New Shopping Center Near Cherrydale

distortedlogic

The Problem with buying out that area behind cherrydale and in front of Montebello is that most of the houses only sit on less than a .25 acre. If you break it down into a per acre price for land the numbers start getting out of hand very quickly, especially when you factor in tearing down the old structures and clean up. Add to that the fact that as soon as you start talking redevelopment everyone thinks they are sitting on a gold mine then things get very hard indeed.

So even if you paid four hundred thousand per acre of rough unready land for building then that leaves only $100,000 per resident to move elsewhere and that really does not make sense for them. I think something like that will happen at some point but I think it is still sometime off.

Ohh and I have a very good feeling that this thing is going to get passed this time around, which will be great for that area.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the motion to reconsider by Joe Dill was denied, but there is still something going on. If you read the dockets under Second Reading They withdrew the original request but are planning on re-submitting it. This request did not have the extra parcels added to it and had been previously approved. So they jusy be looking at going back to this.

• 3 months later...

I am moving downtown so cherrydale is not as interesting to me as it used to be but here is some new info. A person who sits on the community board for the area had some interesting comments about recent happenings. There was a new master plan unveiled a few weeks ago at furman but I have not seen it yet. There is a mention of it on the county planning web site but no info. The survey on popular opinion was not encouraging and just seemed a little anti growth to me. It's to bad because the developers in the area right now are about as responsible as they come and when it comes down to it new retail is coming like it or not so the people being effected might be missing the best chance they have of getting a good deal. The retail developer was looking into buying property for the displaced residents and was looking at giving them new homes. He wanted to put in all above code construction meaning under ground utilities and fancy stone and landscaping for the new stores and living spaces. The last bit he told me was about the fact that Home depot is looking at moving to pointsett up from lowes and bi-lo would move out of their old location into the current home depot space. He didn't know whether they would build new or use the old building.

Work is well underway at the North East corner of Hawkins Road and US 25 in Travelers Rest for the new Kevin Whitaker Chevrolet, which is relocating to Travelers Rest from Pleasantburg, so new development will come to that property without a doubt once Kevin Whitaker moves to T.R.

As far as imminent new retail in the area, Colonial American Properties still appears to be working on their plans for "Poinsett Center" on North Poinsett Highway:

map.jpg

Home Depot has been long-rumored to be looking to put a store in Travelers Rest.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived