2007 Municipal Elections

kayman

yeah, i was the second guy they spoke to. of course they picked the most inarticulate moment of my whole tirade. i'd been awake for 48+ hours and had just driven into town from auburn when they ambushed me - i was leaning against my car the whole time bc i was exhausted and couldn't think and stand at the same time.

it's on the wbrc web site, too, but the low-fi multimedia version of the story just makes me look and sound that much sketchier!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PATRICK COOPER LAYS OUT HIS PERSONAL LIFE AND PLAN IF ELECTED

Patrick Cooper has decided to finally sit down with The News and talk to them about everything his personal, family, education, career, and his plan if elected mayor of Birmingham. It is long article but it discusses his views on what has caused the widespread voter apathy that led to such low turnout. IMO, after reading this article he has shown that maybe it is time for a fresh face and new person to bring something to the table other than the same ole.

• 3 weeks later...

For mayor

The Birmingham News has opened endorsed Patrick Cooper as the mayoral candidate to elect Tuesday. I include myself as one of those that will be voting for him also as it seems he is the only candidate has tried to reach out across the aisle to other groups in the city rather than the same ole, same ole race baiting tactics.

The colorful insight into the history of Larry Langford

This week's edition of the Birmingham Weekly has given us a chance to gain some perspective into the history of mayoral candidate Larry Langford. It tells about his beginnings in Loveman Village in the Graymont community to his time on Birmingham City Council in the 1970's and early 1980's to his current helm on the Jeffco Commission. It also discusses his successes and some of his lack there of.

I suspect it will come down to a Langford vs. Cooper run-off. I think either of those would be better than Kincaid, but that's just me. If nothing else, I'm ready for some fresh blood in the mayor's office and some new initiatives. Things have become stale under Kincaid's watch.

Can't wait to start seeing the precints reporting in a little over an hour.

From the tortoise to the hare, what a change for Birmingham. Hopefully he'll surround himself with good policy advisers and get good things done for the city. I think it's a good sign that he's reaching out early to build relationships with other regional and state leaders, something the outgoing mayor just wouldn't do.

LANGFORD MEETS WITH AREA BUSINESS LEADERS

Mayor-elect, Larry Langford has meet with numerous of the area's business leaders and he appointed Alabama Power CEO and outspoken 'lack-of-regional-cooperation' critic Charles McCrary as business liason to between him and the business community. Langford has announced that 'Birmingham is open for business'.

I must say this is good sign that compared to Kincaid administration, that he is trying to reach out and actively seek to work with the area's business and promote the city. This in turn should help the city, and could help in the long run help bring in more sustainable industries such as financial, and knowledge-based jobs into the region.

Archived