Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

Congratulations on what seems to be a very professional and highly useful guide and publication. This is great!

Thanks - it's done really well with the businesses - about half of my 30 advertisers have been in every edition, and they are almost all local single store shops. But it is where I live, so I want them to do well, so life is easier and more fun for me, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Greensboro based Daimler Buses North America received 1,052 orders for diesel-electric hybrid transit buses. MTA New York City Transit and Ottawa, Canada are among the cities that have ordered the buses

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...STAFF/590546668

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...wHY6nf5KfjhWNMQ

actually I wasnt aware that Greensboro had the North American headqaurters for Daimler Buses. I was also surprised that there is a Daimler Bus manufacturing plant in Greensboro on High Point Rd.

http://www.dcbusna.com

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro based Daimler Buses North America received 1,052 orders for diesel-electric hybrid transit buses. MTA New York City Transit and Ottawa, Canada are among the cities that have ordered the buses

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...STAFF/590546668

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...wHY6nf5KfjhWNMQ

actually I wasnt aware that Greensboro had the North American headqaurters for Daimler Buses. I was also surprised that there is a Daimler Bus manufacturing plant in Greensboro on High Point Rd.

http://www.dcbusna.com

This is a big boost for this company and of course it is always nice to see municipalities go "green" whenever possible.

I think Daimler Buses is actually located in High Point with the original manufacturing facility (formerly Thomas Built Buses) on High Point Road and Guilford College. But the offices and newest manufacturing facility for Thomas Built Buses are in High Point. Daimer owns both Freightliner and Thomas Built Buses. The buses are made locally and there are quite a few Freightliner manufacturing facilities in NC.

*I guess only Thomas Built Buses are built out of the HP location. I was under the impression that all their operations (TBB and Daimler Buses) had been moved to that building. Guess I was wrong.

Edited by coastalmindset

This is a big boost for this company and of course it is always nice to see municipalities go "green" whenever possible.

I think Daimler Buses is actually located in High Point with the original manufacturing facility (formerly Thomas Built Buses) on High Point Road and Guilford College. But the offices and newest manufacturing facility are in High Point. Daimer owns both Freightliner and Thomas Built Buses. The buses are made locally and there are quite a few Freightliner manufacturing facilities in NC.

The company refers to its North American operations being in Greensboro, including on its website. Here is the address given on the website:

6012 High Point Rd

Greensboro, NC 27407

To confirm this, I also checked Greensboro's latest GIS map that shows annexation boundaries and the facility is indeed in Greensboro even though its on the edge. Its one of those "satelite" annexations. It was probabally annexed over the past few years. Alot of annexations in Greensboro go unnoticed. Just south of the facility is Jamestown where GTCC's main campus is located. The Daimler facility is also just next to Grandover.

other sources indicating the facilty and headquarters being in Greensboro

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...ml?ana=from_rss

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/09/25/023046.html

"DaimlerChrysler Commercial Buses North America (DCCBNA), headquartered in Greensboro, N.C., combines three trusted commercial bus brands under one corporate structure: Orion transit buses, Setra motorcoaches, and the Dodge Sprinter shuttle bus. Backed by the advanced technological expertise and financial strength of its parent DaimlerChrysler, the global leader in commercial vehicles, the division provides the commercial bus market with a powerful combination of product knowledge, resources, and service/ support systems."

But regardless this is great for the Triad.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Pace Airlines in Winston-Salem, has been awarded a contract to do the heavy-maintenance checks on some of Continental Airlines 737-300 and 737-500 aircraft. 70 new jobs will be created paying an average of $50K per year. This will bring Pace's total workforce to 425, the majority in Forsyth County. The first aircraft is scheduled to arrive on January 7th.

WSJ Article about Continental contract with Pace

• 2 weeks later...

The business journal reports that Greensboro's growth and investments was strong in 2007.

1,499 new jobs were announced with capital investment reaching $260 million

"Highlights included Honda Aircraft, Lenovo and Zink Imaging, which all moved into Greensboro for the first time, as well as existing companies that expanded, such as RF Micro Devices, Procter & Gamble and Kay Chemical."

This is good news for Greensboro and lets hope 2008 will be even better.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Salem Creek Industrial Park, off West Clemmonsville Rd. in Winston-Salem has announced it's first tenant. NetUnlimited Cabling Solutions LLC., has announced it plans to move into a 7500sf building being constructed on site. NetUnlimited is currently located in Albert Hall in downtown, but the move will better fit their business as they rely on trucks coming in and out to help deliver their product. The company currently employs 17 people.

WSJ Article about NetUnlimited moving to Salem Creek

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

O'Reilly Automotive Inc. will locate its East Coast distribution facility in McConnell Center at Business 40/85. They will purchase an existing 300,000-square-foot building and invest $41.7 million over three years and create 360 new jobs paying an average wage of $27,201 per year plus benefits.

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...ml?surround=lfn

• 2 months later...

The Triad area is on fire according to this mag. With all of this corporate and industrial growth we should see an sizable uptick in the Triad poulation growth. As the article states the Triad is one of the most competitive metro areas in the country. This is a great sign that the area can more than hold its own against the Triangle and Charlotte. As a whole NC is is second in the south as far as new industrial announcements. The whole state is on fire!!!

http://www.siteselection.com/portal/

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2008/mar/topMicros/

There is speculation that Wachovia's presence in Winston-Salem may be in danger. The recently ousted CEO, Ken Thompson, made the commitment to Winston-Salem that Wachovia would keep 3,000 jobs in the city. With his departure, his replacement will have to clean house and try to return profits to the bank. Also, Wachovia is in a position that it could be bought out.

If the worst case scenario for the city happens, we would lose 3,000 good paying jobs which I doubt the local economy could easily absorb. Add on top of that the immediate vacancy of office space in the downtown area which would probably put a halt on any new commercial construction. It would be a huge blow to Winston.

Read about it here.

the city should do whatever it takes to try to keep these jobs...offer incentives to keep or even add workers here in W-S. Joines sounds like he's willing to put a generous offer on the table for the sake of downtown and the city. i would think the new CEO would have some type of loyalty to the birthplace of Wachovia. but then again, business is business.

• 3 weeks later...

Triad Guranty announced yesterday that they plan to cut 100 jobs, 65 in Winston-Salem and 35 in the Triad. That will leave about 150 employees in W-S and less than 10 outside the city. Talks with an Illinois investor, Lightyear Capital LLC, failed. cuts will start at the end of the month.

• 1 month later...

Wachovia has not had a good day, this morning it released it's previous quarters earnings. Down 8.9 BILLION dollars. Effective immediately, Wachovia will quite issuing mortgages thru brokers. It also has announced that 6,350 jobs will be cut. Fitch Ratings has downgraded Wachovia's rating outlook to negative and its issuer default rating from "A+" to "AA-" in reaction to the bank's poor quarter. There stock is now trading at pre 1991 levels.

The new CEO, Robert Steel, did phone W-S Mayor Allen Joines to tell him that Wachovia is commited to the city. The divisions located here did post a 9% increase in earnings, a $25 million increase on revenues, but assets under the control experienced a 3% decrease.

No comments available yet on what divisions or where the job cuts will be felt.

Wachovia has a bad day

Wachovia CEO offers pledge of commitment to W-S

Wachovia would have been a much better company had it merged with SunTrust or stayed independant.

well, this is good news for W-S, for now.

In a perfect world, BB&T buys Wachovia, keeps the name, and brings our bank back home. Soon after, Wachovia restarts the building blitz they began write before they were bought.

BB&T is actually on a list of about a dozen banks that could potentially fail which was released in the past week. I don't know how accurate this is, but their numbers are down as well. Even if BB&T could pull that off, with both banks having office in most major cities I would think it would create massive layoffs and shuttering of many office locations.

The best thing for First Union, excuse me "Wachovia", is to get rid of the 'good ole boy' mentality that has run that company for all these years. Bringing in an outsider to the organization was probably the best move possible.

It's a shame that Wachovia has been brought down to this by this merger and subsequent 'poor business decisions.'

just my dream...lol. I think im being being brainwashed by many of the locals who are still bitter about the loss of our HQ's. I would love to see Wachovia back here, but i know thats by a long shot. Allison has made it clear that BB&T is no longer seeking a merger of equals and he constantly reiterates that the bank intends on being a solo player. to me, that says if an offer is sweet enough, then bye-bye BB&T.

I don't think we'll see many financial mergers in the next couple of quarters.. these institutions want to work out their own myriad of problems (most banks have a least a couple of issues) even though the group as a whole did perform better than what Wall St. expected last quarter.

Maybe BB&T can stay independant and start growing again when the dust clears. I think they could initiate a 'merger' which would increase their presence here.

• 2 weeks later...

The Triad has some pretty fancy auto dealers. Many might be surprised that there is a Bentley dealership in High Point and its the only one in the Carolinas.

That's true but the Bentley dealership is a small one, 5 or 6 cars in the showroom and maybe a few other ones outisde, but they DO have one. I really am suprised Lamborghini thinks there is enough business here for a stand alone dealership I also would have though the Foreign cars dealership would have at least a few Lamborghinis in stock on account of having a few Ferraris there, either way I just may have to plan a visit over there when they open! :thumbsup: