Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

According to this press release, Ameritox will build a new processing facility and laboratory in Greensboro and hire 228 people once the facility becomes operational.

Previously back on Sept 8th, I stated the the jobs would pay an average wage of $44,000 annually. But we'll have to wait to here more about the announcement once the N&R or Biz Journal picks it up.

Edited by beyonce245

According to this press release, Ameritox will build a new processing facility and laboratory in Greensboro and hire 228 people once the facility becomes operational.

Previously back on Sept 8th, I stated the the jobs would pay an average wage of $44,000 annually. But we'll have to wait to here more about the announcement once the N&R or Biz Journal picks it up.

UPDATE: The N&R confirms the announcement, and reports that Ameritox rescinded its request for incentives money.

It's good to finally hear some positive economic news.

Edited by beyonce245

great news and no need for incentives! looks like it will be 228 high paying biotech jobs. its an example that when you have an solid trainable workforce, good infrastructure, and reasonable cost of living, companies will move here without or very little incentives. I wonder where in Greensboro it will be built? I think it should be built at Gateway University Research Park.

Edited by cityboi

I wonder where in Greensboro it will be built? I think it should be built at Gateway University Research Park.

Sorry cityboi. According to WXII, it will be near Gallimore Dairy and I-40 in the Airpark South business park. But I think that's a good location though. It's closer to Kville, Winston, and High Point, so the company can draw from the employment pool in those areas as well. And they're repurposing a vacant building instead of building from scratch. Best of all, the facility should be complete by the end of this year, and it appears that the company plans to fill all 228 positions in 2010!

These will bee good paying jobs (assuming the previously cited annual wages are still planned). I'm happy that many Triad residents will be getting back to work with the kind of company that we need more of here.

HanesBrands will be closing the Weeks Plant, at 401 West Hanes Mill Road, by the end of next year. 240 jobs will be affected. 80 of those 240 jobs will be transferred to HB's distribution center in Rural Hall. This closing represents Hanes' departure as a manufacturing giant in Forsyth County. Mt. Airy will have the last Hanes manufacturing plant in NC.

Hanes to close last plant in Forsyth; 240 workers affected

• 2 weeks later...

Piedmont Triad Intl Airport sites to get water and sewer. Word has it that two companies are looking at airport sites. One would attract 800 jobs and the other 200 to 300 jobs. One of the companies would have just as much impact as Honda Jet.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/11/10/article/city_approves_airport_spending

Other job outlook news, Burlington based LabCorp is seeking incentives to open operations in Guilford County and add 373 jobs.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/11/10/article/labcorp_seeks_incentives_to_add_jobs_in_guilford

also Polo Ralph Lauren Corp plans to move a distribution center from West Virginia to Greensboro

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6385960/

Edited by cityboi

Job recruitment seems to be going well for GSO.

Where did you get the info for the 800 and 200-300 job developments?

I don't know about the 200-300 prospect. But the company considering bringing 800 jobs has been mentioned several times throughout the past year. This article talks about the company looking at sites that are adjacent to the new runway, which are what the incentives cityboi mentioned will be used to prepare for development. There was also some company that the Isaacson said could make a decision to come to PTI by the end of the year. I don't know if it's the same company he was referring to. We'll just have to wait and see. But hopefully more good news is on the horizon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the former owners of Carlyle & Co. appears poised to re-open the jewelry chain in the near future, according to an article in the Biz Journal. He confirmed that he was the principal in an investment firm that bought the naming and intellectual property rights to the Carlyle name, the headquarters in Greensboro, and several store leases, including the flagship store in Greensboro, and those at Crabtree Valley, Southpoint and Southpark.

I always thought that Carlyle was a strong brand. It probably would have never gone into liquidation had it not been for the financial troubles of the parent company that bought it back in 2005.

• 2 months later...

Manpower released employment outlook results today and things are looking better in the Triad. Winston-Salem should lead the area metros in job creation with 18% of employers planning to hire while Greensboro/High Point will be in the positive as well with 14%. Burlington is also adding jobs, but many are temporary positions. Manpower believes Winston-Salem to be the 'hot spot' for awhile in job creation in the Triad due to growth in Finance as well as a resurgent mortgage industy.

Read the WFMY article here.

RF Micro Devices announced today that it has successfully manufactured solar cells using the same processes that it currently uses to make cell phone chips. This is important because high volume production of solar cells wouldn't require any capital investments in a new plant or equipment. RF can simply make these chips in its existing plants. The company says it plans to begin selling the chips in 2012 for use in renewable energy production.

Good news, especially if it leads to more jobs at its Greensboro headquarters and plant.

Edited by beyonce245

• 1 month later...

Volvo's presence in Greensboro is growing....

Volvo will move its global customer finance company's Headquarters to Greensboro. The corporate headquarters to sister companies Volvo Trucks of North America and Mack Trucks are already located in Greensboro. I wonder if this could lead to the North American headquarters of its cars or a future automobile plant locating to Greensboro

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/04/26/article/volvo_to_move_customer_finance_companys_hq_to_greensboro

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...