DTE pulls the plug on Book Tower

lelandpalmer

Or maybe they're so confident in their plans that they don't care about their current tenants. :lol:

I suppose if the entire building was really renovated, the space might be too expensive for the current tenants anyway. I don't really know how this kind of stuff works.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fire escape on the outside is actually no longer vaild means of egress from the building. There's an interior stairwell that is intended for emergency use. Correct if I'm wrong, but there's only 1, and that could be a problem if this tower goes residential.

The fire escape on the outside is actually no longer vaild means of egress from the building. There's an interior stairwell that is intended for emergency use. Correct if I'm wrong, but there's only 1, and that could be a problem if this tower goes residential.

Wolverine's right. The external fire escape doesn't exactly meet code anymore as a means of egress from a building in this country. No matter the use, the building needs two fire rated means of egress. In the Book, they would likely remove two of the six elevators and put in a second internal egress stair. That's what they did in the Kales Building, and it seemed to work out well. Converting the Book to residential would mean that fewer elevators would be required, and even if the entire building were left as office space, the building could still easily get by with only 4 functioning elevators. Heck, it somehow manages with one right now!

Wolverine, the plans for the Detroit Life Building call for the retention of the existing fire escape as a second means of egress from the building. Did KDG somehow find a loophole in the building code to get away with that? I'm no building code expert, obviously, but I'm curious as to the reasoning behind their decision.

• 1 month later...

While eating lunch and watching construction of the BC on Washington Blvd today, I couldnt help but notice the lovely tree growing from the roof of the Book Building. Further observation revealed a handful of boarded up and broken windows. Is this building now abandoned? Is the tower/building going to be addressed at some point soon? I fear for the already struggling retail and businesses that call the book home.

• 4 months later...

Archived