Louisiana's Tap Water

Trel-Ellis

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the best water in the state.

Baton Rouge boasts second cleanest water in U.S.

Underwater sources prove cleaner

by Claire Olhsen

Issue date: 2/16/07 Section: News

Originally published: 2/16/07 at 12:10 AM MST Last update: 2/16/07 at 12:09 AM MST

Men's Health magazine recently reported Baton Rouge has the second cleanest water in the country.

Because Baton Rouge draws its water supply from deep underground artisan wells, not surface sources, the city's water is far cleaner than other cities, said Hays Owen, senior vice president and chief administration officer of Baton Rouge Water Company.

Water pumped and treated from sources such as rivers, lakes and reservoirs is known as surface water, and water pumped from wells drilled into underground aquifers is called ground water, according to the Environmental Protection Agency's Web site.

The study, conducted by Men's Health, tested levels of arsenic, lead, halo-acetic acids and total trihalomethanes, a substance linked to cancer, total coliform bacteria and the number of EPA water-system violations from 1995 to 2005.

Full Story Here

I wish I could have Baton Rouge tap water... my subdivision (in BR) has it's own water company. And I refuse to drink it without filtering it first. It just doesn't taste right.

On a different note... my half-brother is from Iowa and when he first came to live here, he would get sick to his stomach from our tap water. For the longest time he had to buy bottled water to drink until he got used to it.

I wish I could have Baton Rouge tap water... my subdivision (in BR) has it's own water company. And I refuse to drink it without filtering it first. It just doesn't taste right.

On a different note... my half-brother is from Iowa and when he first came to live here, he would get sick to his stomach from our tap water. For the longest time he had to buy bottled water to drink until he got used to it.

You guys ever bathed in Memphis water, for some reason when the tub is filled with water, it has a crystal blue-ish(excuse my language) color....I thought to myself "wow it looks very clean" and then I thought " well maybe its some kind of chemical they added to the water that gives it that color".........idk.

You guys ever bathed in Memphis water, for some reason when the tub is filled with water, it has a crystal blue-ish(excuse my language) color....I thought to myself "wow it looks very clean" and then I thought " well maybe its some kind of chemical they added to the water that gives it that color".........idk.

That is weird... and kind of reminds me of the ditches near my old house, by Istrouma Baptist church. The water was a blueish green and I used to think it was so pretty... until we realized it was just drainage from Celebration Station where apparently the water is dyed blue. ;)

I grew up on bottled drinking water in New Orleans, Kentwood, to be exact. The city water in New Orleans is fine, but to put it simply, New Orleans is know for some fantastic things...its water isn't exactly one of them. ;)

I drank tap water as a kid. Little did I know that the water had very high levels of atrazine in it. Atrazine is a known carcinogen, but it's also a chemical used by most farmers. Luckily, no ill effects. I drink filtered tap water here in Slidell. It is from a water company and not the city.

I'm glad to live in B.R. because of the water. I remember when I went to visit family in Murhpy(suburb of Dallas), the water was horrible. Even the filtered water from the refrigerator tasted like pool water. I had to just drink juice the whole time I was there. :lol:

Water is a MAJOR +++" Positive" in Baton Rouge. I have heard many say that have been to California or lived in Florida there is no comparison with the water. The deep artesian wells have BR ranked highly in best water. Maybe that's why there is so many pretty women down here :lol: Though the water may be soft for some.

Archived