New nightlife spots in Charlotte

ScottCLT

That is just too bad, I love the graduate sign, I've always wished there was more like it in downtown. I was never actually the biggest fan of that particular graduate, their food was ok, and the drink prices too but the tvs sucked for "the big game" and the service was pretty lousy. However with that said, HOOTERS? Wtf?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they could still get in, they would just have to become members on the spot. I really dont know what the point is either, all you do is give them your name, address, phone #, and email and you get a card saying your a member.

I wish NC would change this law, does anyone know what purpose it serves?

I cannot explain the regulation (this is an ABC Commision regulation), but I can give a little bit more depth to it. The regulations on alcoholic beverages are designed to only allow certain types of businesses to sell alcohol. I assume at one point the state desired businesses to only sell alcohol on premises as a part of some other legitimate business (restaurant, golf course, grocery store

So what happens if you want to go to one of those places with someone who is from out-of-town? Will they not be able to get in? What exactly is the point of this rule/ordinance?

I went to Alley Cat a few months ago. The membership thing is something that has so many loop holes it just almost seems worthless to enforce. For example when I went:

Girl: "Are any of you members?"

Me: "No"

Girl: "Well I invite you to be MY company tonight"

-Walks us to a sign in booth-

Me: "Thank you, (and you are quite hot)"

Fin.

I went to Alley Cat a few months ago. The membership thing is something that has so many loop holes it just almost seems worthless to enforce. For example when I went:

Girl: "Are any of you members?"

Me: "No"

Girl: "Well I invite you to be MY company tonight"

-Walks us to a sign in booth-

Me: "Thank you, (and you are quite hot)"

Fin.

Yeah employees cannot have guests while working, nor can they make members accept people as their guests. It is amazing how people think they are attempting to outsmart the rule. The regulation seems to shutdown the majority of loopholes a person can come up with. If ALE wanted to enforce the membership rule they could fine the majority of "private clubs" in the state.

Did anyone go to Alive after 5 to see how epicentre affected the crowd?

Anyone know more details on this? from the paid to party girl in the O....really curious where they'd pop a lounge on Woodlawn. Not much at all on the website yet.

Also this month, be on the lookout for another Gur project: KISS Lounge, opening on Woodlawn Road in the next two weeks.

http://www.kisscharlotte.com/

Was trying to figure that out myself....someone has been doing quite a bit of work on the old chineese buffett on Montford down from Angry Ale's....perhaps she meant "off of woodlawn"? Only other place I could think of is right at Woodlawn and 77...which is a pretty sketchy area w/ a strip club, massage parlors, and the homeless folks that live by the nearby train tracks. Not exactly where I'd put a lounge.

• 2 weeks later...

Was trying to figure that out myself....someone has been doing quite a bit of work on the old chineese buffett on Montford down from Angry Ale's....perhaps she meant "off of woodlawn"? Only other place I could think of is right at Woodlawn and 77...which is a pretty sketchy area w/ a strip club, massage parlors, and the homeless folks that live by the nearby train tracks. Not exactly where I'd put a lounge.

Guy who owns angry ales owns bought that Chinese buffet...and just talked to a friend of mine that used to be a manager at angrys...he's looking to set up a dinner/dance club there, similar to the Sunset club. I you had told me that would happen and that angry ales would have a preppy crowd 5 years ago I'd have fallen on the floor laughing. Asked if was going to be called Kiss, and he was 99 percent sure it wasn't going to be. Still have no idea where they might be putting it.

I went to Howl at the Moon tonight, for their soft opening (actually, they may have been open last night...not sure). It was quite honestly the most fun I have had in months. For those that don't know, it's a new dueling piano bar at the EpiCentre. The piano players (and other instrument players) are very talented. When "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" broke out, an electric fiddle player jumped on top of the pianos to add to the song. The key with this place is just having a blast. 86-ounce buckets of liquor drinks, testtube shots, syringe jello shots, etc. It's definitely a place that encourages drinking. The bar staff was just awesome -- every time I turned around, my waitress was there. The bar staff also participates in the show about once per hour.

The bar has a convenient system of keeping tabs. They give your card back to you when you order, but you sign you tab (even if you keep it open), just in case you decide to jet without heading back to the bar. This assures that the bartenders, who did a great job tonight, get their tips. But it means that anytime you want to leave, you can just leave without going back to the bar to close the tab.

When we got to the point where we were about to leave, the songs just kept us there longer. We didn't drink anymore (I have to work in the morning, unlike some of my friends), but just song after song, they kept us there for at least another hour just to sing along and enjoy. They accept requests...in fact probably 90% of their sets are requests. Tip well, and your song will get sung.

All my friends are going back on Saturday, and even though I just left 30 minutes ago, I can't wait to go back. What a blast!

Tonight almost felt like I was on vacation in another city. I'm not used to having this much just plain fun while going out to a bar in Charlotte. I used to only go to dueling piano bars when I travelled out of town, but thankfully I have one here now. It's not a place you could go to every weekend, but every few months, a night at Howl will be a certainty for me, and a certain good time.

I went to Howl at the Moon tonight, for their soft opening (actually, they may have been open last night...not sure). It was quite honestly the most fun I have had in months. For those that don't know, it's a new dueling piano bar at the EpiCentre. The piano players (and other instrument players) are very talented. When "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" broke out, an electric fiddle player jumped on top of the pianos to add to the song. The key with this place is just having a blast. 86-ounce buckets of liquor drinks, testtube shots, syringe jello shots, etc. It's definitely a place that encourages drinking. The bar staff was just awesome -- every time I turned around, my waitress was there. The bar staff also participates in the show about once per hour.

The bar has a convenient system of keeping tabs. They give your card back to you when you order, but you sign you tab (even if you keep it open), just in case you decide to jet without heading back to the bar. This assures that the bartenders, who did a great job tonight, get their tips. But it means that anytime you want to leave, you can just leave without going back to the bar to close the tab.

When we got to the point where we were about to leave, the songs just kept us there longer. We didn't drink anymore (I have to work in the morning, unlike some of my friends), but just song after song, they kept us there for at least another hour just to sing along and enjoy. They accept requests...in fact probably 90% of their sets are requests. Tip well, and your song will get sung.

All my friends are going back on Saturday, and even though I just left 30 minutes ago, I can't wait to go back. What a blast!

Tonight almost felt like I was on vacation in another city. I'm not used to having this much just plain fun while going out to a bar in Charlotte. I used to only go to dueling piano bars when I travelled out of town, but thankfully I have one here now. It's not a place you could go to every weekend, but every few months, a night at Howl will be a certainty for me, and a certain good time.

I have to agree with this post 100%. First this place is going to be bad for my wallet and my liver, but WOW what a great place to go out. We went Friday night after dinner at 8:30 intending to get our memberships, have a drink or two, and head home. At 1:30 we finally left. I had no idea what I was in for other than the post above I had read before going. This place, and EpiCentre as a whole, will transform downtown nightlife. We met so many people (most of whom had come from all over Charlotte to go out that night) and ended up hanging out with a couple from out in Raintree all night. Everyone in the place was having a great time, singing at the top of their lungs (later in the night) and dancing all over the place. Ages ranged from 21 to probably 65, all types of folks. Like the post above, we never wanted to leave.

Couple things I noticed -- You WILL drain your wallet, from tips to get songs sung, to drinks and shots. Its just part of it - plan on it and just let go.

The staff seemed genuinely interested in everyone having a great time -- no attitude whatsoever.

Everyone in the crowd seemed to be having a great time with no attitude -- it wasn't a pick-up bar, mostly looked like couples or groups of friends.

This will be a 'must go' place when company is in town. We are already planning on taking my dad next time he is here as well as friends that visit that are our age. Anyone that likes music, singing, and drinking should have a blast at Howl.

I have to agree with this post 100%. First this place is going to be bad for my wallet and my liver, but WOW what a great place to go out. We went Friday night after dinner at 8:30 intending to get our memberships, have a drink or two, and head home. At 1:30 we finally left. I had no idea what I was in for other than the post above I had read before going. This place, and EpiCentre as a whole, will transform downtown nightlife. We met so many people (most of whom had come from all over Charlotte to go out that night) and ended up hanging out with a couple from out in Raintree all night. Everyone in the place was having a great time, singing at the top of their lungs (later in the night) and dancing all over the place. Ages ranged from 21 to probably 65, all types of folks. Like the post above, we never wanted to leave.

Couple things I noticed -- You WILL drain your wallet, from tips to get songs sung, to drinks and shots. Its just part of it - plan on it and just let go.

The staff seemed genuinely interested in everyone having a great time -- no attitude whatsoever.

Everyone in the crowd seemed to be having a great time with no attitude -- it wasn't a pick-up bar, mostly looked like couples or groups of friends.

This will be a 'must go' place when company is in town. We are already planning on taking my dad next time he is here as well as friends that visit that are our age. Anyone that likes music, singing, and drinking should have a blast at Howl.

Having gone often to the one in the Warehouse District in Cleveland, OH, I knew what to expect, so I had signed up online early for my membership. Alls I can say is that I had a great time, and the friends I had w/ me Friday night had a blast. Glad we didn't ride the Light rail in like I thought we would, b/c had we done that, we would have had to pay for a taxi out to the 485/South Blvd park & ride. Instead, one of us drove in and we parked in one of the garages. It wasn't too expensive though. I had a ton to drink, and still only paid like $40. If you like music, especially a lot of good classic rock, southern rock, and 80s music, you'll have a blast going there.

Not sure for how long, but Friday night it was $7 and you could sign up then -- still have to go back and get the card on a different day

They were at capacity at 9:30 tonight. We had to wait about 30 minutes in line. But...even though I paid $11 a few weeks ago, they were offering memberships for $5 tonight. Again, it was a blast. It's amazing that I can have that much genuine fun in a bar that is actually a chain. I know it's new here, but Howl at the Moon in Louisville or San Antonio (the only other locations I've been to) were nowhere near as fun.

Word of advice: make this your last stop of the night and not the first. When we got there, it was almost miserable. Around midnight, it started to thin out a bit, there was no line, and you could actually breathe and still enjoy the enthusiastic piano players!

They were at capacity at 9:30 tonight. We had to wait about 30 minutes in line. But...even though I paid $11 a few weeks ago, they were offering memberships for $5 tonight. Again, it was a blast. It's amazing that I can have that much genuine fun in a bar that is actually a chain. I know it's new here, but Howl at the Moon in Louisville or San Antonio (the only other locations I've been to) were nowhere near as fun.

Word of advice: make this your last stop of the night and not the first. When we got there, it was almost miserable. Around midnight, it started to thin out a bit, there was no line, and you could actually breathe and still enjoy the enthusiastic piano players!

We had so much fun last weekend that tonight we've got at least 20 - 25 people going, reserved 4 tables and can't wait to get there. You pay for the tables, but you have them all night, have a waitperson, and plenty of room to mingle, dance, and have a blast. The tables are $125 for 5 people, but you don't have to wait in line, you get in without additional cover charge, and anyone that isn't a member gets a membership free that night.

We had so much fun last weekend that tonight we've got at least 20 - 25 people going, reserved 4 tables and can't wait to get there. You pay for the tables, but you have them all night, have a waitperson, and plenty of room to mingle, dance, and have a blast. The tables are $125 for 5 people, but you don't have to wait in line, you get in without additional cover charge, and anyone that isn't a member gets a membership free that night.

If anyone here wants to go, I won a free VIP Party for myself and 100 friends. It's scheduled for Fri evening 7/25. Everyone that I invite will get in free. They will have drink specials, and a complimentary Pig Roast, which is awesome. The only problem is we have to show up before 7:00 PM. Anyways, I don't quite know 100 people, heck, I'd be lucky to get 20 people I know here in the Charlotte area, so, if you want to go and have everyone here meet each other, PM me, w/ your name and either phone # or email. I have to let Howl at the Moon know exactly how many guests I'm bringing by the Monday before hand.

I've never won anything before save for some money in Vegas at the Craps tables at the Bellagio, so needless to say, I'm quite excited about this, and would love to meet some of you all.

If anyone here wants to go, I won a free VIP Party for myself and 100 friends. It's scheduled for Fri evening 7/25. Everyone that I invite will get in free. They will have drink specials, and a complimentary Pig Roast, which is awesome. The only problem is we have to show up before 7:00 PM. Anyways, I don't quite know 100 people, heck, I'd be lucky to get 20 people I know here in the Charlotte area, so, if you want to go and have everyone here meet each other, PM me, w/ your name and either phone # or email. I have to let Howl at the Moon know exactly how many guests I'm bringing by the Monday before hand.

I've never won anything before save for some money in Vegas at the Craps tables at the Bellagio, so needless to say, I'm quite excited about this, and would love to meet some of you all.

My friend said she won the same thing but on the 4th of July because she is a registered member...

My friend said she won the same thing but on the 4th of July because she is a registered member...

Mine was for the 4th too, but I called them b/c I will not be in town that evening, and they said that I could schedule it for any Friday in July, so 7/11, 7/18, or 7/25. I chose 7/25 b/c I figured it would give me more time to plan it.

• 3 weeks later...

My offer to all the Charlotte are UPers still stands. I have plenty of open spots for this VIP Party at Howl at the Moon this Friday night. The pig roast actually goes until 8:00 PM. Party starts at 5:00, but anyone on my list can show up anytime that night and get in for free. If anyone is interested, please PM me, with your name and contact info and I can put your names, and anyone that you think of bringing on it. I'd love to meet some of y'all. I hate the anonymity some of these forums have, when you haven't met anyone on them.

My offer to all the Charlotte are UPers still stands. I have plenty of open spots for this VIP Party at Howl at the Moon this Friday night.

I'll be there with some friends. They gave out quite a few of those VIP tickets. It's worth it just to get in free, just gotta be there before 7pm...

I'll be there with some friends. They gave out quite a few of those VIP tickets. It's worth it just to get in free, just gotta be there before 7pm...

By 7:00 PM is if you want to partake in the Pig Roast. If your name is on someone's VIP list, you can get in free whenever, at least according to the woman who set me up w/ mine. I know there are several others at the same time. I think they know that nobody is going to come close to their allotment of 100 guests. At least I hope so, b/c they can only put about 400-500 people in there I think. It's not all that big inside.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

A lot of great watering holes have popped up over the last three years and I noticed there isn't a lot of buzz about Charlotte "nightlife" on the board outside of new restaurants. I've really enjoyed the expansion of areas outside of Uptown like on Central Ave. or in NoDa. I checked out the Blind Pig in NoDa last night, pretty decent spot. Lots of entertaining games, expansive area that is clean and plenty of tv's. The owner was buzzing around quite a bit making sure everything was going smoothly. It's a nice addition to the area. Only gripe I had is they served me a pint in a plastic cup, which for me is a no-no. I like beer too much.

Only gripe I had is they served me a pint in a plastic cup, which for me is a no-no. I like beer too much.

Wow that's blasphemy. Honestly enough to keep me away, especially given that I think most of the other bars in NoDa are more my style, looks like this one is a bit more sports bar-ish.

Did Sin City change its name to NoDa 101? Also Jack Beagles always looks steady when I pass by but they STILL don't have any kind of sign up.

Archived