Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

they canceled the Senior Games? i didnt know that. yea, bring those back. complaints about East Winston have been discussed for decades, and still there has been very little to no progress. Union Station would change that.

The Senior Games being cancelled was a nasty rumor perpetuated by the Journal.

I doubt Union Station will be the 'salvation' of East Winston. I canvassed these neighborhoods with the Obama campaign and having never really spent much time on this side of town was saddened and shocked at the state of things 'East of 52.' The city really needs to focus more on this area. Union Station will benefit WSSU first and Downtown a bit, not the areas of East Winston that need help.

• 3 weeks later...

BusinessWeek: Gray Skies Over Greensboro

Wow! According to this article, it does seem like the beginning of the end for Greensboro! Who knew? Nothing in the

article about the Fed Ex Hub, Fed Ex Ground, Honda Jet or the blessing of a few recent job annoucements. Nothing in the atricle about us being well positioned for a bright economic future once the current recession is over? It's enough to scare me! Summerfield! Quick! Annex us before we crash and burn!

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...ne+channel_news

Many cities across the country could have replaced Greensboro in this piece. This was nothing but bad news to sell print. Not much substance. Granted, it is happening, but all over (Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and other cities in the south.)

I agree that the BusinessWeek was lacking in substance. No one disputes that the economic situation right now is tumultuous. But the author of this article chose to impose the experiences of one woman looking for a job on the entire city. I also agree that this article neglected to mention the positive developments currently underway in Greesnboro (FedEx, Hondajet, Precor, and others). Seattle Newspaper is quoted as stating "Greensboro has attracted more than $470 million in investments, resulting in 2,400 new jobs," following the Precor announcement.

• 4 weeks later...

Jet Finishing Company could bring 800 jobs to Greensboro. Clearly Honda Jet is a reason the company is looking at Greensboro.

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Home/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Thats good news Cityboi. Do you know if this is the secret project the airport board had been meeting on for the last two months? See my previous post for the link.

Thats good news Cityboi. Do you know if this is the secret project the airport board had been meeting on for the last two months? See my previous post for the link.

Its very possible it could be the same project. I'd like to think the secret project is something else and even bigger, but they could be the same project. Thats alot of jobs this company could be bringing to the area. Its been narrowed down to Greensboro and Kansas City......LOL it seems like Greensboro and Kansas City are starting to compete for everything now. The two cities coincidently are also competing for the national figure skating competition.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

December unemployment figures for the Triad were released today, while the region is tracking simlar to the state (8.5 for the Triad, 8.7 for the state), the only two MSA's to add jobs in NC last month were the Winston-Salem MSA and the Greensboro-High Point MSA.

Winston-Salem added 1400 jobs last month while Greensboro-High Point added 100.

Still, there is much uncertainty about what Wells-Fargo will do with the 2,900 employees in the Winston-Salem area...

Medical devices company ConvaTec in Greensboro is adding 30 jobs with an average wage of $44k and will spend $19.55 million in "machinery, equipment and building upfit."

Read it here.

cool. I use to work for ConvaTec 10 years ago. I loved the job, I just couldnt function working 3rd shift

Edited by cityboi

Piedmont Aviation is creating 120 jobs in Kernersville with an average pay of $44,805. Read it here.

Does anyone know anything about the 800 aviation jobs that Greensboro was competing with Kansas City for? The news has been awfully quiet about this. I've checked the headlines for KC pretty regularly the last couple of weeks and no mention on their end either of the employment.

• 1 month later...

Lowes plans to close Guilford County Distribution Hub by the end of the year. 81 jobs will be cut.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/ma...sdale/business/

Dell lays off W-S workers. Number of jobs lost is not yet known.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/ma...rs-local-plant/

82% of W-S companies surveryed said they plan to keep or hire workers in the 2nd quarter while 13% plan to cut. 72% of GSO/HP companies surveryed plan to keep or hire workers while 22% plan to cut.

Employment outlook

Rise - No change - Fall - Don't know

Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord MSA - 12% - 65% - 19% - 4%

Durham MSA - 10% - 71% - 14% - 5%

Greensboro-High Point MSA - 12% - 60% - 22% - 6%

Raleigh-Cary MSA - 14% - 69% - 15% - 2%

Winston-Salem MSA - 12% - 70% - 13% - 5%

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/ma.../business-area/

• 2 weeks later...

More information, or should I say speculation, about the company I previously mentioned back on January 14th. The aviation company which PTI was hoping to land has put its expansion plans on hold because of the economy. No surprise there.

The article said that when expansion plans resume, PTI would likely be competing with the Greenville-Spartanburg airport for the company. What do you think about the competition? I gave GSP's stats a once-over and I think PTI hands down has better infrastructure for companies looking to expand.

Read the story from the News & Record here.

Should be stiff competition. Greenville is home to a lot of aviation companies like Lockheed Martin at the South Carolina Technology and Aviation Center. In fact, Greenville was in the top three running not too long ago for a Rolls Royce aviation plant. Unfortunately, we didn't land it though. I think whichever area offers the most tax incentives will land it.

• 1 month later...

Moses Cone Health System announced today a $208.5 million renovation and addition to Cone Hospital near downtown Greensboro. The project is called "The North Tower Project" after its plans to build a new 6-story tower. Read it here. Completion is slated for 2015.

Also, don't know if this really belongs in this section, but oh well. Kotis properties announced last week that it's moving forward with the old Rolane's outlet building off of Howard Street near Spring Garden. The $20 million project will turn the 80 year-old mill building into luxury residents and office space. The developer says the additional acreage will be later developed into retail and office space as demand requires.

242064-0-0-1.jpg

I remember my parents dragging me to Rolane's way back in the day. I had totally forgotten about it because it's so removed from a major street. I think this project could be very cool and breath new life into that area around the old amtrak station. Read it here.

Moses Cone Health System announced today a $208.5 million renovation and addition to Cone Hospital near downtown Greensboro. The project is called "The North Tower Project" after its plans to build a new 6-story tower. Read it here. Completion is slated for 2015.

Also, don't know if this really belongs in this section, but oh well. Kotis properties announced last week that it's moving forward with the old Rolane's outlet building off of Howard Street near Spring Garden. The $20 million project will turn the 80 year-old mill building into luxury residents and office space. The developer says the additional acreage will be later developed into retail and office space as demand requires.

242064-0-0-1.jpg

I remember my parents dragging me to Rolane's way back in the day. I had totally forgotten about it because it's so removed from a major street. I think this project could be very cool and breath new life into that area around the old amtrak station. Read it here.

This is the biggest expansion Moses Cone Hospital has had in years. Although I wouldn't call 6 stories a tower LOL. I tend to think a tower is 9-stories and up. I've always wonder why the hospital never expanded upward. Baptist in Winston is about 12-stories. I say that because Moses Cone is spread out far enough. You get a good work out walking from one end of the hospital to the other, that is if you can make it through the maze of hallways.

Also as a kid I also remember my parents dragging me to Rolane LOL

Edited by cityboi

I hadn't heard about the potential renovation of that old mill. It sounds like a very good plan and it should fit well into the Spring Garden St. plan that was passed by the city several years ago. I wonder if their decision to go through with this was influenced by the fact that it's right in the area where UNCG has proposed their potential "Western Campus."

I hadn't heard about the potential renovation of that old mill. It sounds like a very good plan and it should fit well into the Spring Garden St. plan that was passed by the city several years ago. I wonder if their decision to go through with this was influenced by the fact that it's right in the area where UNCG has proposed their potential "Western Campus."

I haven't hear about a "western campus" for UNCG before. If UNCG grows beyond its existing boundaries, which it will, I would guess it would be towards Lee Street.

Rehabbing old mill buildings has been popular in other NC cities, so Kotis is following the trend. I think the fact that the company could get millions in tax credits probably spurred the decision to move forward. Also, the mill building sites right beside the proposed commuter rail line, which would be a benefit down the road if that transit project moves forward.

I haven't hear about a "western campus" for UNCG before. If UNCG grows beyond its existing boundaries, which it will, I would guess it would be towards Lee Street.

The potential for a western campus is mentioned in the UNCG 2007 master plan (linked here) UNCG already owns a building near the site and If it's actually built - along with the commuter rail line - then I'd imagine the property values in the area would increase considerably.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure everyone has heard about the planned logistics center at GTCC's new campus on Highway 68. If not, here's the link. And there are plenty more stories if you google it.

I think this is great, not only because it's smart for the region to capitalize on the strong transportation network and infrastructure we have, but because this plan brings together many different groups, from colleges and universities to big names in logistics like Volvo and Old Dominion.

I'll be the first to admit the transportation and logistics related industries are not the panacea to the Triad's economic woes. But it will help. And, if this and other organizations market our assets well, it could lead to bringing many more companies to the area...be it pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies that depend on time sensitive delivery or advanced technology companies.

If only the Triad's governing leaders could get together and work like this...cross county lines and partner with each other to not only create a greater regional identity, but work on critical issues like regional transit.