Property Value around here

outapitts

This whole "comparing Pittsburgh to other cities" thing is just pointless. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pittsburgh, while flaws it does have, is such an independantly unique place that it can't be compared to anywhere. Here you can get a very decent home for 60-70k in a neighborhood that would only be seen as sucky by it's own residents.

A perfect example of this is Brownsville. Most of us locals would say "who the hell would wanna live in Brownsville?" Well, I gotta say I took a drive through there while I was working last week...on a sunny day...and I can honestly say that that town would be very appealing to me...If I was from somewhere else!

I think everyone in our area is selling ourselves short when we list our homes for way less than what someone from say...California would be willing to pay for it at the drop of a hat.

Who's to blame for this? Realitors? Appraisers? I don't know enough about real estate to offer an answer to that one. I do know this though: It can't be the lack of jobs or young people. Just look at Florida for the love of God! No Jobs (unless you wanna make enough to live in a cardboard box) and basically the same if not worse elderly population as Pittsburgh...Only reversed. and look at housing costs there!!!It's time people around here start recognizing what the hell they have here in terms of topography and wildlife. This is the closest east-coast verson of Oregon as your gonna get. Top that off with the history and character of the homes and buildings, and there's no reason in hell this place should be in the rut it's in now! Good God, this area should be celebrated and it should be a mecca for people who want a change from flat, cookie cutter living. Instead the people here just beotch and complain and say it sucks.NOW THAT'S what I hate about this area!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, many locals don't know what they've got here. I'm a native myself and I try really hard to point out the positive aspects of the city whenever I have a chance, so that maybe some of the negative people will take a hint.

But are you saying that people should be selling their homes for more? I suppose from the perspective of individual sellers that's a good idea, but on the whole I like that it's so affordable to buy a home here. It's part of what attracts some people from out of town. I would like to keep it that way, personally.

I don't think low home prices are holding the city back, although negative attitude certainly does.

• 2 weeks later...
This whole "comparing Pittsburgh to other cities" thing is just pointless. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pittsburgh, while flaws it does have, is such an independantly unique place that it can't be compared to anywhere. Here you can get a very decent home for 60-70k in a neighborhood that would only be seen as sucky by it's own residents.

A perfect example of this is Brownsville. Most of us locals would say "who the hell would wanna live in Brownsville?" Well, I gotta say I took a drive through there while I was working last week...on a sunny day...and I can honestly say that that town would be very appealing to me...If I was from somewhere else!

I think everyone in our area is selling ourselves short when we list our homes for way less than what someone from say...California would be willing to pay for it at the drop of a hat.

Who's to blame for this? Realitors? Appraisers? I don't know enough about real estate to offer an answer to that one. I do know this though: It can't be the lack of jobs or young people. Just look at Florida for the love of God! No Jobs (unless you wanna make enough to live in a cardboard box) and basically the same if not worse elderly population as Pittsburgh...Only reversed. and look at housing costs there!!!It's time people around here start recognizing what the hell they have here in terms of topography and wildlife. This is the closest east-coast verson of Oregon as your gonna get. Top that off with the history and character of the homes and buildings, and there's no reason in hell this place should be in the rut it's in now! Good God, this area should be celebrated and it should be a mecca for people who want a change from flat, cookie cutter living. Instead the people here just beotch and complain and say it sucks.NOW THAT'S what I hate about this area!

Archived