Richmond Area Population Growth

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK if NC is all that less stringent..

A time ago... I managed restaurants in Charlotte and Boone...

Small world...my brother also managed a restaurant in Boone, though I guess it was 15+ years ago at this point.

You guys in Carolina have liquor regulations that are not as stringent as those in Virginia. For instance, you have private clubs where a one-time fee is paid, isn't that right? In Virginia, there is a rule saying liquor cannot exceed 45% of gross sales, and I don't know of any private clubs that do not have to adhere to that regulation.

NC does have such private clubs, but the ones I know of went private strictly to skirt the ABC laws. The one with which I'm most familiar had one-night "memberships" for $5, which just so happened to be what their nightly cover was before going private. There are indeed similar clubs in Virginia, including at least 2 in Richmond (though 1 requires you to have an existing member with you on most nights) where no food is served at all and the booze goes on considerably later than 2.

BGW, at the 2 private clubs you mentioned, don't you have to bring your own liquor and place it in a locker? Then bartenders mix drinks from your own supply?

There used to be a place called The Old Dominion Club on Broad near 1st and/or Fushee where you entered from the alley between Broad and Grace. I was never in it, but did wait in line once for about 15 minutes after 2am before giving up. Wonder if it's still there?

Alcohol sales ceased at 2, but unlike anywhere I had ever been, the clubs remained open.

Not to say that this is the case for all clubs in Greensboro...

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Greensboro.. So how does our Elm Street stack up against your Shockoe Section of town as far as nightlife?

I've only read about all the night activity on Elm Street in Greensboro and it sounds very active, indeed!

In Richmond, Shockoe Slip and Bottom are generally packed with revelers after 10PM on weekend nights going in and out of dozens of clubs. At one time, there were 40+ bars in the area, but I think that number has dwindled somewhat in recent years. Uptown, a stretch of West Main Street in The Fan, has numerous bars and restaurants which attract large crowds, and the same is true in Carytown and in suburbia. Metro Richmond has more shopping options, per capita, than any place in the US and some say it also has more restaurants in the "per capita" category. There's one 5-diamond dining room and several restaurants claiming 4-stars.

The big entertainment news is the opening soon of two club/theater concert venues, each with restaurants, that will bring in prominent musical acts that have here-to-fore bypassed Richmond. One is Toad's Place in Shockoe Slip on the Canal, and the bigger one is the beautiful restored National Theater on Broad Street. Each will have a capacity of 1500. Toad's opens June 16th with a band whose name I don't remember, and the National opens in September with Widespread Panic.

Construction will begin in June on Richmond CenterStage, a restoration and expansion of a gorgeous 2000-seat theatre and an adjoining black box theatre, jazz club and other amenities in a portion of the famous Thalhimer Department Store. Both are on Grace Street between 6th and 7th -- a block from The National.

Come visit, Mr Downtown. :)

BGW, at the 2 private clubs you mentioned, don't you have to bring your own liquor and place it in a locker? Then bartenders mix drinks from your own supply?

I never visited the bar, but nobody I was with either time had a locker of liquor, yet we were drinking away. Granted that's been several years, and it's entirely possible I'd had a cocktail or 7 before ever arriving. :whistling:

There used to be a place called The Old Dominion Club on Broad near 1st and/or Fushee where you entered from the alley between Broad and Grace. I was never in it, but did wait in line once for about 15 minutes after 2am before giving up. Wonder if it's still there?

As far as I know, ODC's still there. It's funny- some friends and I were talking about ODC a few weeks ago, and we'd all been there a couple times, yet nobody could remember exactly where it was or what the place looked like outside. Makes my liver hurt just thinking about it...

I never visited the bar, but nobody I was with either time had a locker of liquor, yet we were drinking away. Granted that's been several years, and it's entirely possible I'd had a cocktail or 7 before ever arriving. :whistling:

As far as I know, ODC's still there. It's funny- some friends and I were talking about ODC a few weeks ago, and we'd all been there a couple times, yet nobody could remember exactly where it was or what the place looked like outside. Makes my liver hurt just thinking about it...

Hahaha! Watch out for the liver. :alc:

When I tried to get into ODC, I recall it was the rear of a building on the south side of Broad Street. They all look the same -- especially after closing a number of other bars -- but I'm pretty certain it was between Foushee and 1st Streets.

Were you sober enough to describe the interior?

I have a notion there are some private clubs north of Broad that cater to an urban crowd. I've noticed more than once on weekend visits mobs of people in and around Broad between Adams and 1st Streets after 2AM.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

The 2010 decennial figures are in from the US Census Bureau.

Richmond grew by 3.25% to 204,212 residents.

Chesterfield is tops with 316,236; Henrico has 306,935 and Hanover just missed the hundred thousand mark with 99,863.

From breaking news at today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...1970-ar-818847/

NOTE: While the above figures total 927,246 and are for the immediate Richmond area (the city itself and 3 adjoining counties), figures have not been released for contigeous cities and counties in the Metropolitan Statistical area where estimates bring the total Metro Area population to 1,200,000+.

I have totaled the 2010 census population figures for each of the 20 municipalities making up the Metro Richmond Statistical area. They are shown in bold face type on the following RTD list:

http://www2.timesdis...inia-ar-819738/

The population of these municipalities is now 1,259,257. That is an increase of 162,295 over the census of 2000. All but two of the locations gained population. The losers were the City of Petersburg and the County of Sussex.

Archived