Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

A globally known manufacturer is looking at W-S and other cities for a $300 million 1,040,000 sf 2,500 worker campus. Anybody want to take a guess as to who it might be? Audi/Volkswagen perhaps?

$300 million 1,040,000 sf 2,500 worker ??? Now that would truly change W-S and the Triad forever. Were any sites mentioned? or were they just looking at the area in general? I'd love to see something like this on the east side of Winston as the Triad beginning to focus an employment center near the HOT.

A globally known manufacturer is looking at W-S and other cities for a $300 million 1,040,000 sf 2,500 worker campus. Anybody want to take a guess as to who it might be? Audi/Volkswagen perhaps?

I've heard Charlotte mentioned as well as other cities for this... is there any backing to this 'rumor?'

If this is related to the VW/Audi rumor, it has been mentioned that the corporate headquarters could be relocating from Michigan to Arlington, VA, and that South Carolina is a potential location for a new manufacturing facility. I think Charlotte was also mentioned as a location for the HQ, but those are the only locations I've heard of specifically.

the article i read was very vague and just mentioned all of NC as a possible location...no specific cities. the other states in running are not known.

I think this would be very EXCELLENT news for the Triad. A corporate park and manufacuring facilty for more than 2,500 people is region changing. If its a foreign auto company, it would be the North American Headquarters. The Triad is already strong in the auto industry. Greensboro is home to Volvo Trucks of North America, textile companies that make fabrics for car interiors and there is even a plant in Greensboro that makes axles for trucks. Certainly such companies in the area combined with FedEX builds a strong case for such a development in the Triad. I think we will find out that FedEx will keep coming up as a big reason a company looks to locate to the area. People today just dont realize what an important asset FedEx is to the Triad.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

RF Micro Devices announced it could build another plant in Greensboro with 300 jobs that pay about $52,000 per yer

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70813021

RF Micro Devices is really becoming a fixture in Greensboro.

Looks like that may not be the case, at least for now.

RF Micro was turned down by the Guilford County commissioners on Thursday for their $1.03 million incentive request. The company is now considering sites in High Point, Winston-Salem, China, and the United Kingdom for the plant.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/70906024

Interesting. I see a few members said they believe that the company will build the plant in Greensboro with or without incentives. Also, commissioners said it was difficult to give money to such a large company when small businesses were struggling, which is a fair point. Others didn't like that most of RF Micro's investment would be in equipment, not buildings. Others mentioned the recently passed county budget, which raised property taxes for the sixth time in seven years.

Also, the incentives requested were in the amount of $1.03 million. The company would be spending a total of $103 million to build the plant. And the article said the jobs would average $42K annually, not $52K (still a good figure).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

AstraZeneca will pay Targacept $2 million for the option to exclusively license a potential treatment for cognitive disorders. Targacept would be eligible to receive additional payments of up to $226 million, contingent on achieving certain milestones.

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...ml?surround=lfn

• 4 weeks later...

Forsyth County Commissioners are considering a $17,000 incentive deal to bring a 70 job Ken Garner Manufacturing Co., counterweight manufacturing plant to Rural Hall, off Chipboard Road. Average salary is $37,000. Ken Garner Manufacturing will get a One North Carolina grant $25,000 and Forsyth County and Winston-Salem Business have to match it.

Just to let my fellow Triad urbanities know: the latest version of the West End Historic District visitors guide and walking map is now available through the Winston-Salem Visitors Center, travel outlets and tourist destinations around the state, and at select West End businesses. This is the fourth edition of the brochure, which started in 2001 as a pro-active way to win friends who would preserve and value the housing resources and the wonderful pedestrian-friendly business area of West End Winston-Salem. With the Warthogs stadium and new restaurants, shops and housing on the way, West End will continue to be an attractive place to live and visit in our area. You can see more about "Winston-Salem's Front Porch" (you do know the neighborhood started as a mineral springs spa resort with an eighteen-foot wide front porch, right?) by visiting the website I did for the place, West End Historic District: "Winston-Salem's Front Porch" - and you can get your own copy of the travel brochure and map by asking for one at this email link.

FINAL2~1.jpg