2007 Municipal Elections

kayman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for finding that out and letting us all know. I'm not sure what her chances are, but I'm glad that she'll be running. Unfortunately, I think the central city/southside will be torn between Abbott and Cooper. The surrounding poorer neighborhoods, unfortunately, may be more likely to vote for Kincaid or Smitherman. Just as long as it's not Kincaid or Bell, I think I can deal with it. Abbott and Cooper are probably my favorites, but I'm not sure either is likely to carry alot of weight with voters in the poorer communities.

The more I learn about Patrick Cooper, the more I starting to like him as a candidate for mayor. He seems like he has his head in the right place and has some fresh ideas. Now his biggest obstacle will be convincing those who would vote for Bell or Smitherman in the city's western portion and Woodlawn/East Lake area by default to change their minds.

• 1 month later...

There's a few reason's I like Cooper: He has an excellent resume, he's lived/worked in progressive cities (NYC, San Francisco), he's new to the Birmingham political scene, it seems that he is passionate about the city and is full of fresh ideas and perhaps his greatest quality, his name isn't Larry Langford or Bernard Kincaid. Birmingham needs someone fresh.

I read it over the weekend, and I must agree. Langford is a great thinker, but is horrible at being a financial officer for the County as Commission President. Kincaid, hell, I can't say anything good about that imbecile because he has wasted more of the city's revenue fighting court battles because his whiny a** doesn't always get his way. Yeah, the city has $100M in its reserve and he has had no scandals, but the crime rate and the schools are in poor condition.

In the end, I'm leaning more and more towards Patrick Cooper.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's time for someone new in B'ham politics. I can't support Bell, Langford, or Kincaid as long as Cooper is in the race. I have talked to him several times over the last month and so far I'm pretty impressed with what I have heard.

Kincaid seems to can't get away from his race baiting ways. Just last week there was an event in Roebuck where Kincaid and Cooper were in attendence and low-and-behold Kincaid asked aloud, "What is Cooper's wife's race?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There will be an organized mayoral candidate debate called "The Great Debate" that will be held at the Museum of Art on Wednesday, September 12 @ 7PM. It is being sponsored by the new organization, One Birmingham, and the admission is free, but you must have a ticket to attend. (I'm going to find out where tickets can be picked up)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guess who is footing the bill for the majority of Kincaid's reelection campaign?

It's none other than Donald Watkins, Jr., the former Birminghamian and lawyer for none other than Richard Scrushy, and the one of the main people that was called out during the most recent scandal involving the BWWB. He has quote that Kincaid is "He's highly intelligent. His experience and exposure in government is an asset. I think Bernard has a good grasp of city government and how it works, and what he can and cannot do."

Yeah, Kincaid is highly something, "inept". He has amazingly accomplished hardly nothing in the past 8 years other than wasted funds with holding vacancies for key positions in municipal government and having a staff of 32 mayoral assistants for a city this size. Yeah, he has done an absolutely wonderful job. :rolleyes:

FATERNAL ORDER OF POLICE ENDORSES WILLIAM BELL

The Faternal Order of Police of Birmingham has endorsed and donated $10K to the William Bell's campaign for mayor. Their press release announced that ""This city is not at a crossroads; we've taken a wrong turn. We're headed down Crisis Highway quickly approaching Chaos Central. William Bell possesses the ability to right the course."

Bell says that he will fill between 100 to 140 positions with the salary surplus from unused money set aside in the annual budget for salaries.

• 2 weeks later...

apparently i'm going to be on fox 6 news at 9 or 10 tonight, saying i've-already-forgotten-what about the upcoming mayoral race. i was on southside at tom & jerry's chevron getting beer (of all things) a few minutes ago, and the tall blonde reporter girl (whoever she is) stopped me as i was putting it in my trunk and gave me the whole man-on-the-street treatment.

so, if any of yizall happens to be watching the wbrc news tonite and sees a filthy hippie in a parking lot mumbling something about 'regional cooperation' - well, hello, it's me.

lol - they'll prolly cut it anyway. wish i still had a VCR!

p.s. - i'm not a hippie.

apparently i'm going to be on fox 6 news at 9 or 10 tonight, saying i've-already-forgotten-what about the upcoming mayoral race. i was on southside at tom & jerry's chevron getting beer (of all things) a few minutes ago, and the tall blonde reporter girl (whoever she is) stopped me as i was putting it in my trunk and gave me the whole man-on-the-street treatment.

so, if any of yizall happens to be watching the wbrc news tonite and sees a filthy hippie in a parking lot mumbling something about 'regional cooperation' - well, hello, it's me.

p.s. - i'm not a hippie.

p.s. - i'm not a hippie.

Archived