Should Murfreesboro attempt to get the Sounds

Predsfan

According to WSMV's website, the proposed stadium for the Sounds will not be built (atleast not by the current contractor). The article states that Franklin has invited the team to play in there town. What do you think about Murfreesboro trying to get the team. Other cities similar in size have minor leage teams (Jackson, Sevierville, Chattanooga). OK, Chattanooga is quite a bit larger but still. Would this help the city or just add more problems for a city that may be growing to fast as it is.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, you read my mind. Murfreesboro already has a minor league basketball team, the Musians, as well as a strong and growing sports program at MTSU. With the new stadium being built for MTSU baseball, I don't think it would make sense. While it may be true that Murfreesboro has the population and amenities to support a minor league baseball team, Franklin is closer and considered Nashville's right arm, so it just makes more sense to put it there. I could see Franklin snatching up this proposal in a heartbeat with their progressive leadership and I do think the putting the stadium there would be a huge success!

P.S. - If you really want to know, I think Murfreesboro should save up its quarters for a theme park...it's about time.

Edited by Justiceham

Many here can probably guess my position on this, but I don't want to see Murfreesboro spend a single dollar of its citizens' tax money on a sports venue or any other similar project. If there's a market for a minor league team in Murfreesboro, then the team owners and their developers will find a way to build it. I would be outraged if my hard-earned money were stolen from me by the city to be handed over to a wealthy team owner or developer.

I think Murfreesboro residents should focus their energy on supporting the teams they have (MTSU). I mean really, it you were the owner of a team would you really want to move to a city where the college teams that have been winning in their own conference only have a tiny fan base?

P.S.- not trying to bash the 'boro here, just making an observation. trust me, i would love nothing more than to see Floyd Stadium and the Murphee Center at capacity on a regular basis!

^ No offense taken! MTSU has some fantastic sports to offer. I've only been to the football games, but they are a ton of fun! I'm sure the basketball and baseball games are enjoyable as well, not to mention the other sports MTSU has to offer. I wouldn't mind seeing some high school football locally at some point in the future. It sounds like there are some good teams around here.

You folks are going to have to come check our new baseball stadium next season.

I have spoken with a guy who has seen the blueprints and he says they are even better than the artist rendering shown here .....

530-stadiumoutside.jpg

530-stadiumabove.jpg

It is going to be a gem.

I agree that MT football games are fun.

Look for a new state of the art jumbotron for football this coming season.

At MT you seem to get more bang for your buck. The tailgating seen has really skyrocketed, especially in the student areas and over by the RV's and the world famous Hillbilly Hilton.

Wow, did MT finally replace that old scoreboard and put a real jumbotron in? I enjoy MT football games but I would like to see big conference teams come to Murfreesboro to play. I am looking forward to Virginia this year and definately Vanderbilt next year ( that will be fun ). As for baseball, I've only watched two games and while I enjoy them I seem to forget they exist. New stadium looks great though. I wish they would build it in the open field beside the honors college and build a parking garage where the current field is. This would allow for excellent parking for the football field, baseball field and for classes. Come to think of it, I graduated what do I care? The walk will do them good!

Thanks for posting those renderings, KAjunRaider! I don't think that I had seen that arial shot before. It looks like it's going to be a fantastic ballpark! Also, the jumbotron news is very welcome indeed. That's been my only real complaint about Floyd Stadium. It really made a big difference in the presentation of the game to get the feel for what a jumbotron would be like during the game at LP Field last season.

Speaking of MTSU football, my wife and I are planning to attend the annual Blue-White Spring Game this Saturday at 2 PM. Admission is free!

You folks are going to have to come check our new baseball stadium next season.

I have spoken with a guy who has seen the blueprints and he says they are even better than the artist rendering shown here .....

530-stadiumoutside.jpg

530-stadiumabove.jpg

It is going to be a gem.

I agree that MT football games are fun.

Look for a new state of the art jumbotron for football this coming season.

At MT you seem to get more bang for your buck. The tailgating seen has really skyrocketed, especially in the student areas and over by the RV's and the world famous Hillbilly Hilton.

Nice baseball stadium. I think going after the sounds is a bad idea.....I like the focus being on MTSU sports.