Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest donaltopablo

SunTrust Plaza - Atlanta (north DT)

Guest donaltopablo

This is personally one of my favorite buildings in Atlanta. Definitely a lot of character to it. Not only in the building itself, but the attention to detail and styling in the lobby and the grounds. It has fountains around it.

Most common criticism of John Portman: Lack of ground level retail in most of his designs and projects. This building is a perfect example of zero ground level retail.

suntrust_plaza01.jpg

suntrust_plaza02.jpg

suntrust_plaza03.jpg

suntrust_plaza04.jpg

suntrust_plaza05.jpg

All of Portman's trademark signs - chrome, sculptural forms, water, space. He's a great modern architect IMO. Not my very favourite but I can appreciate his works.

...and good!! His practice is smart to chose not to have tacky retail flanking the base.

It is general knowledge that when a highrise has retail on the lower level, it relates to the street much better and creates more street life. If you just have an entrance to the lobby, you will only have residents going in and out of the building, whereas when you have retail, people from elsewhere are given a reason to walk along the street.

Good point! Downtowns need ground retail to thrive. Places to work and play are needed, not just to work. Multi-function buildings are better anyway.