New nightlife spots in Charlotte

ScottCLT

I noticed the building beside Cans (on the Gateway Village side) had construction company signs in the windows and people were working on something there. I've always thought that this would be a good spot for a bar or restaurant, especially right beside Cans, and I don't think I could imagine anything but opening there. Anyone know what is going on there?

On another note, the sign for Feast is up in place of the Belle's BBQ sign that used to be there. I wonder how far down the line the restaurant will open up?

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be opening very soon.....by the way, if anyone hasn't been yet, HOM is an amazing hotspot.....downstairs is Liv @ HOM which is the lounge, very relaxed atmosphere with lounge beds and great acid jazz music, then upstairs is Play @ HOM which is the actual club....great VIP, the side "library room" is cool, the balcony is amazing, and the music is one of the best you'll hear in CLT! Nothing but non stop European House, with piercing beats that will make you feel like you're in London, Paris, Rome, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Athens, Belgrade, etc....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Went to HOM with some friends last night to check it out. It was pretty incredible, completely different from anything charlotte has ever dreamed of having. Its set up is incredible. We started with feast, which is quite imposing when you walk up to the door, the entry is all glass and the set up inside is all ultramod/european. It looks like it would be the most expensive place in charlotte, but honestly the prices are reasonable, though the portions are European servings. The waitstaff was relatively attentive, and I enjoyed myself, I just had dessert and a couple glasses of wine. The 'dining room' has le corbusieresque furnishings, white and black floral print wall paper for the top three feet of the wall, and red padded walls for the next seven that turn into benches for the walls seats. The lighting for the tables had what looked like a Urban Outfitters Chandelier with plastic crystals covered in black lampshades. The bar area is all a light wood, with a stainless steel bar with a pastry station, tracklighting, spaces age chandeliers from the convention center (at least thats what they looked like), and an abundance of chrome. The Tables around the bar are also 'Le Corbusieresque' and there is ample seating for dinner, and Feast is by far the best lit place there.

So we finished dinner and decided to check out Liv the basement floor, or the Ultra Lounge. Liv was the ying to feast's yang. Feast was bright and colorful, Liv was dark, but still extremely comfortable. There was abundant seating of all kinds, one room actually seems like it was all just padded, with an undulating seating structure at least 20+ feet long stretching on both sides of the room, and at least 30 throw pillows. The bar was nice, not much seating, but with a place completely full of seating I gues sit isn't really needed. Each table had a tray with an assortment of tea lights that served as one of the only substantial sources of light in the place. It was cool, and somewhat cave feeling, as there wasn't a single window in the basement until you looked out towards the three story patio. There is a mysterious glass wall that one must be warry of, however, the room is not quite as big as it seems. The beer selection downstairs was ok, but the liquor selection was fantastic.

So that leaves Play, the nightclub/danceclub/discoteque, this was no less spectacular than Liv and Feast. It was very nice, with great skylights and architectural features. The most spectacular thing about it was probably the modern art on the walls, and the 'hunting room' as we started to call it with plush rococo style couches, deer heads, and italian rennaisance styling. I looked out the window hoping for a shot of the eiffel tower, but alas it was just 5th street. I look forward to sitting in vip sometime, as it was the coolest architectural feature in the whole place as it cantelievered over the rest of play. Then you walk out onto the porch, which is situated between the 'points' of avenue and 201 N. Tryon, and in the fog its quite spectacular. There are three floors of patios, each with ample seating, and huge U shaped sectional couches with fire pits between them. It was a little wet from the fog and rain so we didn't stay long. I'll have to get some pictures for everybody, I am not too good at describing things sometimes.

I truely felt like I took a step into a european or a ultra trendy nightclub in nyc, I certainly didn't feel like I was in charlotte. Charlotte has hit the bigtime with HOM.

I went to HOM for the first time last night as well. The only way I can describe it is "Amazing". I think I may have embarrassed myself as my mouth was wide open from awe the entire time I was there. If you go with a group I suggest you have a "rally point" like families have at amusement parks. It is easy to get lost in the enormous space.

Does HOM have a website? I'd like to see some pics.

Actually they don't, when I was there the other night, I ran into my friend who is a floor manager at LIV, and he said that they actually hadn't had their grand opening yet, strangely enough. Its actually pretty low key right now. Even though they I understand it becomes the normal choked, crowded, and undesirable charlotte bar on saturday that keeps me in bars in MP, Dilworth, and the Park Rd area on saturdays.

I went to Tilt (if I'm thinking of the right place) this past summer... I think they have counter-height stools at a bar-height bar. They're too low - I felt like a midget sitting at the bar (and I'm 6'2"). Seemed like a cool place, tho.

• 1 month later...

Apparantly Daddy's (at the corner of 5th and Church) closed down....that spot is cursed.

One has to wonder if it is the spot or what people put in there. The location is GREAT, but every place that has opened that I've tried has always been either a goofy concept, had mediocre or bad food, or just didn't seem to have whatever it would take to work out.

I have heard that it failed because the rent was too high there and management wasn't able to convince enough people to come in and support the place given the prices they had to charge to make the numbers work. I guess pointless trends have their limits even in Charlotte.

I ate there once when it was Daddys and was not impressed. It seemed like they were trying to do a local version of Hooters with big busted waitresses walking around in tight shirts and skimpy skirts. This seemed to be out of place...especially on the cold winter day I went there. Not to mention the food wasn't all that good.

This location is off the beaten path...but with Avenue open now it has been bumped up a notch. If they could put a vertical sign on the 5th St side of the building to get the attention of pedestrians on Tryon St then I think that could help whatever ends up there next.

It's the perfect spot for a breakfast/all-day diner.....think classier version of IHOP, with maybe a retro 50's diner theme....but not in a goofy sort of way ;)

I'd agree that this would likely work quite well. Considering Showmars behind my building is packed all hours it is open all the time, these type of places ae high demand but there are too few in center city.

:yahoo: Went to Press in the bottom of Trademark last night. Awesome addition to downtown. Cool, laid back, great food, unique concept, outdoor seating, knowledgeable and friendly staff, good prices...

I'll be there a lot!

The tapas, apps, and sushi were not tiny portions -- our smoked salmon plate was 8 bucks and there was plenty for 3 people to have their fill. Seriously. We had some sushi as well -- delicious. Wine was decently priced and the selection was huge.

:yahoo: Went to Press in the bottom of Trademark last night. Awesome addition to downtown. Cool, laid back, great food, unique concept, outdoor seating, knowledgeable and friendly staff, good prices...

I'll be there a lot!

The tapas, apps, and sushi were not tiny portions -- our smoked salmon plate was 8 bucks and there was plenty for 3 people to have their fill. Seriously. We had some sushi as well -- delicious. Wine was decently priced and the selection was huge.

Is it a purely sit down and eat locale or can one venture there searching for a glass of vino rosso or a nice stiff drink?

I guess what I'm asking is, "Would u consider Press a restaurant with drinks, a restaurant with a bar, or a bar with a restaurant?"

Is it a purely sit down and eat locale or can one venture there searching for a glass of vino rosso or a nice stiff drink?

I guess what I'm asking is, "Would u consider Press a restaurant with drinks, a restaurant with a bar, or a bar with a restaurant?"

Hmmm...I would personally consider it a wine bar with heavier than typical tapas and apps. It is a restaurant, there is a kitchen and sushi counter, but it is more of a chill place for wine and conversation. They do have full wait staff, but you can also walk around and pick out wine. There is even a good selection of easy sushi, wine, and light food take-out. Think of Dean & Deluca but far more emphasis on wine and far less emphasis on take-out. Much cozier decor too.

By the way, no mixed drinks, just beer and wine.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Whisky River with a couple friends for a peek tonight. It opened officially on Saturday, but tonight was their second night and was billed as invite-only, though no invites were requested at the door. I was in line at 8:50, 10 minutes before opening, and thought it would be a bust considering that only 2 other people were in line. After opening, it picked up quickly, though. I stayed for only 45 minutes just to get a feel for the place.

The bar is cool. It's quite large, though still smaller than I had imagined. The ceilings are very tall, giving the place a very open feel like Cans. There are 3 main bars -- one large round one near the entrance, one in front of the VIP booths, and one around the mechanical bull. The place has an interestingly mixed feel -- it's like a posh nightclub with NASCAR reruns playing and cowhide on the booths and bar chairs. The round bar at the entrance is made of stainless steel with fiber-optic lights poking through changing colors -- very cool! The VIP booths behind the bar on the dancefloor are separated by curtains of chain mesh with lights projected through them that change constantly. It's seriously a little trippy when you stare at them from a close distance -- you'd have to see it to realize what I mean. The "chandeliers" above each booth are actually huge lava lamps. The mechanical bull is yet to be installed and is sitting on a couple of barstools currently.

The bartenders were at their best tonight -- one guy, Chris, at the bar near the dancefloor was doing all sorts of bar tricks (think a tamer version of Shadow Bar in Las Vegas if you've been there). He's actually quite the magician as well, and was entertaining us with levitating dollar bills as well as some odd tricks with some cigarettes that none of us have seemed to figure out yet. The others didn't seem to have a hesitation at handling the sudden crowd that piled in after 9:00 when it opened. On top of that, the bathroom attendant staff was definitely better than you see in most bars -- I actually gave them a dollar and felt good about it.

If this gives us a hint of the nightlife to come to the Epicentre, then this place is going to be HOT!

On top of that, the bathroom attendant staff was definitely better than you see in most bars -- I actually gave them a dollar and felt good about it.

Great to hear good reports about the bar -- can't wait to check it out.

As for bathroom attendants -- what is the point of them? Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than having someone hover over everyone while they are using the bathroom then expecting to be paid for it. I can turn on water and grab a towel myself thank you!

Was it more rock music or country music? I'm not a fan of country music, so I'm not sure if I would go there or not. Might check it out sometime if it becomes a popular place to go.

It was a combination, but it was definitely more rock than country. Even the country songs they played were more like songs that everyone knows -- "Friends in Low Places," "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," etc. There was certainly nothing that would make you expect to see line dancing. Think more along the lines of what you'd hear a band play at Buckhead Saloon.

I'm not a country fan either, but I enjoyed the music at Whisky River. The Avett Brothers (from right here in Charlotte, actually) are about as close to country as I come, and that's the only band that I listen to that is even close.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like they are trying to move the Coyote Ugly bar from College Street to a spot on the first floor in the Ivey building on Trade Street. The people who live in the building are against it. Stefan Latorre, who operates some of the other nightclubs in the area is applying for a liquor license.

http://www.wbtv.com/news/topstories/18161329.html

Archived