Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

9 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

That article is not completely accurate. Wolfspeed and Vinfast are in Chatham County, which is part of the Triangle.

Furthermore, any wins for the Triad includes the other Triad cities. It's not all about Greensboro.

I said the Triad in my post, not Greensboro. Also Wolfspeed does plan on opening an innovation and development center on the NC A&T campus which is in the Triad. As far as the Chatham County mega site, technically its in the Triangle but it pretty much borders the Triad and there is better and closer transportation connectivity between the site and Greensboro than the site and Raleigh/Durham. Its minutes away from the Greensboro/Randolph mega site and Guilford County line. The location benefits the Triad more. Location trumps invisible boundary lines that really doesn't mean much in this case.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

I agree Wolfspeed will be more impactful for the Triad as it is north of Siler City though in the large Chatham County.  Since you can be there in about 35 minutes from downtown Greensboro it will impact Guilford, Randolph and Alamance counties as much as Chatham.  While Siler City is fairly affordable in terms of housing the rest of the county is not really especially around eastern Chatham or even Pittsboro.  

Vinfast will affect Wake and Lee and Harnett counties as well as Chatham.  The labor market for this large plants are huge and both of them will have people coming from 10-20 counties or more.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cityboi said:

I said the Triad in my post, not Greensboro. Also Wolfspeed does plan on opening an innovation and development center on the NC A&T campus which is in the Triad. As far as the Chatham County mega site, technically its in the Triangle but it pretty much borders the Triad and there is better and closer transportation connectivity between the site and Greensboro than the site and Raleigh/Durham. Its minutes away from the Greensboro/Randolph mega site and Guilford County line. The location benefits the Triad more. Location trumps invisible boundary lines that really doesn't mean much in this case.

I was referring to the article moreso than your post. That article is very slanted. Most of the marketing and economic development activity to lure the Wolfspeed plant and Vinfast operation happened in the Triangle, but from reading that article you would think that Greensboro was solely responsible for luring and winning both, and will be the only municipality to benefit.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I agree Wolfspeed will be more impactful for the Triad as it is north of Siler City though in the large Chatham County.  Since you can be there in about 35 minutes from downtown Greensboro it will impact Guilford, Randolph and Alamance counties as much as Chatham.  While Siler City is fairly affordable in terms of housing the rest of the county is not really especially around eastern Chatham or even Pittsboro.  

Vinfast will affect Wake and Lee and Harnett counties as well as Chatham.  The labor market for this large plants are huge and both of them will have people coming from 10-20 counties or more.  

If you read that article objectively, you'll see that its focus is on how these opportunities benefit Greensboro, even though neither are physically located in Guilford County. That is hard to debate, and we all know that a large portion of NC will benefit economically from these operations.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

All these megasite announcements as of late will benefit every county around them and lots more.  There is a huge overlap in the labor markets for the 2 closest projects the Toyota site and the Wolfspeed.  I see Vinfast when built attracting lots of workers from further south and east but will include Wake and Chatham counties.  Since Toyota and Wolfspeed at this point will be done first  you will see the ripple effect much sooner than Vinfast.  Exciting times for all of central NC from Randolph county to Lee county and all the counties that touch I-85 corridor from Winston to Durham.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I was referring to the article moreso than your post. That article is very slanted. Most of the marketing and economic development activity to lure the Wolfspeed plant and Vinfast operation happened in the Triangle, but from reading that article you would think that Greensboro was solely responsible for luring and winning both, and will be the only municipality to benefit.

I think the point of the article was to point out the economic trends in the Triad region and the area is finally booming whether it be in the core of the Triad or the fringes.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 7:35 AM, rancenc said:

this is quite the statement.

“The reason I say North Carolina and Liberty is a great location for doing business is that we have a lot of internal interest in people wanting to work in North Carolina — higher than any other plant that we’ve announced or opened in the U.S.,” Bafunno said.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cityboi said:

Chinese company to build EV chargers in Greensboro. The Toyota plant is already attracting new companies and it hasn’t even opened yet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/06/13/autel-signals-triad-ev-charger-plant.html

I am sure they saw Toyota was building an EV battery plant here and then looked around and liked what they saw.  Many other spinoffs from Toyota will come to the Triad.  Toyota is a great brand and well know company around the world. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

North Carolina's first Bucees could be coming to the Triad.

Bucees could be coming to Mebane. The site is centrally located between the Triad and Triangle but technically is in the Triad. The gas station at the store will feature 120 gas pumps. The location is just over 20 miles from the eastern edge of Greensboro.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/north-carolinas-first-buc-ees-possibly-coming-to-the-piedmont-triad/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, cityboi said:

North Carolina's first Bucees could be coming to the Triad.

Bucees could be coming to Mebane. The site is centrally located between the Triad and Triangle but technically is in the Triad. The gas station at the store will feature 120 gas pumps. The location is just over 20 miles from the eastern edge of Greensboro.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/north-carolinas-first-buc-ees-possibly-coming-to-the-piedmont-triad/

So excited about this!  Orange County rejected their Efland site but this one is just as good.  And everytime I am at Bucees they mention a location coming to Rocky Mount too on I-95.  This will increase sales tax receipts for sure and would be good for Alamance County.  

• Like 4

Triad Business Journal reports that the Triad Bucees will be the largest in the United States. With 120 gas pumps and at 75,440 square feet it will larger than the Publix store in Burlington. Keep in mind Bucees is a convenient store. The store will definitely draw people from far away. They are well known for their Texas brisket sandwiches, fudge bar and other tasty prepared food. They have a large selection of souvenirs and general merchandise.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/06/30/buc-ees-submits-plans-for-mebane-store.html

This is a cool place

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

the entire Triad is well represented in the biggest 25 job announcements and investments in NC last year from Business NC magazine 

and the #1 is the Wolfspeed plant in Siler City which I consider this part of Chatham County a part of the Triad.   But lots of other counties are represented.

https://businessnc.com/north-carolinas-most-job-rich-economic-development-projects-of-2022-2023/

• Like 4