W Hotel -- what's the story?

sande07

It seems like the Downtown market would be better served with more 3 to 4 star hotel development than than these 5 star hotels. I think two or three top tier hotels would be great, but they will price out the tourist. Wouldn't we really rather have them staying downtown at a 15 to 20 story Holiday Inn Select or a new Double Tree than a hotel on WestEnd or the airport? Also the thought that everyone coming to a convention downtown can afford $200 plus a night is bad planning.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Producer2,

That was my point, but maybe you explained it better. Atlanta, Orlando and Las Vegas are great convention cities not just because of the convention space they have but also the diversity in lodging they offer. I attend five trade shows every year and the diversity of the attendees is pretty large. Large corporate companies will pay more where small private ones attending the same convention cannot.

Producer2,

That was my point, but maybe you explained it better. Atlanta, Orlando and Las Vegas are great convention cities not just because of the convention space they have but also the diversity in lodging they offer. I attend five trade shows every year and the diversity of the attendees is pretty large. Large corporate companies will pay more where small private ones attending the same convention cannot.

It seems like the Downtown market would be better served with more 3 to 4 star hotel development than than these 5 star hotels. I think two or three top tier hotels would be great, but they will price out the tourist. Wouldn't we really rather have them staying downtown at a 15 to 20 story Holiday Inn Select or a new Double Tree than a hotel on WestEnd or the airport? Also the thought that everyone coming to a convention downtown can afford $200 plus a night is bad planning.

Archived