What if Raleigh and Cary Merged?

Raleigh Kid

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cary would never go for it.

But if it did happen, the new members of the city council from Cary would instantly tip the council's balance away from pro-downtown to pro-suburban. If they could be convinced to support urban development on the condition that it stays downtown and they're allowed to maintain their suburban insanity, though, the property taxes alone would enable Raleigh to do all kinds of great things.

Cary would never go for it.

But if it did happen, the new members of the city council from Cary would instantly tip the council's balance away from pro-downtown to pro-suburban. If they could be convinced to support urban development on the condition that it stays downtown and they're allowed to maintain their suburban insanity, though, the property taxes alone would enable Raleigh to do all kinds of great things.

Does anyone think it's possible to even get the two cities to consider a merge I think it could be beneficial for both places and should at least be given a shot. Also why hasn't the city of Raleigh tried to annex more land?

Frankly, I wouldn't want Cary to be part of Raleigh. I'd think it'd have a negative influence on us. :P

Geographically Speaking, if Raleigh were to merge with an adjacent town it'd make more sense to merge with Garner...seeing as Garner's location is aproximately the same to the south as most of the upper reaches of North Raleigh are to the north. (I'm thinking symmetrical here.)

But hey....look at Chapel Hill & Carrboro. If two towns so close together that you can actually walk from the downtown center of one to the other's in like 10 minutes couldn't merge, then why would anyone else want to?

Expect Raleigh to grow by at least several thousand through annexations this year. A very large neighborhood is being annexed off of Mitchell Mill Rd. and 401 in North East Raleigh Wake Crossroads township called " Neuse Crossings" I suspecxt there are close to 2000 homes in that neigborhood and several hundred more homes in adjacent subdivisions.

What if Raleigh and Cary merged????

A 306 acre Dix soccer park.

A mandated curfew for Glenwood South and Fayetteville Street.

Rename the RBC Center the SAS Center.

Market old Cary as "southwest-the-beltine".

Paint the capitol dome beige as the green patina is a bit too standoutish.

As to the original question this has happened in SC. In 1968 the towns of Windy Hill Beach, Cherry Grove Beach, Crescent Beach, & Ocean Drive Beach merged their governments into what is now known as the city of North Myrtle Beach. I am not aware of a similar situation in NC in modern times though there has been some talk of Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson merging into the city of Lake Norman, (or something like that). The talk isn't serious enough however for it to happen.

In terms of annexations, NC law only allows an involuntary annexation if the area has developed to certain specified levels. A municipality can't annex another municipality. My guess is the residents of Cary would never agree to be annexed into Raleigh.

As to the original question this has happened in SC. In 1968 the towns of Windy Hill Beach, Cherry Grove Beach, Crescent Beach, & Ocean Drive Beach merged their governments into what is now known as the city of North Myrtle Beach. I am not aware of a similar situation in NC in modern times though there has been some talk of Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson merging into the city of Lake Norman, (or something like that). The talk isn't serious enough however for it to happen.

In terms of annexations, NC law only allows an involuntary annexation if the area has developed to certain specified levels. A municipality can't annex another municipality. My guess is the residents of Cary would never agree to be annexed into Raleigh.

• 1 year later...
I don't know how it would open up any land. As for the population growth, Raleigh is moving up the list of 100 Largest US cities quite rapidly without any mergers, so that wouldn't be a legit reason either. (And Greensboro, and I believe Winston & Durham are into the top 100 as well).

There have been a few small mergers in NC over recent decades. In 1962, Fuquay Springs and Varina merged to form Fuquay-Varina, and in 1967-68, 3 adjacent towns in Rockingham County merged to form the city of Eden, which was probably the largest after Winston-Salem. More recently, Hazlewood was dissolved into the city of Waynesville in (I believe) 1998.

Archived