spots in Charlotte

ScottCLT

It seems like they are trying to move the Coyote Ugly bar from College Street to a spot on the first floor in the Ivey building on Trade Street. The people who live in the building are against it. Stefan Latorre, who operates some of the other nightclubs in the area is applying for a liquor license.

http://www.wbtv.com/news/topstories/18161329.html

Yea, I wouldn't be happy about that either. I went there one time about a year ago and haven't been back to CU since...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried out Whisky River last night. Pretty cool spot. Not really my type of place, but it will do quite well and we'll go there some. There was a pretty decent crowd for 5:30 in the evening as well -- not huge, but probably 30 or so people at one of the bars. Cool thing too, open a tab at one of the 3 or 4 bars and leave your card, you can order at any bar and they just pull up your name.

It seems like they are trying to move the Coyote Ugly bar from College Street to a spot on the first floor in the Ivey building on Trade Street. The people who live in the building are against it. Stefan Latorre, who operates some of the other nightclubs in the area is applying for a liquor license.

http://www.wbtv.com/news/topstories/18161329.html

CCCP and FOFW have both expressed their objection to the placement of CU in this spot. I can see the point of wanting to have a more sustainable retail spot placed there, rather than just another bar (and one, from my perspective, that promotes heavy drinking). However, I really don't see a big difference between CU and Daddy's, other than the fact that Daddy's was more of a Sports Bar. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my free tickets in the mail over the weekend for the grand opening of SUITE at Epicentre next Friday night(May 23rd). I expect it to give HOM and Forum a run for its money on the weekends. The month of June should be a interesting one, to see how well Forum and HOM will survive aganist SUITE. Forum is now down to 1 Nightly Resident DJ (that being DJ Frenzy, but they do still have DJ Five from Vegas and DJ Roctakon from NYC as monthly residents)), since they got rid of Supa Skip(who is with a doubt, the best DJ in NC and the Southeast. Who will be one of the resident DJ's at Suite). Suite I believe is designed by the same people who designed Pure nightclub in Las Vegas. I'll let everybody know how it is.

For those whom will be going out for speed street this week, its great as usual. On a side note SUITE IS HOT! as long as they get some good signage, projected signage is kind of annoying. Epicenter is shaping up and if you haven't seen it yet, one must check out the stainless artwork that goes up the front escalator, it really makes me think they could actually do something with this project worthwhile.
I agree ... saw the escalator art on the walk in this morning, but didn't have a camera with me. Just got an email about the EpiCentre after 5 events starting next week (picture below) and saw a good deal of Howl at the Moon advertising out at Speed Street.

EpiCentreat5.jpg

I agree ... saw the escalator art on the walk in this morning, but didn't have a camera with me. Just got an email about the EpiCentre after 5 events starting next week (picture below) and saw a good deal of Howl at the Moon advertising out at Speed Street.

Read as "For those of you that hate Alive After 5..."

For those whom will be going out for speed street this week, its great as usual. On a side note SUITE IS HOT! as long as they get some good signage, projected signage is kind of annoying. Epicenter is shaping up and if you haven't seen it yet, one must check out the stainless artwork that goes up the front escalator, it really makes me think they could actually do something with this project worthwhile.

I agree -- great place, love everything with one exception and its a big one. Ashtrays EVERYWHERE. Why would any new place, modern place, have indoor smoking? Especially if you have a huge patio. I met about 10 friends out there and everyone complaiined about it. I think it is partly because we are no longer used to dealing with smoke. The bad part is everyone smoking congregated at the bar so you had to hang out in a haze to order a drink.

That aside, I think we'll go there frequently if they move the smoking outdoors.

EpiCentreat5.jpg

So this will be competing with "Live after 5?" I wish they would do it on another night besides Thursdays so there would be events downtown on more than one night during the week.

So this will be competing with "Live after 5?" I wish they would do it on another night besides Thursdays so there would be events downtown on more than one night during the week.
I agree, it seems silly for two after work events to be competing for patrons. Hopefully after one summer of overlapping times the schedules will be better aligned.

I just left Suite and had a great time. My wife and I were scared that it would be a 20 something crowd, but were happy to see other 30 and 40 year olds. Even though the club was smaller than we thought it would be, it still was alot of fun. The private suites are afforable. The suites seat 8 people and go for around $400. That includes 2 bottles of your favorite spirit, chaser and a waiter. It made us feel like we were in Las Vegas or South Beach. I cant wait to try out Howl at the Moon. There were a few tourist sitting near me talking about how cool Charlotte is with the light rail and club sceen. Imagine that. People are actualy saying that we have a club sceen. :rolleyes:

Got a chance to check out Suite last friday and the best part was I didnt have to wait in the long ass line.

Okay, I lied. That wasnt the best part, because everything was great. Yes the club(especially the dance floor is small) but the spacious outdoor patio certainly makes up for it. The most interesting thing about the club is there aren't ordinary doors on the patio but roll-uo Garage doors. Those you have to see to believe. Carolinanightlife.com has plenty of photos up from the pre grand opening Thursday, as well as Friday night and Saturday Night. This club will change the Charlotte nightlife scene, trust me. Anybody else check out SUITE this past weekend?

Deano

So if you look at the Webcam, they seem to painting/covering one of the 3rd floor spaces with orange similar to the AT&T Sign, anybody know anything about that. Hopefully someone will go to the Epicenter at 5 event today and can catch a glimpse for us. It looks to me to be a big orange circle, any ideas.

Edit:

So I think I might have figured out what it is.

hatm-logo.jpg

could it possibly be a vinyl promo banner, in the shape of their logo it appears to be the exact same orange. If this is the case, that will be pretty cool for a little while.

http://www.howlatthemoon.com

You've got to hand it to whoever is running the promotion behind Epicentre at 5. They have everyone convinced that the "live after 5" event is now only at Epicentre.

Alive After 5 (Wachovia Plaza) is still there and will continue to be. www.charlottealiveafterfive.com They have bands lined up for the rest of the summer.

EpiCentre at 5 (Pavilion at Epicentre) is brand new this week and aims to compete head on. They will definitely take tonight's crowd if any of the people I'm talking to are indicators. We'll see which one wins out. www.epicentreat5.com

Why couldn't they have scheduled this for Wed. or Fri.?? Now we have the same type of venue on the same day, whats the sense in that?

And does anyone know how late this will run, I didn't see anything on the site?

.... or Monday or Tues.....

seriously, what's the sense in having competition of a party event that caters to the same thing when there are 6/7 other days available to have the potential to gain even more people to the event...

Has anyone else heard of this new NC rule that establishments that only serve alcohol (bars/nightclubs) must require everyone to have a membership in order to get in? Is it even a new rule? I have never had this problem before. I hope this isn't true.

^I believe that has always been a law, its just more enforced now. Kinda how Alley Cat now requires a membership. They serve food, but it is only a small percentage of their revenue so ALE requires memberships. What difference it makes....I dont know, but it seems more like a nuissance then solving a problem.

^I believe that has always been a law, its just more enforced now. Kinda how Alley Cat now requires a membership. They serve food, but it is only a small percentage of their revenue so ALE requires memberships. What difference it makes....I dont know, but it seems more like a nuissance then solving a problem.

So what happens if you want to go to one of those places with someone who is from out-of-town? Will they not be able to get in? What exactly is the point of this rule/ordinance?

No, they could still get in, they would just have to become members on the spot. I really dont know what the point is either, all you do is give them your name, address, phone #, and email and you get a card saying your a member.

I wish NC would change this law, does anyone know what purpose it serves?

On a different note, the Pavilion at Epicentre is a great venue. I really dont see Alive after 5 competing with Epicentre after 5 unless there are really enough people to fill both parties. Having the rooftop patio with almost 360 degrees of towers surrounding it (just wait until 210 Trade and Bofa are finished..), plus having Suite and its patio connected made for one hell of a venue. Even got to speak with Gahzi as he was making the rounds through the crowd. For all its flaws Epicentre really is going to create an amazing vibe uptown that wasn't there before. I just cant wait for the bowling alley and movie theatre to open up.

So did anyone catch the news last night that the Graduate uptown will close and be replaced with a Hooters? This stinks, first the Graduate has a great sign that gives that part of Trade character, second it is a local establishment, and third Hooter's food sucks.

Archived