Norfolk Courts Complex Progress

vdogg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now if they can only take care of the City Hall building.  That thing is an eye soar.

I don't mind the City Hall building, but a new skin would be good.  Actually it would be cool to see the City Hall take on a "green redevelopment" and make the building more energy efficient.  That is usually a great way to make those old mid century buildings really pop.

I don't mind the City Hall building, but a new skin would be good.  Actually it would be cool to see the City Hall take on a "green redevelopment" and make the building more energy efficient.  That is usually a great way to make those old mid century buildings really pop.

I agree a new skin and removing the antenna would go a long way to fixing that dreck of an office building.  That being said, I would be in full support of redesign by wreckingball

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So would they eventually tear down the juveninile building too?

No, If I'm not mistaken, J&D courts only take up a portion of the building. The rest is occupied by the city schools. I will assume that the schools will take the whole building one the courts leave.

• 3 weeks later...

The new courthouse is definately a great addition to downtown! It looks so much more judicial that what it's replacing.

I think that a new city hall should be build some years down the road. Maybe where the current J&D court building can be replaced with a new BIGGER & taller city hall!! Then City Hall will be on City Have Avenue again! :)

Still looks like a jail, but I like the addition to DT.

As far as the Synder lot that is across the street, I don't know.  It was plans years ago, a rendering and everything but like most things in Norfolk, it didn't go through.  I wonder what would go there now?  Whatever it is, I would assume it would have to be huge and self containing as it relates to st.pauls st. and lrt.  It would b enice to bring some activity on that lot...

It's looking great. I drive past it every morning, and can't wait until the project is complete in '15!

I do wonder how different Norfolk would look if they treated more projects as a priority like this one...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the pic. It really adds density to the area and a sence of civic class, something the old building was seriously lacking.

I am disappointed the dome was either scrapped or will barely be noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...

The juvenile and school building I believe belongs to a random lady, and the city has a long term lease on the building.

The building is cool, and is much larger than I originally imagined. Guess it has to be big enuff for judge egos.

Too bad it's more courts and lawyers and jails.

• 1 month later...

This building is a great addition to DT. I think that the design of it will not become dated like the buildings it is replacing. Quite often I drive by to see the progress. And it appears that it will have a central dome skylight!!!

This building is a great addition to DT. I think that the design of it will not become dated like the buildings it is replacing. Quite often I drive by to see the progress. And it appears that it will have a central dome skylight!!!

If they kept the dome, then this building will be spectacular!

• 3 weeks later...

This building looks really nice. I saw it Saturday on a quick drive-by on my way from Richmond to VA Beach. From the photos I thought that the building was in the middle of a parkinglot. I was happy to see that it is actually downtown covering a city block. Looks good from 264 too!

Now that Amtrak station on the other hand is a shame. WTF?

Archived