W Hotel -- what's the story?

sande07

I don't think it matters now. With Gatehouse walking away it's very unlikely to be a W by another developer. W only works with a handful of developers. And with so many other high end hotel brands already in advanced stages of moving ahead on other projects I think Lionstone must be at a difficult crossroads as to what to do with that whole development now. Having an office anchored by a W up on the Roundabout is one thing. Developing an office building on the midblock site (in effect anchored by a Comfort Inn) with nothing immediately in store for the important corner (or pie) on the circle would seem quite odd to me. In effect, they'd be locking themselves in on an entire block of development based upon only a Swenson lease in hand. Even with another tenant or two I think this is unlikely to get traction. It sounds like the wheels are starting to fall off to me. Whatever other tenant interest there might have been with the W in the mix is very likely to move on after that change becomes apparent.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even with another tenant or two I think this is unlikely to get traction. It sounds like the wheels are starting to fall off to me. Whatever other tenant interest there might have been with the W in the mix is very likely to move on after that change becomes apparent.

Actually Mr. Marriott came to Nashville 5 years ago and was going to put a Ritz Carlton there. He determined they could NOT make any money there and he backed out. Mr. Marriott hand picks all locations for Ritz properties. He may have been short sighted, but if word gets out he can't make any money somewhere, people listen. There is only so much room in Nashville, and since Mr. Marriott has more properties here than anyone, it almost goes to show if he won't build there, nobody will. :shades:

The one thing that hurts this location is the fact that there's nothing high end within walking distance. No high end restaurants or entertainment. Someone farsighted needs to build here and force the area to change. If a "W" or other hotel comes there, I can guarantee the Music Industry will support it with all of the LA and NY industry folks that come here to do business.

Actually Mr. Marriott came to Nashville 5 years ago and was going to put a Ritz Carlton there. He determined they could NOT make any money there and he backed out. Mr. Marriott hand picks all locations for Ritz properties. He may have been short sighted, but if word gets out he can't make any money somewhere, people listen. There is only so much room in Nashville, and since Mr. Marriott has more properties here than anyone, it almost goes to show if he won't build there, nobody will. :shades:

Swensson is taking 60,000 square feet. Not sure about the real estate firm but I'd guess about 10,000 feet or more. I haven't seen any elevations yet and the flag is still a mystery right now. I think it still may be a W but perhaps that's not the case. I just don't know at the moment.

Nope ... it's 90,000 square feet of office condos across from ASCAP next to the historic mansion. Also, up on our site now is the Swensson deal. But what wasn't announced is that a real estate firm is also take space, moving from Brentwood.

Oh and this is the site plan

The fact that there is no "W" was confirmed by someone I work for that has nothing to do with anyone in the media, or any architecture firm, or any development group. It is common knowledge in the hospitality business that "W" can be a demanding and difficult organization. The reserach firm I work for on line is involved with dozens of industries and disciplines in various ISO organizations and Standard Industry Code classifications.

Sorry for any confusion.

Raider

It seems like the Downtown market would be better served with more 3 to 4 star hotel development than than these 5 star hotels. I think two or three top tier hotels would be great, but they will price out the tourist. Wouldn't we really rather have them staying downtown at a 15 to 20 story Holiday Inn Select or a new Double Tree than a hotel on WestEnd or the airport? Also the thought that everyone coming to a convention downtown can afford $200 plus a night is bad planning.

Archived