WOW! (Hispanics and immigrants in NWA, part II)

Just to clarify any "official" rules (not that they have been broken or not broken). Here are some forum rules somewhat relevant to content that is posted:

Also, the following is from the Terms of Use:

I'm not going to this length because of the recent post on just this forum, but knowing that what Mark had said may have come from reading the many posts on other topics recently.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I have avoided posting here due to potentially inflammatory issues, I do feel that they haven't violated anything as of yet. They're simply discussing what is, in many cases, unfortunately, a common occurance in metro areas or industrial cities. The same thing that seems to be happening in Springdale is exactly what happened when I lived in Ottumwa, IA, and it happens. Whether it's politically correct to discuss it, I don't know, but I don't feel that this thread looks like the posters at this forum are racist, or at least, I haven't seen it.

Is this really the forum where we need to discuss stuff like this? I, for one, will steer clear of these kinds of topics, especially in this kind of environment. Let's make sure we don't look like we aren't friendly to anyone here of any sex, race, religious background, nationality, or anything else. At least that's my vote. I hate to see arguments amongst you all as well. Just seems unnecessary to me.

Mark

Is this really the forum where we need to discuss stuff like this? I, for one, will steer clear of these kinds of topics, especially in this kind of environment. Let's make sure we don't look like we aren't friendly to anyone here of any sex, race, religious background, nationality, or anything else. At least that's my vote. I hate to see arguments amongst you all as well. Just seems unnecessary to me.

Mark

I guess since this topic has not been closed for being a discussion about racial issues in NWA that means we are allowed to continue discussing illegal immigration in NWA. What it has to do with urban development, I have no idea, but since it's still here it's an open door for discussions about racial issues. My advice to anyone offended by these discussions should "steer clear of these kinds of topics", meaning don't post in them either, OR get a forum admin to have the topic removed.

Mark

I guess since this topic has not been closed for being a discussion about racial issues in NWA that means we are allowed to continue discussing illegal immigration in NWA. What it has to do with urban development, I have no idea, but since it's still here it's an open door for discussions about racial issues. My advice to anyone offended by these discussions should "steer clear of these kinds of topics", meaning don't post in them either, OR get a forum admin to have the topic removed.

I think it is to some degree affecting development patterns in NWA, particular certain sections of Rogers and Springdale, the latter most true along US 71/Thompson Road. That's a pretty high profile area of Springdale traditionally.

It's the same reason parts of LR are facing some decay because of demographic shifts, such as the once prime University and Asher area that UALR is hoping to redevelop. Going back in time, it's the reason the old Southwest Mall failed and ended up later being redeveloped as the state police HQs.

It's nothing unique to NWA, really. The trick is to keep the cities from segregating and keep areas from stagnating and become uniracial.

The most important thing linking racial flight and development, though, is flight generally pushes development further out and leaves a decaying core, something that most people on UP hate to see and want to prevent at all costs.

Illegal immigrant labor is just a government subsidy to big businesses needing cheap labor.

We fit the bill for their healthcare, as it cannot be refused. You can't bill a fake i.d.

Hospitals have closed all over California because of this.

If they have anchor babies, those babies are U.S. citizens and the whole family qualifies for WIC and welfare on their behalf.

I KNOW that being an illegally employed Mexican is better than being a legally employed American with a low income who might not qualify for welfare.

The illegals get it all. Wages, AND government assistance because their children qualify, and their incomes are not traceable.

Our government practices deficit spending so who knows what the present and future tax burden of these people is?

It is all just to pad the pockets of the wealthy and screw the middle and lower class Americans.

And in turn, Americans get to send their children to schools overrun by Spanish speaking, unassimilated, America-hating Mexicans.

All so the big companies can pay their CEOs a few dollars more.

If you think its to keep costs of goods low, you're smoking crack.

As long as you're not too offensive about it. I think if the owner thinks it could boost business he/she might take it the right way. Unless it's one of those underground Hip Hop clubs... then the owner might just whip out a nine and shoot you. "UMOB" does sound underground to me. :lol:

I agree its very sad...we need to get all the illegal mexicans and send everyone of them back to where they came from...I'm afraid that having all of the illegal mexicans here with no work is really starting to hurt our region a lot. They come here thinking they are going to have a better life, but once they get here and can't get a job because they are illegal they go and do what they have to survive and a lot of times that means hurting other people.

Honestly, views like this are why Arkansas has such a bad image right now. I know illegal immigration is bad but saying we should just ship them back to Mexico is pretty inhumane. These are people and should not be treated like they are a blight upon our land. If I was in their position, more than likely, I would have done the exact same thing, and so would many Americans.

We are all in this together, finding a humane/caring solution to illegal immigration is the key.

Honestly, views like this are why Arkansas has such a bad image right now. I know illegal immigration is bad but saying we should just ship them back to Mexico is pretty inhumane. These are people and should not be treated like they are a blight upon our land. If I was in their position, more than likely, I would have done the exact same thing, and so would many Americans.

We are all in this together, finding a humane/caring solution to illegal immigration is the key.

One of the biggest problems with illegals is that once here they immediately start breeding which then makes it hard to just deport them. When illegals get here they need a place to live (to start their breeding process) and that's where their "legal" friends and relatives come in. A law (HR 4437) that would have punished people that aid illegals was thrown away by the Senate. The government is leaning toward stiffer control of the borders to control illegal immigration. It's not good enough. There are over 11 million illegals in the US and by treating them too "humanely" will only encourage another 11 million to cross the border. "Stiffer" border control doesn't matter, many will find a way in. Those that don't will most likely perish in the desert when turned away. Now how humane is that? Wouldn't it be better to let them come in, give them medical attention and food, then round them up and send them packing, along with those people that aided them?

Are you honestly going to stereotype me as a sheltered white liberal college student?

One of my friend's and his family were illegal aliens. He was with us all throughout high school, and because he went to visit a dying relative back home he isn't able to get back to his family now in the US. I myself am the offspring of a Middle Eastern immigrant from Saudi Arabia who overstayed his student visa until he married a naturalized American citizen so that he could stay here.

I've also seen the flip side of this when I volunteered in Springdale's ER department. The place is overrun with illegal immigrants, and the hospital cannot simply turn them away obviously so Northwest eats the costs. Everyday I would sit at the desk and encounter many people who didn't know a word of english, so their kids who were being assimilated in our public school system would be interpreters for us.

Some people think it hurts our economy, but I've seen plenty of economists who say the exact opposite. It is a major problem I agree, but the exact ramifications of it on the US economy on the whole are less clear than most would have you think.

My point is, which I should have made clearer, that these people are already here and simply shipping them back to mexico would break up families and would be a very inhumane way to handle things. I'm all for beefing up immigration security and legislation, but I'm also not for splitting up families and deporting Mexican families that have been established here for several years. I'm against illegal immigration, but that does not necessarily mean that I'm against the people involved. That sounds kind of contradictory, but I can relate to them on human level as I know all they wanted was a better life which is all anyone wants.

When I hear people saying we should just ship them back to Mexico it strikes me as cold and callous and terms me immediately off. I'm not saying they are wrong in expressing their angst with all the illegal immigration, but just that I wish people would have more of a heart for the people involved.

I often find that the people who decry illegal immigration the most are the ones who know relatively little about it and are simply using the popular anti-*illegal*immigration rhetoric as a means to justify their racism and/or xenophobia of a growing minority group in our country. I've seen the exact same thing with gay marriage where social conservates say it will break down the instituition of marriage and family values while in reality they are just using this as a means to justify their dislike of the homosexual population.

I'm linking two articles by reputable professors at top universities that are in regard to hispanics and crime. The first article is a study that shows hispanics have less of a propensity towards violence than whites or blacks. The second article, which you can only read the abstract of because you probably don't have a subscription to the database it's in, cites that their studies found Mexican's actually are involved in crime less than naturalized citizens. Very interesting stuff...

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/soc/faculty/sam...T_OpenDoors.pdf

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0037-7791...=LARGE#abstract

Archived