Downtown Retail

Spartan

Downtown Charleston has the most unique shopping experience in the South, if not the nation. Rumor has it that Apple may be looking to Charleston's King St for a new store.

"King Street - Charleston, SC - This once-seedy section of downtown has been turned into the "SoHo of the South," with many familiar Apple store neighbors (J. Crew, Abercrombie, GAP, Pottery Barn, etc.). The street offers 500,000 s.f. of retail and is 96% occupied. Apple reps visited the city's Department of Economic Development in mid-2006, snapped site photos and asked about zoning/heritage approval procedures for a space renovation."

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Downtown Charleston has the most unique shopping experience in the South, if not the nation. Rumor has it that Apple may be looking to Charleston's King St for a new store.

"King Street - Charleston, SC - This once-seedy section of downtown has been turned into the "SoHo of the South," with many familiar Apple store neighbors (J. Crew, Abercrombie, GAP, Pottery Barn, etc.). The street offers 500,000 s.f. of retail and is 96% occupied. Apple reps visited the city's Department of Economic Development in mid-2006, snapped site photos and asked about zoning/heritage approval procedures for a space renovation."

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html

• 11 months later...

Apple likes to take over a space and turn it into its signature "glass cube" (i.e. Boston, New York) which has faced resistance in many locations. I'm curious to see their proposal for King Street--I imagine it will be more contextual with the local vernacular such as the Miami Beach Apple store.

Good for Charleston! It just gets better and better.

Apple likes to take over a space and turn it into its signature "glass cube" (i.e. Boston, New York) which has faced resistance in many locations. I'm curious to see their proposal for King Street--I imagine it will be more contextual with the local vernacular such as the Miami Beach Apple store.

Good for Charleston! It just gets better and better.

Apple likes to push the limits of rules. The glass cube in New York was technically allowed by zoning from what I understand. I assume that the Charleston store being on King St would be as modern looking as they could possible make it. It will be tough to get by the BAR, but they will try, I'm sure.

Looks like Apple was successful, to an extent.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2008/03/10...erings-surface/

In the rendering submitted to the BAR, the store is going to have an all-glass front on the first floor. The second and third floor will have the existing masonry removed to re-reveal the windows on the second floor, and have an architectural detail resembling windows on the third floor. The new upper-floor facades will be painted a neutral color.

I think I like this concept that Apple has submitted. The question is whether or not the BAR will like it...

Looks like Apple was successful, to an extent.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2008/03/10...erings-surface/

In the rendering submitted to the BAR, the store is going to have an all-glass front on the first floor. The second and third floor will have the existing masonry removed to re-reveal the windows on the second floor, and have an architectural detail resembling windows on the third floor. The new upper-floor facades will be painted a neutral color.

I think I like this concept that Apple has submitted. The question is whether or not the BAR will like it...

Archived