Norfolk Courts Complex Progress

vdogg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, on that I agree. I know this Amtrak run along the East Coast is still an experimental thing, but I really don't get why the station is as tiny as it is. For all the big city aspirations Norfolk has, they really do some small town stuff like this that looks silly. Not saying it should be Union Station or Grand Central, but it could be a little larger than what it is IMO...

The plan for the rail station is to expand it eventually.  The intent is to start small and see what the ridership looks like and make sure Norfolk is able to hold the Amtrak line (not a definite) rather than sink a ton of money into it and then have the route pulled by Amtrak due to low ridership.  I think that's a pretty good way of going about it.

The plan for the rail station is to expand it eventually.  The intent is to start small and see what the ridership looks like and make sure Norfolk is able to hold the Amtrak line (not a definite) rather than sink a ton of money into it and then have the route pulled by Amtrak due to low ridership.  I think that's a pretty good way of going about it.

Gotcha. In that case, that makes much more sense. So far, it's looking pretty good. Might have to ride to DC or even NY soon...

The location is what makes this station look so small. That's a big parkinglot, ballpark and towering interstate. Makes the small station look miniature. Looks like salilite parking at an airport. Landscaping can help ground it I guess...

But that courts building! It is a beauty.

I guess this is getting off topic but there is a series of bad decisions going on with the transportation related developments in Norfolk.  That "Amtrack Station" should have been a partnership between HRT and Amtrack for a bus/train dealio.  Frustrating...

Drove past the complex tonight. The shell of the dome that will go atop the building is resting on the ground at the present. This is shaping up to be one of the better pieces of architecture this area has seen in some time!

The dome is the best part of the project.  

Here are some great renderings for how well it will look.  http://www.fentressarchitects.com/portfolio/civic-courts/norfolk-courts/

Drove past the complex tonight. The shell of the dome that will go atop the building is resting on the ground at the present. This is shaping up to be one of the better pieces of architecture this area has seen in some time!

Yes! They kept the dome. I was worried that had been scrapped. Should give the building an extra little height boost.

Does anyone think that the city will eventually build a new city hall? If so, how tall would you imagine it would be?

There was talk of it some time ago, but nothing ever came to fruition. Depending on location, I don't think 20-25 floors would be out of the question.

There was talk of it some time ago, but nothing ever came to fruition. Depending on location, I don't think 20-25 floors would be out of the question.

The only way I see 20-25 stores happening is if they consolidated some resources into one building. I do not see that happening because of cost, but wasn't it a second part to this courts project? if so, what are the plans for t hat? any pics?

The only way I see 20-25 stores happening is if they consolidated some resources into one building. I do not see that happening because of cost, but wasn't it a second part to this courts project? if so, what are the plans for t hat? any pics?

No, the second phase of the courts complex is just for the courts themselves. City Hall expansion was never included as part of this, I just remember it being talked about some years ago. The second part of the courts complex is just going to be an attached wing, and they're going to demolish the existing courts.

No, the second phase of the courts complex is just for the courts themselves. City Hall expansion was never included as part of this, I just remember it being talked about some years ago. The second part of the courts complex is just going an attached wing, and they're going to demolish the existing courts.

Isn't there also a plaza planned across the lightrail tracks?

• 1 month later...

Went by the court for the first time two nights ago (visiting 757, live in C-ville now) and what amazes me is just how BIG it is, the renderings just dont show you the scale of how tall the court building is, for some reason thought it was much shorter. Would have taken pictures, but it was 10 at night and in a car = bad picture anyhow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived