Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Historic homes downtown

15 posts in this topic

Woodrow Wilson family home:

woodrowwilsonhome.jpg

Chestnut Cottage:

chestnutcottage.jpg

chestnutsign.jpg

Robert Mills House/Presbyterian Theological Seminary:

seminary2.jpg

seminary.jpg

ctssign.jpg

Seibels House:

seibels2.jpg

seibels3.jpg

Hampton Preston Mansion:

hamptonpreston.jpg

hamptonpreston_evening.jpg

hpsign.jpg

DeBruhl-Marshall House:

debruhlmarshallhouse_sign.jpg

debruhlmarshallhouse2.jpg

debruhlmarshallhouse.jpg

Mann-Simons Cottage:

mannsimons.jpg

mannsimons2.jpg

Blanding House:

blandinghouse4.jpg

blandinghouse3.jpg

blandinghouse2.jpg

blandinghouse.jpg

1425 Inn:

1425inn_sign.jpg

1425inn2.jpg

These are just random historic houses on the eastern side of downtown:

yellowhouse.jpg

womensclubsHQ.jpg

historichouse2.jpg

whitehouse2.jpg

whitehouse.jpg

pastelhouses.jpg

palmetto_house.jpg

houses.jpg

bluehouse.jpg

5story.jpg

hamptonneighborhood.jpg

historichouse.jpg

Oh yeah, that one is new, but it mimics a historic style and it's pretty contextual architecturally speaking. My bad! :D

Actually, I'm not sure if any of these houses are residential. You're right, most of them serve as offices now.

I would LOVE to see the Blanding House restored. I hope it happens soon.

I'd have to say that my favorite of those is definately the Debruhl-Marshall House. :camera: If someone wants to build me a dublicate and give it to me I would be most appreciative! :silly: And I know that his is out of the :whistling: city area...(currently), but there is a home in Wildewood subdivision that is an example of the historic style of SC. I wish I had a pic now to post, ill attempt to obtain one. But its a grand 3 or 4 story brick home with a golden tone and black paint accents. :D

FYI, the Chestnut Cottage is, or at least was back in 1998, a pretty good B&B. Any idea of what they are asking for the Blanding House? Looks pretty cool.

Lol, that's not historic!! :P

Thanks for the pictures! Columbia has some true Southern antebellum gems. I had never really thought about how many there really are. Did you get a feel for how many were truely residential? I know many of them have been converted to small business/laywer type offices.

^I agree. However, I would love to see this part of downtown get an infusion of some contextual residential developments. I think the Bull Street development might serve as a catalyst in this regard.

I think there should be a downtown development consisting of nothing but homes that are achitectually representative of those houses listed in this forum. :camera: Big, and colonial. Old style with all the new amenities. I don't feel that it particularly needs the addition of mix use and condos and all that crap, just a plain ole area with houses. :stop:

I guess the closest to this is arsenal hill and that other area whose name i cant recall at this time. But they still dont give me the grandeur :shok: that the historic homes (now law offices) give me. :dontknow:

I have to disagree; there are too many colonials and williamsburgs. I want to see modern.

As long as modern doesn't mean "McMansion" (which is what people are building in neighborhoods like these), then I am ok with that.

Arsenal Hill is the oldest neighborhood in Columbia from what I understand. I'm not sure how many of the old homes are still there or not other than the Governor's mansion.

^The only ones I'm aware of are the Lace House and the Caldwell-Boylston House.

I kind of like McMansions :whistling: ...i dont particularly want one but I like the variety and character they add. :camera:

McMansions in an of themselves are not bad. Its the fact that they are built in neighborhoods like this one and are always terribly out of style and character with the surrounding neighborhood. They overpower the houses around them due to the fact that they take up most of the lot they are on

As long as modern doesn't mean "McMansion" (which is what people are building in neighborhoods like these), then I am ok with that.

Arsenal Hill is the oldest neighborhood in Columbia from what I understand. I'm not sure how many of the old homes are still there or not other than the Governor's mansion.