Columbia Area Population Statistics

CorgiMatt

Hey, Krazeeboi, here's an article from this morning's "The State" on the growth of South Carolina's MSA's from 2000 through 2006. They focus mainly on rate of growth, but they also give the actual numbers (estimates). The Columbia MSA gained the most people with the Charleston-N. Charleston MSA coming in second. Myrtle Beach grew the fastest, but it only gained 40,451 to Columbia's 54,667. Charleston-N. Charleston gained 52,663. Personally I don't care how fast a place is growing as much as I do how many people are moving there.

http://www.thestate.com/101/story/27395.html

Also, Richland County beat Lexington County 26,834 to 23,263. The tide has turned.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Richland and Lexington's numbers show that there is not a strong preference towards one county or the other. The growth is almost equal in terms of raw numbers. This just shows that Columbia as a whole is growing consistantly, and not in one direction.

The census county estimates have been out for some time now; why are newspapers just getting around to reporting these figures?

It seems as though Columbia is still holding its own. However, I am most impressed by Myrtle Beach's growth, whose growth rates are comparable to those of the Big Three (it almost added as many people as the Greenville MSA from 2000-2006).

Don't discount Columbia from continued and increased growth. They will continue to post large gains in population for the foreseeable future. A lot of the rural migration throughout SC is ending up in the Columbia suburbs.

That is very true, whenever I talk to former rural dwellers in SC they almost invariably ended up living in Columbia. Charleston seems to be the runner-up as far as rural to urban migration goes in this state.

One thing to remember, however, is that alot of homes purchased in Charleston are simply vacation homes and not full time residences.

True and that's the bane of downtown Charleston and the islands. This destroys the sense of community and neighborhood, robs the economy of the city and empties the streets of life.

True and that's the bane of downtown Charleston and the islands. This destroys the sense of community and neighborhood, robs the economy of the city and empties the streets of life.

Except for tourists, including Columbians. Like I've always said, the best thing about Charleston is that it's only two hours from Columbia.

Except for tourists, including Columbians. Like I've always said, the best thing about Charleston is that it's only two hours from Columbia.

I agree, any city that can attract money and investments from the outside has a lot to be thankful for.

2 hours? it takes me 1 1/2 and thats from NE columbia....from west columbia/irmo it should be only an hour....how slow are you driving lol

One thing to remember, however, is that alot of homes purchased in Charleston are simply vacation homes and not full time residences.

That's only true on some of the islands and to some extent in the "south of Broad" area, but not of the metro area as a whole. Most of the new homes are occupied full time. One indication that Charleston is a business city is that half of the air travelers are business people, this at the states busiest airport (a major reason AirTran decided to start service here). The big commercial and industrial outfits locating here would not do so if the area was made up of "vacationers". The area has

That's only true on some of the islands and to some extent in the "south of Broad" area, but not of the metro area as a whole. Most of the new homes are occupied full time. One indication that Charleston is a business city is that half of the air travelers are business people, this at the states busiest airport (a major reason AirTran decided to start service here). The big commercial and industrial outfits locating here would not do so if the area was made up of "vacationers". The area has

2 hours? it takes me 1 1/2 and thats from NE columbia....from west columbia/irmo it should be only an hour....how slow are you driving lol

Papa always said it was 60 miles to Columbia and 60 miles to Charleston from our front porch. That's what my grandmother always told us, and it takes me exactly one hour and 20 minutes to get to her house in southern Orangeburg County (5 miles from the Bowman-Vance exit) from my house in Columbia off of Harrison Road. I drive 79 miles per hour all the way down I-26. Actually it takes me a little longer than 2 hours to get to Charleston, speedster.

Papa always said it was 60 miles to Columbia and 60 miles to Charleston from our front porch. That's what my grandmother always told us, and it takes me exactly one hour and 20 minutes to get to her house in southern Orangeburg County (5 miles from the Bowman-Vance exit) from my house in Columbia off of Harrison Road. I drive 79 miles per hour all the way down I-26. Actually it takes me a little longer than 2 hours to get to Charleston, speedster.

Well, that means your father basically said it was 120 from Columbia to Charleston? I'm pretty sure its only 105 miles from one to the other....

Archived