Richmond Area Population Growth

wrldcoupe4

Richmond Metropolitan Area adds over 97,000 residents between 2000-2006

The article above is actually a list of the top 100 MSA's. The Richmond area has grown by nearly 9% adding almost 100,000 residents from 2000 through 2006. It is now the 43rd largest MSA with an estimated population in 2006 of 1,194,008.

Thoughts? Ideas on how we handle growth in the future? etc etc

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for posting this! I have been looking for this information for at least two weeks after the new census numbers came out. I hope this growth starts to help Richmond grow out of it's provincial mindset. (I have to say that this seems to be getting better already).

The lower fees at the airport should just fuel more growth I would think. Can we please start to see a bigger focus on downtown Richmond as a place to work and live?

A very interesting and up-to-date compilation of estimated populations. If I recall correctly, Richmond as far as TV markets go, wasn't even in the top 50 about a decade ago. Now, since adjustments to statistical areas, it ranks #43 with an 8.8% increase over year 2000.

I notice growth every time I visit. The area has a very good road system compared to many Metros with minimal traffic delays. RIC continues to increase passenger loads at double digits annually and there is an unemployment rate of less than 3%, though I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

Soon, there may be three or more new cranes dotted across the downtown landscape, and entertainment venues are expanding despite the obsessive opposition of some naysayers.

Richmond is enjoying good health, IMO.

According to Jim Dunn (over at the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce), Richmond's economy is the healthiest it's been in decades. This is undoubtedly a factor in our healthy growth rate.

We need to do as much as possible to attract young people to the area. Also, areas perceived as being open to diversity (sexual orientation, race, economic, etc etc) will be better able to attract these young professionals, as best explained by Richard Florida's writings on the creative class.

With regards to downtown Richmond, the population grew something like 67% between 2000 and 2005. There are now nearly or more than 6500 people living downtown, and that number continues to grow. There is an obvious renewed interest in it becoming a better place to work as well. Two big examples of that are Philip Morris' new R&D center which will bring 500 high paying jobs downtown and Meadwestvaco's Corporate HQ which will add up to another 1000. Being downtown, even with everything that still needs to be done, you get a real sense of forward motion and change... for the better. The biggest thing downtown needs right now is more and better retail. Adding more shopping options would only help spur more corporate and residential growth. We just need to make sure that we don't try anymore "this project alone will save and transform downtown" ideas anymore. Organic is better.

Also, I think what we need to really help the City proper's population rebound is continued reductions in crime (the 80% reduction in homicides to date this year is nothing short of amazing) and IMPROVEMENT in the school system.

I wonder if downtown's population doesn't top 10,000 rather than the Chamber's estimate of 6,500? I think of downtown as stretching from Monroe Park to Libby Hill and from Leigh Street to the James. I'll bet a quarter at least 10,000 people call that area home.

Add in VCU dorm students and it pushes 15,000.

From Monroe Park east to 2nd Street and from I-95 to the river, there must be a couple of thousand living in high rises and over stores; the Slip accounts for another thousand or so, while the Bottom and Tobacco Row probably account for 3000. And that's not counting Jackson Ward and Church Hill which would add another 4000 or so residents.

I have read more than once that Richmond is the 3rd densest city in the southeast (after Atlanta and Miami) with 31,000 residents within a one-mile radius of Capitol Square.

Burt,

This document is from the City. It's in PDF format, but if you're patient for it to load, it offers information on downtown's population:

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/departments/c...ntownReport.pdf

Also, this link displays Venture Richmond's own statistics on downtown's population:

http://www.venturerichmond.com/mediacenter...ownprofile.html

This is great to see these numbers growing more and more and within this year hopefully the Metro will finally reach 1.2 Million People. Yeah Coupe I agree that we do need more retail downtown to spur other corporate and Residential growth. I think this city is on the verge to being on a whole new level. Just wait when we get to 2010 and beyond its gonna be amazing to what our city will have changed within the first decade. I mean just think of how far we have come within the first decade of the 21st century.

I know I was happy to hit 1 million. Now you all know, I am not crazy about people and definitely don't like crowded cities, but what the city itself needs, is a surge. We'll never have 1 million inside the city limits, but you all keep saying we need 500,000 people near downtown alone to get retail and such, well the city should concentrate on getting not just more people, but more rich and well-to-do, particularly in the east end of the city. We need to displace all the vermin in the east end with fine examples of humanity.

Hyperbole. But the excuse from the business world is, you need to have maybe 50,000 people all making $500,000 in order to get Circuit City to relocate its headquaters and flagship store to the place where it began. The metro area's growth is good, but the city really needs to dig in and attract as many people into its center so that it can gleam again, and if there are a lot of people (I don't know the exact number), who are loaded beyond a drug dealer's dream, we can reclaim our downtown. It's happening, but we need to try harder.

Downtown is the city's fastest growing segment.

They say that it takes at least 6 weeks of devoted workout to get "in shape".... it only takes 2-3 weeks to get back to where you were before you began. Things are getting better every day, it just takes time.

I have invited over some Raleighites to our board. They seem to be under the impression that our skyline is full of air (or hills). They believe there is more blight in Richmond [proper] than within their entire region (could be true, but come on!). Our airport is a failure. And...there was one more...Oh yes. Our population is the pits. I could have missed a few, but...

Be nice when they arrive!

I have invited over some Raleighites to our board. They seem to be under the impression that our skyline is full of air (or hills). They believe there is more blight in Richmond [proper] than within their entire region (could be true, but come on!). Our airport is a failure. And...there was one more...Oh yes. Our population is the pits. I could have missed a few, but...

I am not sure why this post was made as we expect everyone to be nice here. We are not in competition with each other and I would rather we stay away from posts that encourage something such as that.

Welcome to Raleigh browsers. I visit and enjoy their forum frequently.

But remember the four R's fellas -- "Readin', (w)Ritin' and the Road to Richmond". :)

While Raleigh is behind Richmond's ranking as the 43rd largest metro, we have to acknowledge that their statistical area no longer includes Durham.

While Raleigh is behind Richmond's ranking as the 43rd largest metro, we have to acknowledge that their statistical area no longer includes Durham.

That's weird. Why in the world wouldn't the statistcal area not include Durham anymore? Afterall, it is consider the "Raleigh/Durham area". That's worse than not including Petersburg in the Richmond Metro Area.

That's weird. Why in the world wouldn't the statistcal area not include Durham anymore? Afterall, it is consider the "Raleigh/Durham area". That's worse than not including Petersburg in the Richmond Metro Area.

It is weird, Eric, and I'm sure folks in Raleigh, if not Durham, are upset.

Im not from Raleigh, Im from Greensboro, but Richmond is one of my favorite areas in the South, if not the nation. I try to keep up with the area as much as possible. Its good to see that the Greater Richmond area is growing in both population and stature. Its definitely an underrated and under appreciated city/region in my opinion. I was suprised to see that the area is over the 1 million threshold. I havent visited the area in several years (far too long in my opinion), but I look forward to visiting the area, and seeing all the changes that have occurred since I last explored Richmond. :shades:

Im not from Raleigh, Im from Greensboro, but Richmond is one of my favorite areas in the South, if not the nation. I try to keep up with the area as much as possible. Its good to see that the Greater Richmond area is growing in both population and stature. Its definitely an underrated and under appreciated city/region in my opinion. I was suprised to see that the area is over the 1 million threshold. I havent visited the area in several years (far too long in my opinion), but I look forward to visiting the area, and seeing all the changes that have occurred since I last explored Richmond. :shades:

It's all been amazing to say the least.

There is a thread, Richmond in Pictures, it will not do "visiting" any justice, but there are some great snapshots of the chages that have occured/are occuring.

Greensboro, while having a long way to go, has truly made some strides to improve downtown-beginning with Elm Street. It has become very walkable (and enjoyable).

I had wine at Cafe Europa at the Cultural Arts Center and was quite impressed!

Thanks for stopping by.

Welcome to Raleigh visitors. I have a friend who lives in Cary and have hung out there a few times. There's a nice stretch of bars downtown but beyond that it's fairly unremarkable. I'm confident enough in our city's present and future that I don't feel the need to defend it anymore from outdated stereotypes. People who want to base their opinions on rumors and not experience (can we say far West Enders ;) ) are going to do so no matter what. I love Richmond and I hope they enjoy Raleigh just as much :good:

You guys in Carolina have liquor regulations that are not as stringent as those in Virginia. For instance, you have private clubs where a one-time fee is paid, isn't that right? In Virginia, there is a rule saying liquor cannot exceed 45% of gross sales, and I don't know of any private clubs that do not have to adhere to that regulation.

In other words, night-clubbing and bar-hopping is more fun in Carolina!

Now I know Burt's secret and why he likes JetBlue... from NY to NC to par-tay.

Speaking of growth, it seems like everyone is on 95, 64, and Broad St today... where I almost had an accident. Why am I working and everyone else is off?

You guys in Carolina have liquor regulations that are not as stringent as those in Virginia. For instance, you have private clubs where a one-time fee is paid, isn't that right? In Virginia, there is a rule saying liquor cannot exceed 45% of gross sales, and I don't know of any private clubs that do not have to adhere to that regulation.

In other words, night-clubbing and bar-hopping is more fun in Carolina!

By far! And no "2AM lights out" laws either.

It was tough, but friends and I had party-hopped until 6AM on several occasions in the recesses of Greensboro.

IDK if NC is all that less stringent..

A time ago... I managed restaurants in Charlotte and Boone...

we did have to hit certain percentages; i think 30 alcohol/70 food if you arent private...

Im surprised to hear you say you bar hopped in G'boro until 6am bc we had to stop serving by 2 am in Boone...

IDK if NC is all that less stringent..

A time ago... I managed restaurants in Charlotte and Boone...

we did have to hit certain percentages; i think 30 alcohol/70 food if you arent private...

Im surprised to hear you say you bar hopped in G'boro until 6am bc we had to stop serving by 2 am in Boone...

Did you have a private club license, ampm?

Archived