Detroit School Board Meeting

WOT

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that Joyce Hayes-Giles is planning to press charges. For being hit with a grape. That's such a Detroit city government thing to do.

I'm not saying the heckler was justified in throwing things at board members and being disruptive, but the histrionics are getting old.

Check this out. Even great hyperbole. Now the women has been labeled a "social terrorist" by the president of the Detroit Board of Education:

School board president calls grape thrower a 'social terrorist'

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NEWS01/70406028

Everything in Michigan, these days, seems to be about how can out crazy and over-dramatize the next person. OMG! She threw what was obviously, almost upon immediate inspection,...grapes. This buzzword reminds me of how whenever you come across someone heavy-handed they are almost always compared to the Third Reich (i.e. Hitler, Nazi).

I love that Joyce Hayes-Giles is planning to press charges. For being hit with a grape. That's such a Detroit city government thing to do.

I'm not saying the heckler was justified in throwing things at board members and being disruptive, but the histrionics are getting old.

Jason, you're reading way too much into this, and I take offense to you trying to paint this as a cultural thing. I've seen many council meetings in my own city far more disorderly than this, and even heard of fight breaking out at Warren city council meetings. You need to chalk this up to a very immature act, one that could happen almost everywhere, instead of trying to put this off as a cultural issue and paiting people with huge brush strokes. Whether you realize it or not, what you're essentially spouting is the typical "Black people just don't know how to behave" speech, and I don't appreciate it. It looks as if that intercultural sensitivity training session didn't take, very well, to you.

Detroit needs to close far more schools than it is planning and it needs to disregard the parents who don't want to see their neighborhood school closed. Detroit isn't as dense as it used to be and now Detroit school kids are going to have to start doing what many suburban school kids already do: take the bus!

It's silly that people complain about high taxes and then complain when the city cuts spending.

The opinions of those parents opposing school closures most definitely needs to be taken into consideration. They are the ones paying for the schools, and it's silly to think that the board has gotten every school closure right. Disregarding taxpayers is terribly public policy. A public servent's job is to take all opinions and all hard facts into consideration. I think parents in areas of the city with no school close by have every reason to be disappointed and angry, and that they have every right to voice that opinion.

I'm all for a downsizing, and in full support of the school board doing what they have to do just to keep the district afloat, as their is no other way to make this district work, but, I also know that the public's opinion shouldn't be swept under the rug and unimportant and disregarded. I feel their pain just as much as I do with a school board having to make very difficult decisions. This isn't some one-sided argument, with only one side having a valid opinion and a voice. I'm not supporting the actions of the CEOC leader, I think that her grape throwing incident was more than stupid, but parents have every right to be disappointed, if even their anger misguided.

it's not just black people who dont know how to behave as the rest of your post stated. there is a cultural mindset in this entire area that needs to be changed and it doesn't even have to do with obnoxious behaviour at city meetings. at the same time one of the things that I learned at the intercultural sensetivity meeting is that you cannot ignore cultural issues and if you run from them they will make your life much harder. These are things that people have a very hard time dealing with, but because everyone comes from differenent backgrounds they must learn to work together. the problem is that, in reality the minority must bend to the majority, this is a fact of life whether we like it or not. I don't really want to talk about this anymore. I wasn't trying to make any sort of racist comments and will drop it. I'm sorry that I brought it up.

I think it is absolutely appropriate. if for no other reason than to send a message that you must conduct yourself in a civil way during meetings. Throwing grapes during a meeting is one of the most childish things I have ever heard of. it may be expected from a preschooler but this is a grown woman who should have some respect for herself and the school board officials.

Archived