Norfolk Courts Complex Progress

vdogg

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember an article in the Pilot i believe about a new city hall with sweeping views of the Elizabeth River so I hope that this project will someday become a reality. Also, I remember another article during the same timeframe talk about the possibility of a tower being built above one of the newer parking garages near St. Paul and City Hall ave. Does anyone remember this?

I remember an article in the Pilot i believe about a new city hall with sweeping views of the Elizabeth River so I hope that this project will someday become a reality. Also, I remember another article during the same timeframe talk about the possibility of a tower being built above one of the newer parking garages near St. Paul and City Hall ave. Does anyone remember this?

Yes, that's the city hall plan I was referring to above. I want to say that the article came out in 2004, or maybe it came out earlier and I just saw it in 2004. I do remember this though (specifically what you said about city hall).

The synder lot....

ONe of many proposed projects that never seen the light of day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Steel is rising up to about 3 levels already. Would have taken a picture but it was dark.

Actually it would be nice to see one of you guys to post a nice photo tour of Norfolk and downtown Virginia Beach, it has been a while since I have seen a good photo thread on this site of either of those two downtowns.

• 2 weeks later...

Just this one building and frankly this little bit of construction makes St. Paul's feel like a much more urban street. This is a great building in a perfect location. It really will spruce up the whole government area.

Speaking of the building, the renderings on site are the picture of the court complex without the glass phere on top, however, the rendering on the norfolk website has the glass sphere. Does anyone know which is actually going to be built?

• 2 weeks later...

301481_10101795383623758_10241961_n.jpg

Norfolk Courts Complex being built (September 20, 2012) @ 400mm

393711_10101795383783438_761857586_n.jpg

Norfolk Courts Complex being built (September 20, 2012) @ 300mm

401046_10101795383818368_651398634_n.jpg

Norfolk Courts Complex being built (September 20, 2012) @ 200mm

185317_10101795383923158_597738860_n.jpg

Norfolk Courts Complex being built (September 20, 2012) @ 100mm

383462_10101795384002998_621737986_n.jpg

Norfolk Courts Complex emerging into the skyline (September 20, 2012)

• 1 month later...

I don't have a pictoral update but I will say that driving by it every day, it is much taller than I thought it would be and they are definitely shaping the dome on top I was hoping for. If you recall, there were two versions floated around, one with a completely flat top and one with the dome. It looks like the dome won out!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure it is a good sized building, but for some reason it always feels so small in photos. Good to see they are coming along with it.

It's a decent height (for DT Norfolk) but its real affect is the street presence it brings to St. Pauls. It is going to be massive looking and already has given that area significant density with its bare bones.

• 1 month later...
This building has a far greater street presence than i imagined it would. Now if we can just get something on the other side of the street.
The street presence is the best part of this project, though I do appreciate the archirecture as well. It is very DC and I hope it is the direction of civic buildings in the future for Norfolk. I agree, would love to see the Snyder lot built up. If it has to be a low rise office building I would be ok with it for the density, but the city has it zoned for high rise so well probably be waiting for a while. There is also plans to build out the rest of the old courthouses as well.

Archived