Norfolk Courts Complex Progress

vdogg

Article about new approved federal courthouse in Nashville, TN. Article states "safety concerns" for 20+ years. New federal courthouse went up not too long ago in Austin, TX. Would be nice to get a new one in Norfolk and especially in the area of the other new courts.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/article/20490909/finally-nashville-courthouse-gets-final-approval

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lammius said:

Wasn't the whole reason the GSA "politely purchased" the Granby Tower site years ago because they wanted to expand or build a new Fed courthouse in Norfolk?  

I believe so. But it would be nice if they could be nudged to build a new (i.e. safer and technologically upgraded) courthouse in the vicinity of all the other courts. Thus freeing up both the former Granby Tower site and the existing Fed Courthouse site.

13 hours ago, lammius said:

Wasn't the whole reason the GSA "politely purchased" the Granby Tower site years ago because they wanted to expand or build a new Fed courthouse in Norfolk?  

Yup, and they've sat on it for 10 years. They also want to close Granby street as part of this deal. <_<

I don't like that idea of closing Granby, I never have. I hope that both the city and out state & congressional delegation will sway the GSA to reconsider.

Thinking about it, why doesn't the GSA redevelop the Post office property on Church street. It would be a better land use for that huge parcel of property.

Makes sense considering it no longer processes regional mail anyway. (Was moved to Richmond)

Isn't it possible for the city to negotiate with the feds about the tower option for the federal courthouse?

Realign Granby a little further from the building and then reduce a lane from the Monticello side.

Having a greater buffer around federal building is a result of Oklahoma City bombing, right?

I would rather have Granby and Monticello realigned than either of them closed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From what I understand there are no plans to renovate or tear down that building once this phase of the courts are complete the juvenile courts will move into it from the bottom floors of the school board building and the school board will renovate those floors and take them over. 

4 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

From what I understand there are no plans to renovate or tear down that building once this phase of the courts are complete the juvenile courts will move into it from the bottom floors of the school board building and the school board will renovate those floors and take them over. 

That is a shame, it was such an awful building in the late 90s, I can only imagine how bad of shape it is in today.

6 hours ago, urbanlife said:

That is a shame, it was such an awful building in the late 90s, I can only imagine how bad of shape it is in today.

LOL, That building was bad in 1979 when my parents were fighting for custody. I got stuck in the elevator and the fire dept. had to get me out.

On 5/23/2016 at 5:06 AM, lil-bear said:

LOL, That building was bad in 1979 when my parents were fighting for custody. I got stuck in the elevator and the fire dept. had to get me out.

I believe it, I remember a number of times running up the stairs to the 10-11th floor or something like that because the elevators were too questionable to ride it. That was not the building I wanted to die in due to an elevator failing. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • vdogg unpinned this topic

Archived