Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

More on Arch Capital Group relocating it's corporate headquarters to Greensboro. If we are talking hundreds of jobs or north of a thousand, Project 561 could become a reality. The Wall Street Journal reported that Arch Capital will move from being a smaller time player in the mortgage insurance business, leapfrogging everybody and becoming the largest mortgage insurer out there.

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triad/news/2016/12/22/largest-mortgage-insurance-company-in-u-s--will-soon-call-greensboro-home.html

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...

1400 jobs announced for High Point call center and it sounds like they promote from within. Maybe not the highest paying but still a significant payroll for the area. http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/02/21/call-center-operator-to-add-600-jobs-in-n-c-on-top.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-02-21&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1487710311&j=77452451  I always prefer jobs to Federal assistance programs. Might be ideal part time or students working through college too which the Triad has many colleges and universities. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Major job announcement in Davidson County $770 million investment by Austrian company for wood products plant employing up to 770 people. https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/07/24/wood-materials-supplier-to-open-700m-plant-in.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-07-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1500925234&j=78595031

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NC's LACK of major auto plant may help NC get an auto plant. I do truly believe the best site is the Greensboro megasite close enough to a city but can draw labor from near and far.http://www.journalnow.com/business/business_news/local/nc-s-lack-of-automaker-plant-presence-may-boost-chances/article_ebc558d2-06c7-5e55-8b0f-1c827c632d42.html 

• Like 1

NC is growing as an aerospace hub mainly thanks to Greensboro and all the companies at PTI like Honda, HAECO and others and also Union County outside of Charlotte is another hub of manufacturing for aerospace components. https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/08/17/taking-offn-c-is-no-4-for-aerospace-manufacturing.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-08-17&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1503006023&j=78712471

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The city of Greensboro has submitted a bid for an Amazon Headquarters. It would be a dual headquarters with the one in Seattle and the headquarters would create 50,000 jobs. If Amazon selected Greensboro it would be located in a city where one of its competitors are based (Greensboro based Market America). The company said it was inviting proposals for its new site, which it said could have a similar layout to its Seattle headquarters, including an urban downtown campus. This news comes at a time when the News and Record property downtown is up for sale and the city may be pitching that site to Amazon. There are also adjoining sites around the News and Record property that could be assembled for a downtown campus. It may be a long shot but you never know. One of the requirements is having direct access to mass transit. The depot which is a multi modal transportation hub and includes an Amtrak station sits right across the street from the News and Record property. This is why I believe the city is pitching that property and the timing of the sale couldn't be more perfect. Distribution operations could be located near the airport where the Mid Atlantic FedEx hub could help sweeten the deal. 

If Amazon were to build a downtown headquarters campus in Greensboro, it would be a game changer for downtown and thats an understatement. Their prescence would spur downtown residential development on a level the city has never seen before. We are talking about 50, 000 jobs We would also see more hotel proposals.  Like I said its a long shot but if it were to happen, downtown would see an explosion of development. 

http://myfox8.com/2017/09/07/greensboro-applies-for-amazons-second-headquarters-project-could-possibly-bring-50k-jobs-to-area/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/technology/amazon-headquarters-north-america.html

Edited by cityboi

10 minutes ago, kcw1988 said:

This would be huge!! Is there any other word on Arch Capital and a downtown headquarters?

There is exactly zero chance of Amazon landing in Greensboro. While it seems every medium sized or larger city west of the Mississippi is throwing its hat into the ring, this is a development that is going to be between the really large cities. Frankly, this might even be too big for Charlotte. Expect this project to land in Boston, NYC, Chicago, or Atlanta. Maybe even Toronto since Canada has not been ruled out either.

As for Arch, they seem to be slowly but surely bringing new jobs to the area. They seem to have about a half dozen to a dozen job postings at any given time. 

17 minutes ago, HRVT said:

There is exactly zero chance of Amazon landing in Greensboro. While it seems every medium sized or larger city west of the Mississippi is throwing its hat into the ring, this is a development that is going to be between the really large cities. Frankly, this might even be too big for Charlotte. Expect this project to land in Boston, NYC, Chicago, or Atlanta. Maybe even Toronto since Canada has not been ruled out either.

As for Arch, they seem to be slowly but surely bringing new jobs to the area. They seem to have about a half dozen to a dozen job postings at any given time. 

I do think that Boston is the frontrunner. Atlanta may also have a good shot, but don't rule out other smaller metros...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/here-are-the-cities-that-meet-the-criteria-for-amazons-second-headquarters-2017-09-07

52 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

I do think that Boston is the frontrunner. Atlanta may also have a good shot, but don't rule out other smaller metros...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/here-are-the-cities-that-meet-the-criteria-for-amazons-second-headquarters-2017-09-07

For what it's worth, I would be ecstatic if Raleigh (or Charlotte) were the choice as I feel that the Triad would feel at least some residual benefit as well (especially given that the Triad has about zero chance).  I think legitimate cases could be made for Raleigh and Charlotte (Charlotte has the bigger overall size and infrastructure while Raleigh has the advantage in overall technical talent. But I'm not sure either quite has the ability to provide the sheer numbers in talent that Amazon would be looking for. 50,000 is a big number. Which is why (as you said), I think Boston and Atlanta are two of the front runners. Austin is an intriguing option though as well that I hadn't thought of (not like I've put THAT much thought into this). 

• Like 1

I would be happy if Amazon HQ2 came anywhere in NC.  However I think NC has a fantastic and much better chance for this Toyota Mazda plant and I think the best site is the Greensboro mega site SW of town.  I have said this before Greensboro has got to be the least congested city in America with your miles of freeways and interstates in every direction.  85,40, 840, 785, 73, 74 etc.  I can't even keep up with all the interstates you have. Plus the Fedex hub for mission critical parts.  Plus I have read Toyota wants to engender more political support and that is why they may go to state where they do not have a presence.  Think of it 2 more Senators promoting your interests.  Execs of the plant could live in Gboro and plant workers would come from many many counties around.  NC has many of their supplier already for I think their transmissions are made in Durham, I know some parts are made in Concord too for Toyota.  The ripple effect for the state would be great!  Honda likes the area too with the Honda Jet plant and Honda lawn equipment plant in Burlington Mebane.  Plus a history of manufacturing that is the strongest in NC. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 11:06 PM, HRVT said:

Are they going to have a downtown headquarters?

3 hours ago, kcw1988 said:

Are they going to have a downtown headquarters?

It seems so. But for right now, I think they are renovating currently built office space rather than building anything new. I'm sure that could change in the future. There are probably others here that know far more than I do though.

• 2 weeks later...

North Carolina appears to be one of the top 3 finalist for a Toyota automobile plant and the megasite just south of Greensboro appears to be the frontrunner site in the state. Unusual helicopters have been spotted circling the site as well. 

http://www.greensboro.com/gnr/consultant-megasite-tops-north-carolina-s-presence-on-short-list/article_1cf3df21-d5b4-5dca-84e6-d179a5448b39.html

• Like 1

I think the Greensboro megasite is the absolutely best place for Toyota to go. Unfettered access to Greensboro, the Fedex hub, close for execs to live in a city, the best highway system in the entire Carolinas (in Guilford county) and the Triad labor pool is heavy in manufacturing and this site can draw from the edges of the Charlotte metro to the edges of the Raleigh Durham metro.   I remember going to Toyota plant in Georgetown KY and employees came from 2/3 of the counties in the state many 75-100 miles away.   This site could do that too as with wide 85 south into the Charlotte metro and wide 85/40 into Raleigh Durham.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think the Greensboro megasite is the absolutely best place for Toyota to go. Unfettered access to Greensboro, the Fedex hub, close for execs to live in a city, the best highway system in the entire Carolinas (in Guilford county) and the Triad labor pool is heavy in manufacturing and this site can draw from the edges of the Charlotte metro to the edges of the Raleigh Durham metro.   I remember going to Toyota plant in Georgetown KY and employees came from 2/3 of the counties in the state many 75-100 miles away.   This site could do that too as with wide 85 south into the Charlotte metro and wide 85/40 into Raleigh Durham.   

Good rail access to the site is another reason why its a front runner, also the fact that NC doesn't already have an automobile manufacturer. In addition the plant would attract suppliers so the jobs go beyond the 4, 000 Toyota/Mazda plant jobs. If the Greensboro area gets this it will draw national attention to our area because its been a hot story in the national media. This would be great for our area which already is home to Honda Aircraft world headquarters and jet factory. Being on the top 3 shortlist. We have a realistic shot at this! It would be the biggest jobs announcement the Greensboro area has seen in decades. 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Not sure what the other 2 states are unless Alabama is one of them.  It can not be understated that a factor that we do NOT have a auto plant much less a Toyota plant is another factor that may be in our favor. 2 More US Senators to fight for you.  Toyota has plants in TX, KY, MS, and IN and an engine plant in WV and AL.  Plus many Toyota suppliers are already in NC or nearby states like SC and TN.  I hope all these black helicopters circling the plant site means it is in the top 3 and will be the one. It is NC's time.  

• Like 1