Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batou

Lookin for UC area apt for next year

10 posts in this topic

I've been collecting some info for off campus apts next semester as I'm sick of living on campus and was just wondering what some of you thought of some of the different ones around here for those that live around here, like what's good or what ones suck?

I used to live in Hunt Club when I lived in the University area. I don't have any complaints about the complex.... only reason I moved is to get out of the University area in general.

I've lived in three different areas of UC (campus not included) and unfortunately there is a big difference and many pros and cons to each section. If you go west of 29, there is a LOT of traffic during rush hour but relatively little otherwise. So if you're trying to get around (ie to class) around 4PM-6PM, don't live west of 29. However, east of 49 (UCB) there tends to be more crime, albeit better traffic most of the time. Berkeley Place up Mallard Creek Ch Rd is probably my favorite complex so far. There are about four different complexes along Berkeley Place Dr that host a variety of apartments, from small to the equivalent of houses (but for rent.) I forget the name of the newest one, but there are a few on the right side of Berkeley Place Dr that are brand new and I have really become a fan of their floorplans and complex layouts. I used to walk my dog through there whenever I lived in Berkeley. About three months after I moved out of that complex, they added gates to the entrance (of just the Berkeley Place apartments) which I am a little mixed on. Sure it's nice to keep unwanted people out, but it makes it annoying at times to get friends in and out. It's a trade off. The whole complex isn't fenced off from the world like some others, so it doesn't stop anybody from walking into the complex, just from driving in. Thus, it seems a bit pointless to me.

Along Harris Blvd, but not far from campus, Chancellor Park and Oak Pointe are pretty nice, but I've heard a lot about people having their cars broken into there. Another inconvenience of living there is there is no way to make a left turn out of them onto Harris towards the university and the rest of town. You have to drive up to Old Concord Rd and either get back on Harris or drive down it to campus. Not really an inconvenience, just annoying at times.

Campus Edge and most of the other apartments around campus are seeping at the pores with crime, even with fences. A lot of my friends have lived at Campus Edge and both praised and complained about it. It is a great place to live, like campus, to meet people and have fun. The flip side is parking isn't always the most fun at night and you stand a good chance of having your car broken into if you don't have an alarm.

Other apartments around the area aren't horrible but have the trade off of being further away from campus. If you don't plan on driving, I'd recommend anything across the street from campus, on any side. If you do, anything on Berkeley Place Dr. There are plenty of housing complexes on Mallard Creek that also may have some models for rent. A lot of times they are cheaper per person if you have three or four people.

Ok, enough of this, I'm gonna go watch the game.

Ah good posts so far, I heard alot of crime related crap about the really close ones like campus edge, but then one flipside i hear of those places is that they do roomate matching (have no dang clue who i want to roomate with), unless theres others that do that that i just dont know about, and like you said you meet people more because they are like dorms. But then again I don't feel like having my car broken into. I def want my own bathroom, good size bedroom(god my oncampus bedrom is so small!), cable tv(channels 2-99 are fine with me), roadrunner, would also love it if the complex had a pool as I like to go swimming. And a pretty reasonable price for everything for it not being a complete craphole, but I don't need to live in a fancy condo or lil minihouse :)

I lived in Pavilion Crossings, across from Starlight Cinemas, while I was in college at UNCC. It was a great place. I made a ton of friends, and they always had cool events going on. Every Wednesday night was volleyball with free pizza and beer for residents. And they had 3 or 4 pool parties per year with free catered food and beer/liquor. It's also nice to be able to walk to the movies or to events at Verizon without having to pay for parking. And, even if you don't go to the show, you can hear them all from your balcony. I recall singing along to Pearl Jam songs even though I missed the show. It's far enough away to not be loud -- you can't hear it inside, but it is sometimes nice to walk out on the balcony and hear the music in the distance if you care for the band. Also, it was close enough to 485 to not have to worry about the serious traffic backup on 49 during shows. The apartments are fairly new (BRAND new when I was there) and they are very nice inside. No complaints about that place at all from me...I had a blast living there.

Pavilion Crossings is pretty decent, however they are under new ownership and management, things might have changed since they are under new management. The previous owners are building a brand new complex at 49 (University City Blvd) and I-485 called Halton Park, it's next to the Cici Pizza and Good Will. I'm not sure the sign is up for it yet, all the buildings are completed, however only two are ready for tenants. The floorplans are similar to Pavilion Crossings

This one site called apartment ratings must really have some angry reviewers cuz alot of the ones in the area have pretty low scores, either that or ppl only review if in their opinion the place sucks. :lol:

This one site called apartment ratings must really have some angry reviewers cuz alot of the ones in the area have pretty low scores, either that or ppl only review if in their opinion the place sucks. :lol:

I used to live in Thornberry for several years, which is right next to Berkeley Place. It was nice enough when I moved in, but went downhill. It does have a 15 person hottub though ;) which was the reason I stayed for so long. My friends truck got broken into there, and lots of other cars were broken into while I lived there. I think most communities are experiencing a decent amount of crime, but I suspect that much of it comes from shady guests or shady residents. My advice is to drive through any prospective community around 10-12 at night on a Friday or Saturday, and see if you feel comfortable with the people hanging out.

If I were to move back to a UC apartment, my first stop would probably be Alexander Chase (I thin), which is located on Mallard Creek Church Rd., across from Thornberry and Berkeley Place, but it's been a while, so things may have changed.

Yea I've found those ratings pretty biased. I went on there to blast Chancellor Park for its shortcomings, but I never went on there to praise Berkeley Place.

It may not be Pavilion Crossing I'm thinking about, but whatever the one on 29 is across from Starlight Cinema annoys me. This is from an outsider's perspective, but if you're trying to get to that complex from 485 around rush hour, good luck to you. I see that exit ramp back up the whole way down just waiting on one person to go across to turn into the complex. I totaled my last car when somebody decided to make a mad dash across 29 coincidentally at the exact moment I was driving through there. Unfortunately for the both of us, they didn't know what pressing the gas is all about. Nothing like having a car suddenly appear in front of you but not go anywhere.

I may be wrong about which complex that is, so forgive me if I'm placing bias on the wrong one.