North Monroe

Gaiden

When I told River House sales I was considering Icon on Bond they told me that the city owns the parking lot in front of Icon and that the city of Grand Rapids building on Monroe is old and they may rebuild in that lot in front of Icon destroying the West view. Has anyone else heard this or is this just sales tactic? Whats going on with Jack Buchanan and his West Michigan Mailers building on Monroe and Newberry. Did he only buy the building just to tie it up for years and eventually hope to develope? Any updated on Landmark Lofts phase II? Thanks everyone

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I told River House sales I was considering Icon on Bond they told me that the city owns the parking lot in front of Icon and that the city of Grand Rapids building on Monroe is old and they may rebuild in that lot in front of Icon destroying the West view. Has anyone else heard this or is this just sales tactic? Whats going on with Jack Buchanan and his West Michigan Mailers building on Monroe and Newberry. Did he only buy the building just to tie it up for years and eventually hope to develope? Any updated on Landmark Lofts phase II? Thanks everyone

When I told River House sales I was considering Icon on Bond they told me that the city owns the parking lot in front of Icon and that the city of Grand Rapids building on Monroe is old and they may rebuild in that lot in front of Icon destroying the West view.

I think one has to expect that if you're enjoying a view that happens to be over an open piece of land in downtown (parking lot or otherwise)...there is a very strong possibility that a building will someday rise up on that open piece of land and block your view. The land is too valuable to have your view be un-interrupted forever.

ok fine, so I'm guilty of a little exagerration.

Still, being that Riverhouse is safely bound on all sides, its never going to have a Bertrand<Mies<Adrian situation (if you understood that reference, then you're an architecture junkie like me). Its safe, like building out in the suburbs.

The WAM site is safe too, because the park along the river isn't going away but at least there you're part of a neighborhood.

I prefer looking at buildings. When I stay at a hotel and have a choice of city view or something more natural, I go for the buildings every time :thumbsup:

Even if something were built on the parking lot, wouldn't it improve the view? I mean, it's a view of a freakin' parking lot!

Archived