Hampton Roads Population

vdogg

Hampton Roads grows substantially, but still falls in rank

You'll find Hampton Roads a little lower than it used to be, but not for the reasons you'd expect.

First, the region has a slightly different name than it did during the 2000 census. Back then, it was called Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA-NC. Since then, the Census Bureau has switched the city names, giving Virginia Beach top billing because it's bigger.

So technically, this is no longer the Norfolk metropolitan area. Second, while Hampton Roads grew since 2000 - adding about 72,000 people - other metro areas grew a lot faster.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, the pilot sure seems to be playing up the population loss/stagnation angle quite a bit lately. I guess they were running out of other negative things to write about. :lol: 2010 can't get here soon enough, these estimates are almost always off for our region.

Just wait until the next survey... (hide comment)

The results will show the now Va Beach-Norfolk metro area to be shrinking even more. The way these property taxes are shooting up, these gangs are shooting up and unemployment is, well, shooting up I foresee this region sliding even further down. No metro area is perfect per say but there has to be a balance to the point where people want to be attracted to a region to want to live. Most of Hampton Roads is military affiliated anyway and are here on orders. The region is sleepy and sluggish and probably best suited for retirees that appreciate its geographical ameneties. Regional cooperation? You probably have a better chance of seeing Yeti or the Loch Ness Monster. Sensible city council members? Show me and I'll show you a Unicorn I have stowed away in my backyard.

A few amenities I can think of: the beach (for some), urban living (in some areas), about halfway down the coast in proximity to DC, NY, Miami, etc, mild weather. More bang for your buck for northerners who move here to retire. To attract more people we need better paying jobs (which will lead to a less transient area which in mho is a better thing), maybe more sports (the jury is out last I heard if there is actually a gain monetary wise but who knows?).

:rofl:

Sadly, this guy has a slight point. What are the amenities that truly attract people, especially young people, to this area? What can we do to increase our areas attractiveness to outsiders?

• 3 weeks later...
Basically, I wanted to take my truck, with it's video screen, use an EVDO connection to broadcast live video from the bar to the truck via the internet, and roll around advertising their venue in front of all of the people at the oceanfront, and Granby street.

I have to give you serious commendations, Tel, that was a pretty good peice (a little verbose, but really, I have no room to talk). :thumbsup:

I think that you're right on one thing in particular -- that there is an older, more-conservative lean to this area, which is not by any means a bad thing (diversity of thought and life is a godsend in cities), but it is a bit stifling to the younger folk, especially college-aged. A lot of my friends transfer out of ODU or CNU to escape this region because they see it as boring and too-conservative, and I have to say I kind of agree in some ways. Now that I'm really established at CNU, with good grades, a good job, and great great friends, I do not see myself leaving (but that remains to be seen...)... but I really, truly wanted to get the hell out of this area for awhile. I love this region, the Peninsula and Southside alike, but I don't like the redneck, backwards social opinions of some, nor do I like the aversion to diversity and globalism, which (I'm sorry to say) makes no f***ing sense because we're a major international port??? I just get frustrated with this area and its opinions of youth and virtually anything that's perceived as "different"... ( / rant )

That was horribly inarticulate, but exams are killing my brain :lol: You get the idea.

• 1 month later...

Hampton Roads to see surge in population, but fewer jobs.

Whaley forecast that Hampton Roads' population, which stood at 1.57 million in 2000, will grow by about a third, to 2.08 million, by 2034. Part of this increase will come from an influx of retirees from other states, he said.

But employment growth in the region will not keep pace with the rise in population, he predicted. The number of jobholders in Hampton Roads, slightly more than 963,200 in 2000, will increase only 27 percent, to 1.22 million, by 2034, he said. The forecast, which relied on a computer model of the region, drew on data from the Census Bureau and Bureau of Labor Statistics. Whaley said he used the target year 2034 at the request of the commission's transportation planners.

Archived